Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When will google update Google Earth, Ireland?

• 16-11-2008 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

It's been the same for quite a while now. I've been waiting for some updates showing maybe the Rock of Cashel and some of the midlands. Any idea when the next spate of imagery will be available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dave connolly

I have the same question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I know but it's ridiculous that the rest of the country isn't mapped. Most other west European countries are - they've shared their OS aerial photography with Google Earth. We could do that too; see here and zoom: http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

savage linkage to osi there, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Google street view was in Drogheda on Friday.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Google did streetview for Amsterdam recently with hilarious consequences. I did some "virtual walking" around the the Dam and saw two rather Irish* looking chaps smoking a joint with their faces unshielded.

Brownie points to the first here to find them.

*May not be Irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Haha that's a funny link. The amount of things that can be found in just one city.
    If I see the Google Earth van I'll probably hide - knowing my luck I will be caught doing something embarassing for the whole world to see

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As I was pulling out of my estate this morning, the street view car was turning in. Pity I didn't have the car washed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I read somewhere it will take 12 months before we see the images updated for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

I thought they were just doing the main cities for now by the car passed my parents at camden fort in crosshaven, Cork last week!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Furet wrote: »
    I know but it's ridiculous that the rest of the country isn't mapped. Most other west European countries are - they've shared their OS aerial photography with Google Earth. We could do that too; see here and zoom: http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx?id=&utype=&ecom=S1&user=

Holy crap, that's a class link, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Dublin has been updated to views from 20th September 2008. They are much better resolution images.

Great to see.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Waterford City is still not mapped. I'm trying to map out high-res river pictures for my trips. Boosheet!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Google Maps Streetview is available for Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

I noticed loads of Google Maps data has been refreshed for parts of Ireland this week. Looks to be image data from.. July or so. Lots of areas have got higher-res images too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

Just wondering if anybody has any info on when the whole country will be updated on google earth.
    Getting a bit tired of only being able to see half of county Carlow clearly.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

Some new imagery updates have been added to Google Earth/Maps, mostly Northern Ireland but some parts of the Republic too! This link highlights the new imagery with a red rectangle: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http:%2F%2Fmw1.google.com%2Fmw-earth-vectordb%2FImagery_Updates%2F02-10-2010_Imagery_Update.kmz&sll=3.688855,-8.261719&sspn=112.23009,184.570313&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=13.923404,-31.640625&spn=110.750828,184.570313&z=3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone having problems with GE ? mine loads up for about 2 seconds and just stops.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with GE ? mine loads up for about 2 seconds and just stops.

Mine is working ok for me at the moment. Is it working now for you? A few people were reporting problems with Gmail, so maybe the Google servers weren't working to their full capacity for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Just tested and it seemed to be working for me fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

I'd say its a tough job to update Ireland! They're waiting for a "good summer" so the satellite images won't be just cloud cover :D

I'd say its a tough job to update Ireland! They're waiting for a "good summer" so the satellite images won't be just cloud cover :D

So I'll except updated coverage in about 20 years or so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭B11gt00e

So I'll except updated coverage in about 20 years or so :p

They got a few images of the beautiful northwest updated there lately, which was very nice, as the whole of the Dun na nGall had been covered by a Gigantic cloud for seemingly forever...

Although I sent a kmz to my brother down under and he said that the place looked as brown and as barren as the Falklands... just a pity we don't have hydrocarbons lying under it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

I was just looking at google earth - why the f*ck haven't we got street view yet? It's all over the north!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

the north does have streeview.so when will the rest of the country be covered does anyone have any idea at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Google have all of Ireland mapped for streetview. They are just holding back release until they have some other news relevant to Ireland to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    Google have all of Ireland mapped for streetview. They are just holding back release until they have some other news relevant to Ireland to go with it.

/off to blow up the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

And people wonder why we're 20 years behind the rest of the world...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

lil_lisa wrote: »
    And people wonder why we're 20 years behind the rest of the world...

They do?

Advertisement