Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aliens & Borg in Trek

Options
  • 18-05-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭

How come most species in Star Trek have both balck and white members but no Asian one :pac::pac::pac:

Also was watching Fist Contact over the weekend and then watched the Regeneration episode of Enterprise. So many questions and dodgy bits...

How does a crashed ship go unnoticed for 90 years, even if it is in the artic.

How do the borg operate, at the end of FC all the borg die cos the queen does.

Why are the nano probes suddenly so slow and crappy, both with the various aliens and Phlox (though in this case is sorta explained)

Did they recover the reckage of the destroy ship and if not why not

Why is Starfleet unaware of the borg in TNG if the incedent happened

Why is an episode that initially sounded good and involves the borg so utterly terrible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

two answers

Its Enterprise

Berman and Braga

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

well borg timeline has always been a bit "all over the gaf"

The hansans (7's parents went searching for the borg long before the federations first offical encounter with them)

so the federation knew of the borg though info brought by the el-orans around the time of ent B. Then we can assume the events of the ent episode regeneration must have been classafied.

Zephram cochran even had a drunkan rant about the borg.

To answer your question the federation had to have know about the borg

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

i work on the policy of disregard anything that happens in enterprise cause of the amount of times it conflicts with the rest of the continuity/cannon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

How come most species in Star Trek have both balck and white members but no Asian one :pac::pac::pac:

Also was watching Fist Contact over the weekend and then watched the Regeneration episode of Enterprise. So many questions and dodgy bits...

Why are the nano probes suddenly so slow and crappy, both with the various aliens and Phlox (though in this case is sorta explained)

Why is an episode that initially sounded good and involves the borg so utterly terrible

Hey Cookie,

A lot of the above is pretty much due to the lazyness of Berman, his team at the time, and that magical reset-button they keep hitting.

A small borg sphere could possibly go un-noticed for a while if it were buried deep enough in the ice. But really, even with the technology we have today, it would have been noticed.

Regarding the Queen's death. My guess is that the Borg as a whole can survive the death of a queen, but all of the nearby Borg and Borg ships are destoyed by the shock of it. Although this seemed to happen quite a bit in Voyager, so my guess is that Berman was going for the cartoon-villan approach, where the anogonists return regardless of small things like...their deaths.

Nano probes have become useless, because it suited Berman and Co. to have them that way. To actually have Phlox deal with the physical and mental trauma of assimilation (ala Picard), would have been very interesting...but alas would have involved work, and thus was not done. This trend appears to have started in Voyager, where Janeway and Co. also got assimilated, managed to get a vaccine for it, and were pretty much un-scarred.

The exact point where Starfleet know about the Borg can be hard to figure out. By the looks of things, Starfleet had known for years prior TNG about the Borg and did nothing. Not counting Enterprise, knowledge of the Borg would have come with the Ellurian refugees (Guinan etc...), back in Kirk's days. There's a scene in Scorpion Part 1 (VOY) where the Borg files are marked as Classified. Thus, they were probably not generally known about, even to fleet captains, until they are shown to be a threat. Q makes the point in Q-Who (TNG) that humanity had become complacent about the threats that faced it. Probably so much so, that Borg records were just buried in the Fleet records. That is, until the Hansens come along.

Regarding you final point on how the bad the Enterprise episode was..I copy and paste nyarlothothep's post. It's Enterprise, the show is all about ruining good ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

As Ms Queen, B. said herself "You think in such three-dimensional terms, how small you've become". ;)
    Dont forget that the Borg Queen was also destroyed in the cube that exploded as the end of "Best of Both Worlds" part deux :rolleyes: and it didn't seem to do her any harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Cookie Monster.

it's because all borg stories AFTER best of both world's stories are garbage.

borg could have become one of the top sci-fi villains of all time if they hadn't turned them into big sissy blouse wearers. and the queen was crap too.

your right about Asian aliens too. never noticed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Right , here go.

There has been. Voyager's "Blink of an eye" springs to mind.
    VOY_135.jpg

It crashed as earth was recovering from WW3. Once it was covered in ICE it would have been very unlikely to found unless they were looking for it.

These borg had no collective.

Better immune systems. This was said on screen.

No mention , so no reason to think they did/didn't.

Time paradox. Borg discovered earth because of Q in TNG. This lead to the borg in movie going back in time. The borg in the movie sent signal that sent the cube to earth.

This hadn't happened the first time we watched TNG. As I said , it's a paradox.

Because Voyager turned them from a terrible horrible enemy into cute puppies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Because Voyager turned them from a terrible horrible enemy into cute puppies.

And a hot lady.

/gets anorak, and phaser. leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

VOY_135.jpg

Well done! He's in a lot of sci-fi stuff too isin't he?

It crashed as earth was recovering from WW3. Once it was covered in ICE it would have been very unlikely to found unless they were looking for it.

But when they find it it's clearly not covered in ice. Also if it supposed to be giving off faint power signitures it would have regestered somewhere, even if they thought it was a downed aircraft or something. And surely in 90 years a satelite would have picked it up at some point!

Better immune systems. This was said on screen.

Only for Phlox, not the human or whatever other aliens they were

No mention , so no reason to think they did/didn't.

Surely they would have and with the amount of borg based semi future tech on it Starfleet would have advanced 200-300 hundred years in the space of about 20... Seems a bit of an oversight on thier part if they didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

johnciall wrote: »
    i work on the policy of disregard anything that happens in enterprise cause of the amount of times it conflicts with the rest of the continuity/cannon

i used, but this luxury is no longer available after the events of the most recent film.

Now the timeline is (as another poster said) The Events of F.C., All of Enterprise, The New film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

gatecrash wrote: »
    i used, but this luxury is no longer available after the events of the most recent film.

Now the timeline is (as another poster said) The Events of F.C., All of Enterprise, The New film.

True but the new films timeline is an AU so you can disregard itm, comic book fans have been doing this for a long time, look at how many different Batman or superman continuities their are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

johnciall wrote: »
    True but the new films timeline is an AU so you can disregard itm, comic book fans have been doing this for a long time, look at how many different Batman or superman continuities their are

we've always kind of regarded screen as cannon though....

personally, if it breathes new life into trek (which the film has), i can deal with having to accept enterprise!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is more than one borg queen though. All that was destroyed was a body but the queen itself is part of the collective, or more THE collective.
    Destroying a queens body did nothing. Its probably the case that the borg died when she died in First Contact because without her nearby there was no collective. They were too far from Borg space to link directly with the collective.

Remember Hugh? He was the lone borg that was so far from the collective that he could not hear their thoughts so he became an individual, though that in itself goes against what I said as he should not have been able to function.... then again was he not disabled? Perhaps in First contact all that happened was the borg went into a sleep state as they had to revive hugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

Probably because humanity was considered unworthy of assimilation at that point in time. The sphere remained frozen and possibly had no need to contact the Borg in the Delta Quadrant so they would wait until humanity had reached a period of technilogical advancement that would merrit their entry into the collective (a la Enterprise).

Let's all ask Berman.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

VOY_135.jpg

Well done! He's in a lot of sci-fi stuff too isin't he?

Yep he was in Crusade (a Babylon 5 spin off), Angel , ST Enterprise aswell, outer limits aswell I think

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

and Lost (Jin), he's Daniel Day Kim.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Ziggy_1972

Although I accept that different planets can have different continents, with different climates, producing aliens with different skin colour, I could never get past Tuvok's classic African looks, the hair, the cheek bones, the nose, the lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Ziggy_1972 wrote: »
    ....I could never get past Tuvok's classic African looks.....

there's a word for that

That's NOT what I meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

That's NOT what I meant!

but it could be taken that way

• Advertisement

Fair point, but what I meant was that he was supposed to be an alien, so they should have made more of an effort to make him less Earthish. I'd have the same problem is he had red hair and freckles.
    I've spotted Tim Russ as a Klingon in an episode of DS9, and he was totally believeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Fair point, but what I meant was that he was supposed to be an alien, so they should have made more of an effort to make him less Earthish. I'd have the same problem is he had red hair and freckles.
    I've spotted Tim Russ as a Klingon in an episode of DS9, and he was totally believeable.

well, most aliens in TREK are Earthish white people

Advertisement