Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which VW Golf to Buy???

• 13-05-2009 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭ Thomas Ashy Stepbrother

Hi I need some help with choosing a VW Golf. I am used to driving BMW's usually with 150Bhp or more but have decided to move to a fresher plate Golf (05 and up) I've got about 13k to play with but don't want to buy a car that I will be bored with after 5 mins. The 1.4 is out of the question because I drove one and found it gutless and too slow. There are so many different models and I don't know alot about them at the moment. A higher powered diesel would be my first choice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

am used to driving BMW's usually with 150Bhp or more but have decided to move to a fresher plate Golf (05 and up)

Do you mind explaining why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Maybe a 2.0 TDi 140 which can be easily remapped to 180ish if required. It's the only real high powered one that would fall within budget for a Mark V.

Could I suggest a Leon 2.0 TDi with the DSG gearbox? You'd have one in from the UK at that price and its the same car underneath

EDIT - Something like these:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1020999.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1018414.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Agree with EPM - The Seat is a much nicer car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭ Thomas Ashy Stepbrother

I want to get a Golf for the resale value. I've lost too much on 2nd hand beamers in the past. I know seat is the same car for less money but from experience it will be much easier to shift a Golf in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

The new SEATs look horrible though - like a mini mpv yoke. Go with a 2.0 GTI

GTI with DSG -13,500

Edit: - if your priority is resale value then diesel is your only man

• Advertisement

voxpop wrote: »

GTI with DSG -13,500

You do realise it's the Leon and not the Altea we're talking about - the one thats actually lower than a Golf?

OP, the premium you pay for the Golf will not amount to much come resale - all cars are hard to shift at the moment but diesel is def the way to go for resale. If you can't get a 2.0tdi Golf, a remapped 1.9tdi might suit - you'd have a good choice of those over here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

EPM wrote: »
    You do realise it's the Leon and not the Altea we're talking about

LOL - yes I realise that :D. I just think that the shape looks like a little mpv. Like if you got an mpv and shrunk it down a bit. Height off the ground has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I want to get a Golf for the resale value.

The irony! Golfs have good resale value, so that means that if you buy one second hand, you're paying too much. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I want to get a Golf for the resale value. I've lost too much on 2nd hand beamers in the past. I know seat is the same car for less money but from experience it will be much easier to shift a Golf in the future.

resale value? i could of had a 2005 golf GTi with DSG box last month for a little under 12k :eek:
    48k KM and full history. if i was you, i would keep the bmw as your gona lose on selling that.

what beemer did you have with 150bhp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I'd advise to hold tight with the beemer until you can afford to get into a '08 new tax band car.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    The irony! Golfs have good resale value, so that means that if you buy one second hand, you're paying too much. ;)
    Not true if you buy from the UK with cash. And not sure if irony is the correct word to use as the premium paid will remain when I would put the car up for sale in the future so you are not really loosing out. I think more people would be interested in an older VW than an older Seat in a few years time.

04 320d Sport.

kceire wrote: »
    resale value? i could of had a 2005 golf GTi with DSG box last month for a little under 12k :eek:
    48k KM and full history. if i was you, i would keep the bmw as your gona lose on selling that.

what beemer did you have with 150bhp?

Good advise, never thought of that.

04 320d Sport.

nice cars, i take it you have already sold it, so no trade in etc etc

imo you will lose more money on an 05 Golf then would have on the 04 320d.

nice cars, i take it you have already sold it, so no trade in etc etc

imo you will lose more money on an 05 Golf then would have on the 04 320d.

No not sold yet. Have had alot of interest though because I'm only looking for 13k.

No not sold yet. Have had alot of interest though because I'm only looking for 13k.

any links to a for sale ad?

i personally think your mad, but hey its your money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I second the golf GTI. 200bhp should keep ya happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Why does the GTi ad say 242BHP? I thought they were all 200BHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Only?

Edit: Actually thought you'd get one cheaper than 13k, 320d Sport that is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

lightening wrote: »
    Remap?

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    david wrote: »
    Remap?

that Golf in the link a few posts above is sold. and yes it had a remap to take it to 242bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

voxpop wrote: »

GTI with DSG -13,500

In fairness the mark V Golf is an absolutely horrid looking car, I really do not understand why it is so popular.

any links to a for sale ad?

i personally think your mad, but hey its your money :D

I'd have to agree as you've got a better car with your own one. You'll lose more money going for the Golf

The Golf premium is steep but seriously, the resale isn't as good as it once was on them. Also, I'd nearly argue the BMW will be the more reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP I think you are making a grave mistake in that the only reason you seem to be choosing a Golf is because of it's resale value. If it was me that reason would be well down my pecking order of buying a car. At the end of the day cars are not investments so the best thing to do is get value from them while you own them rather than thinking of what it is worth to the next owner.

Also you say you are sick of loosing money on BMWs then why not save your money and keep the car you have. Trying to beat the depreciation game by changing frequently is futile especially given the times we live in. I've been there, done that and it's expensive and pointless in my experience. You will be back in the same position in a year or two time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If you're afraid of depreciation then sell the beemer and buy a mid-90's Almeara for about €500. It can only depreciate by €500 then! A Golf will depreciate too, you don't buy a car as an investment unless you care to spend a LOT of money on it. (Ferrari F40 kind of money). Keep the beemer. In 4 years time you'll sell it for similar money to what you'll sell a 05 Golf for, and you'll have saved yourself the cost to change now.

Advertisement