Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone care to share their story? Part 2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Kine

Great thread, thoroughly enjoyed reading people's stories....lets me live in hope.

Mine is still pipeline, will post whenever it begins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

Granty2007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments. The shop is located in Dublin South Side and I would prefer not to name as this was not meant to be a PR push for my shop, just a bit of help if anyone was interested in my story. Thanks again..lets hope i can post here in six months with great success!

Hmm, I too am an Enterprenewer!:)

Granty your story brings back memories, I think I may have attended your Atari and Amiga sessions being a computer junkie from early childhood...

Was that the club in the Northstar hotel?
    That was when the Internet wasnt so well known, I trawled BBS boards for apps and software...with 19,200 bps modem !!

Also your business and shop?!

Around dublin at the time there was a string of shops called Computer City...

Did you have anything to do with them...

In my old Amiga days myself and a friend setup the Backfist Public Domain software club and advertised life-time membership for £20 and £1.50 per disk copied (public domain of course!). We stopped trading after a year...;)

Those were the days....

My current business is IT applications and is working out quite well...
    2 years running and going strong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anthonychopper

It's really great to read some inspirational stories here. It goes to show that if there is an idea and a will, then there is a way. Help from family and friends always seems to be a help. I started my idea just over 2 years ago offering property photography to estate agents, auctioneers, developers and private sellers and renters (viewit.ie). Its been a slow process here in Ireland as its all about networking, who you know etc. But at the end of the day its about persistance, a belief in your idea, your self and the market you enter and knowing your product/service is a good one. Many factors are out of your control, espc. these days, but sit on yer arse and you won't get anywhere. The best advice i was ever given was from an uncle of mine when i was about 12; "learn as much as you can in any job and when the day comes you leave it, start your own business and do it better". simple advice, but simple is best. If you don't try it you will always ask yourself..."what if!". If it works you win. If it fails at least you won't be kicking yourself asking"what if". Anthony.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

Inspiring thread full of inspirational posts. As a young wannabe entrepeneur Ive taken alot from this that books or months of asking around could'nt offer.

boards.ie is an invaluable resource i must admit for any walk of life!

keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

I would share my story, but there are two essential strategies in business:
    1.Never reveal all you know...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lynskey wrote: »
    I would share my story, but there are two essential strategies in business:
    1.Never reveal all you know...

Very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yeah, but thats not the spirit of the thread.
    Read the title of the thread.......its sharing your business story, not your secrets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

great thread..but we need a few more stories to inspire us....god knows we need every piece of good news we can get!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

hello all
    left school at 13 got a job laboring with my local builder, always wanted to be the boss, always wanted to be a millionaire

by 16 i was getting sick of being told what to do ,i had my own money saved up, so i used it as collateral and financed my first digger.
    by 17 i had it paid for and bought 2 more, 17 and 3 people working for me.

when i turned 18 i had a very tough year, learned some valuable lessons and got stung badly enough to nearly go bust,i think this made me stronger in the long run as the expierence i got from this was invaluable

worked day and night all over the country, and at 20 i set up my first civil engineering company, thats when the big jobs started, so i set up 3 more civil engineering companies, one in connacht ,one in leinster, and one in munster, never really depended on the builders to keep me going, so i was lucky enough in one way,
    we carried out work on wind farms and motorways and pipe lines,and hospitals, have several companies now and still in my early 20s ,not a millionaire but happy, and comfortable, and most importantly still trading

and hopefully woll be around to see the next recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 asweepstake

Hi,
    I took redundancy last year from a job as a bookkeeper. Thought it would be dead easy to get a job so applied to do a Fas course on bookkeeping or financial adviser. Both courses withdrawn due to downturn. Spent 3 months trying to get just 1 reply to job applications. Dole wanted rejection slips or said I was just sitting back claiming money that wasnt really mine. I was told I had to go on course to train me in interview techniques and how to prepare a cv or my dole would be stopped. I wouldnt mind but it was only €180 per week. Had my chimney swept before Xmas and got talking to the guy who was doing it. ended up he has set up the Chimney sweeps assoc. of Ireland csai.ie and runs a traing school. I took the six day course sat the exam and now am a certified sweep and chimney inspector. with a small outlay for gear I am now in business and earning up to €400 per week in off season. I now have my confidence back and am in business for myself... There are at todays date only about 30 certified sweeps in Ireland and he wants 400. Fas is also going to be behind the scheme. My advice is get in now dont be number 399...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hi,
    I took redundancy last year from a job as a bookkeeper. Thought it would be dead easy to get a job so applied to do a Fas course on bookkeeping or financial adviser. Both courses withdrawn due to downturn. Spent 3 months trying to get just 1 reply to job applications. Dole wanted rejection slips or said I was just sitting back claiming money that wasnt really mine. I was told I had to go on course to train me in interview techniques and how to prepare a cv or my dole would be stopped. I wouldnt mind but it was only €180 per week. Had my chimney swept before Xmas and got talking to the guy who was doing it. ended up he has set up the Chimney sweeps assoc. of Ireland csai.ie and runs a traing school. I took the six day course sat the exam and now am a certified sweep and chimney inspector. with a small outlay for gear I am now in business and earning up to €400 per week in off season. I now have my confidence back and am in business for myself... There are at todays date only about 30 certified sweeps in Ireland and he wants 400. Fas is also going to be behind the scheme. My advice is get in now dont be number 399...:D

Congrats on getting up off your arse and doing something! It's exactly people like you using their initiative to get off the dole and trying to earn something for themselves.
    But surely it isn't good for you if the day arrives when there are 400 certified chimney sweeps....

Hi,
    yea you would think that but actually I can only sweep and inspect about 7 chimneys a day thats 2100 per year at 6 days a week and there are over 1 million in Dublin alone so if there were 400 in Dublin only there woyuld not be enough in theory. At an averahe of €60.00 per chimney I think I can take the pressure tho' and that is without all the other stuff like bird guards, closures chimney fires, bird nest removal etc...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Hi,
    yea you would think that but actually I can only sweep and inspect about 7 chimneys a day thats 2100 per year at 6 days a week and there are over 1 million in Dublin alone so if there were 400 in Dublin only there woyuld not be enough in theory. At an averahe of €60.00 per chimney I think I can take the pressure tho' and that is without all the other stuff like bird guards, closures chimney fires, bird nest removal etc...:D
    Good stuff. It's a dirty job but someone gotta do it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

asweepstake. i admire you, but most of the homes in dublin use gas or electricity nowadays, havent heard of someaone buying coal for a long time.some houses nowadays dont even have chimneys. i really wish you well, i really do but with 400 sweeps out there, things will be tight.

• fair play for doing something sweepstake but aren't they going to be banning the use of coal fires because of the impact it has on the environment?

Or if not, surely they will at some stage as businesses and governments try and be "Greener"

:rolleyes:Yes indeed they are trying to ban smokey fuels such as bituminous coal but the Dept of the Environment says that all flues for oil or gas where cleaning is deeded (in all cases) should be swept once a year, smokeless coal once a year, bituminous coal (ie Polish) twice a year and believe it or not the only really usefull alternative to smokeless coal is wood or turf and these are recommended to be swept up to 4 times a year so stoves etc while very economic need very careful maintainance (expensive). Unfortunately oil and gas IS going to get very very expensive...especially is this government has its way...What causes greenhouse gasses is carbon and even gas causes this. The by product of burning gas (or any carbon based fuel) coats the flue with deposits which when mixed with any moisture creates sulphuric acid. This acid eats through all liners in chimneys making them less efficient and prone to breaches. solution replace them (expensive) or eventually die from Co poisoning. Bet no one told you that tho'!!!....The way to deal with this is to have your chimney swept at least one a year to eliminate these by products in the chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

With respect, I dispute the DOE's assertion that a chimney needs cleaning twice a year if burning Polish coal. Had mine cleaned last year (feeling it would be fairly clogged after 8 years of moderate use) and they guy admitted it hardly needed doing. My dad used to do it about once every 6-8 years for a chimney under regular usage. I'd say once every 3-4 years is more than enough to be safe unless there's a fire in the hearth 365 days a year.

That being said, good luck with the business and fair play to you.

Thanks for that but you are forgetting Creosote which is different to soot. creosote is what burns in a chimney fire and builds up over time maybe years,.Creosote cannot be removed by just sweeping and may need chemical or physical removal. Bet you get your car serviced only when it breaks down as well ignoring the pollution it causes and probabely the grinding noises too....sorry! this is exactly what we are trying to change.Your Father making a decision about you and your family based on absolutely no knowledge whatsoever....In Poland (where most of the coal comes from) when the coal merchant comes to deliver he must inspect your certificate issued by the sweep to make sure it is in order before he can deliver. In France you must get your chimney inspected every year or your house insurance is voided. In Germany you may not deny the sweep access at any time and the police will enforce entry if you do...Portugal and Belgium Italy and all of Scaninavia are the same as France...Ireland do not want to deal with the issue so it just does not exist... simple. I can garantee you have problem with your chimney merely because you have ignored it for so long.......especially if you burn wood or turf or any plastics or food containers, even occasionally...You need to get it checked properly. Please you really do. Cheers:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I can vouch that the chimney sweep (der Schornsteinfeger) in Germany has to be admitted once a year on a set day (not anytime he feels like it mind!) to inspect and if necessary clean the flue/chimneystack etc. if you have individual central heating (like a gas boiler, as I do). I was away when he called this year and there was a big red notice condemning me to the depths of hell for not being there on the day! It mentioned this law and that law and additional costs and all sorts. In the end he came around again and just inspected (I barely use the gas) and gave me the cert.

I believe that this sort of system should exist anywhere there is danger to others (ie, apartment blocks) but i don't believe individual houses should fall under it because if you want to risk death by carbon monoxide that's your own business IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

what happens if a house doesn't have chimney pots?. where do the fumes go from the gas fires? how do you sweep what isnt there? i'd say if the govt.realise that there's money in them there chimneys, then i'd say watch out, the chimney SS are coming.

• Advertisement

Even gas has a Flue, whether into an existing chimney or if you look on the roof you can see the vent. O.K.some are barely visible but they are there.Some just vent through a wall (balanced)but a flue none the less.These are cleaned at time of servicing the boiler by the engineer...You hope!! Think about it, If you burn fuel you get waste. Even a car has a flue. Admitadly super ser type heaters do not but the manufacturers state you must have a window open.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

Getting back to the point of the thread, I think a lot of people start businesses for all the wrong reasons (hate their boss, bored in their job, hobby they think they can make money at etc)

Running my on company/companies is all i ever wanted to do.

At age 9/10 i was selling toys door to door (my sisters weren't to happy- the toys were theirs!)

In primary school I noticed that a lot of my school mates had no snack for breaktime so i decided to open a tuck shop operating out of my locker.

In secondary school I continued with my tuck shop, coming up against a lot of hassle from teachers as I was competition to the school tuck shop. But my competitive advantage was that I opened earlier, offered quicker service and was cheaper (lower over heads:)
    I also rented bikes out to guys who lived close to the school but wanted to get home quickly for their lunch- the school was outside a large country town.

In college I started organising raves and battle of DJ's etc- this was the 90's after all!
    Things got a bit hairy as I got bigger names over from the UK and Europe as I was stepping on some dodgy promoters toes.

Today I have 3 companies operating in 3 diverse industries. I employ approx 90 people.

For what its worth, my pearls of business wisdom are-

1. KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid
    2. Don't get emotionally attached to any business or person in your organiation.
    3. Plan, Plan, Plan.
    4. Don't buy what you can't afford
    5. Export, Export, Export- Ireland has only 4 million people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 binzibonza77

Hello there, I'm Ben,

Myself and my wife and brother in law are setting up a business to get in to video production. I have just joined Boards.ie, I'm 32 nd should know better, but this is the first thread I have ever replied to. Please accept my apologies if my thread reply is not answering any particular thread that has been posted but I'm having a go all the same.

I have a question and wondered whether anyone would be able to help?

On the A1 form you need to complete to incorporate a Private Company Limited by Shares, there are two sections I'm not sure how to complete:

Subscribers to memorandum and Company Capital and Stamp Duty Statement. The first part shall be completed I suppose once I have completed the Memorandum (which is another thing I need to work out). Do he directors simply have to sign this section. There's no one else involved in our company.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what to complete in the Company Capital and Stamp Duty Statement?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
    Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

Ben,
    I have never done the company registration process myself but I do realise that it can save a fwew hundred squid if you do it yourself. I saw a segment on TV3 recently about a new website called register a company.ie so I uised it to register a new limited company that I wanted to get started. I think it cost me a little under €180, it took a few minutes and I had the stuff inside 2 weeks. As far as I am aware I think the CRO will charge you €100 anyway and wont come across any quicker with the stuff.
    It cant hurt to have a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

shoutman wrote: »
    Great post Cormie, I'm still in college for at least another two years (probably three), like a lot of people on this thread I have lots of ideas but don't know where to start.
    That said I already have started uber small sending off an email to a company who I hope to become an affiliate of selling their product around College and to my social circle.
    Hey Shoutman,
    college is a great place to be for gathering information. A lot of the colleges have business incubation centres now.They run training courses and have guest speakers in. I highly recommend you check out if your college has one- it's a great resource. You don't need to have your big idea to get on their mailing list & tune in to the events they are hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey Shoutman,
    college is a great place to be for gathering information. A lot of the colleges have business incubation centres now.They run training courses and have guest speakers in. I highly recommend you check out if your college has one- it's a great resource. You don't need to have your big idea to get on their mailing list & tune in to the events they are hosting.

Thanks for the advice random stranger.
    I'm a student in DIT which has a great incubation centre in Hothouse http://www.dit.ie/industry/hothouse/

They organize guest lectures which I have gone to and are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Nice one Shoutman,
    I heard good things about them. When you get an idea you want to run with it is worth finding out if they have resident experts to advise you on developing your business (for free).

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

hi everyone

thought i would give my fiver worth to this...

I started out on my own in May 08 just as the recession started to bite. My then boss was devastated at me handing in my notice as i was responsible for 45% of the companies turnover. He told me i was mad and that i should stay as things were really bad in the big bad business world.

I to be honest had lost all faith in the man, during the boom he got carried away with himself and his lavish lifestyle was basically affecting the day to day running of the company. Paying €15k of a mortgage per month plus mad holidays and k-club membership does this. As i had worked for him for 12years i thought that he would have my back or as he said "any probs you always have my ear" First problem i had in march 08 and he turned his head.

We were in business with a large dutch company and from the day in 01 that i walked into there showroom and saw there set up i said "i want to work with these guys" problem was they had an Irish agent.

Anyway over the next 7years we became good mates and one night over a few beers in Amsterdam i called him a lazy boll*x and told him that with the agency he had he should be retired at this stage. At lot of home truths came out that night and we didnt talk for a few weeks after that.

He called me and said that i was right that he had become lazy etc and that he only really had max 7 years left in the business and that he would like me to come in under him for a few years and learn the ropes.

In a heart beat i said yes, so i became a sub-agent and it is now my plan to buy him out within the next year as i can see the potential.

On the money side i had saved €30k, €9k went towards a deposit on a commercial jeep to carry samples. The other €21k was lodged into the business account to pay salary and expenses. In my old job my package was basically €100k in my own company in year one i paid myself €54k plus expenses.

So if anyone out there thinks that this is the step to printing money think again. Its very rewarding in other ways but i knew when i left that my take home was going to go down big-time. In january next year my salary will increase by €10k and i hope to me able to start paying myself the odd bonus.

I love working for myself and i would find it very hard to go back to employee status again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 raimie

Ben

I just did documents online for rgistering limited company. Cost €75 plus €100 CRO fee. Seemed very straightforward. lets hope all goes through CRO ok. You can check it out on www.registeracompany.ie. I have no involvement in this, just thought it made formfilling simple and not very expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mylove

This is a great thread. A lot of positive entrepreneurial experiences. Hats off to you guys..

Has anyone on here had success with internet income? There are so many of those 'get rich quick' schemes - that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about real internet marketing. Generating decent income (not millions) from marketing online. Any success/failure stories?

Advertisement