Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rule clarification: Match play playoff

• 12-05-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Strange situation, would love to know what the expected judgement would be.

Player A and B are playing match play, end up even after the 18th hole, so it has to go to a tie-break.

Player A has a handicap of 7 above player B, and so had an extra stroke on the holes index 1-7, one of which was hole 1.

Tie-break is normally conducted on hole 1. Does player A get his extra stroke again?

Any rulebook pointing on top of an answer would be great :p

-Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

Player A would have shots again on index 1-7 generally first hole is never index 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Hole 1 was index 6 in this case, would player A have his extra shot again in this case?

If Hole 1 were index 1, what would happen?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes he has the extra shot again

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

The higher handicap player receives a shot on every hole with an index less than or equal to the difference in their handicaps. This does not change if the hole is played twice. Some courses it favours the higher handicap, on some the low. It is also a rule that the holes are played in order until the match is decided; i.e. you must play 1,2,3, ... up to 18 again, you can't just play down 1st and back up 18th until the match is decided, because you're too tired to go far from the clubhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Spot on, thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Wow..... I gotta say that I dont think that this is the case. I have played a lot of matchplay and many games have had to go past the 18th and the shot allowance never carries on!
    The match is started obviously on the first hole and the player that is higher in the handicap is given his shots for the match, in this instance it is 7 shots. They are given to him on holes indexed 1 to 7. In the event of a extra hole being played is that not the 19th hole and so on?
    In effect the allowance has been used and no more shots are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Wow..... I gotta say that I dont think that this is the case. I have played a lot of matchplay and many games have had to go past the 18th and the shot allowance never carries on!
    The match is started obviously on the first hole and the player that is higher in the handicap is given his shots for the match, in this instance it is 7 shots. They are given to him on holes indexed 1 to 7. In the event of a extra hole being played is that not the 19th hole and so on?
    The player recieves an extra shot if he is entitled to it as per the index of the hole.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Shot is definitely given on the extra hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Paulusmaximus

Stroke allowance given in the event of extra holes.

Link to the CONGU rule on it below:

http://www.congu.com/template1.asp?pid=26

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Of course you'd give/receive shots...
    Imaging a scratch player playing a 26 handicapper... what chance would the high guy have if he had to play flat up 19, 20, etc?
    Some older courses have a low index 1st hole which would be tough in sudden death...
    Kilkenny is index 2, 10, 5 for holes 1, 2 & 3.
    The first is index 4 in Carlow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Yes the allocation of shots starts all over again in extra holes.

If the first hole is index one then the higher handicap player would receive a shot at this hole.

Scrabo's first hole was/is Index 1.

Contrary to popular belief, the indexing of holes is not based on which ones are the hardest (although it is normally based loosely on that basis). The indexes are meant to be spread between the two nines and the low index holes are meant to be allocated to the middle of the nines - hence in a playoff the first hole should not be index 1........however they didn't follow this rule at Scrabo (maybe they have changed this since I last played there).

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

The way it plays in our club that if handicaps are equal then it is sudden death. if there is a difference in handicaps the match continues in groups of 3 holes until a winner is decided. obviously the shots carry on through the extra holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

wrong matt

shots apply again at same holes

• Registered Users Posts: 41 8under

The rules clearly state that strokes are to be taken as they arise even when matches go to sudden death. Interestingly, Appendix G of the Congu UHS, has a recommendation where strokes should be allocated avoiding the lower indeces at holes 1 & 18 etc for matchplay situations. In matchplay it says that the allocation of the hole index should not be based on hole difficulty but on ".. a uniform and balanced distribution of strokes..". My club has adopted this recommendation for matchplay competitions and produces a separate matchplay scorecard. It uses a "normal" card, based on hole difficluty for all par, stabelford and bogey competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

Obni wrote: »
    The higher handicap player receives a shot on every hole with an index less than or equal to the difference in their handicaps. This does not change if the hole is played twice. Some courses it favours the higher handicap, on some the low. It is also a rule that the holes are played in order until the match is decided; i.e. you must play 1,2,3, ... up to 18 again, you can't just play down 1st and back up 18th until the match is decided, because you're too tired to go far from the clubhouse.

Is that in the Rule book. Just in case I'm ever in that situation I'd like to be able to say - 'well, in page ....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭joanmul

Obni wrote: »

Just saw a later post answering my question.

Advertisement