Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes 190e (classic or future classic)

• 29-04-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

While there are still some of these on the road, they are becoming rarer all the time. In my opinion they were almost the last of the real mercs. There are some nice 92/93 examples out there. They seem to have added lots of extras on the later models, abs, a/c. etc. There are also some classy colours on these and the good thing about them is that they seem pretty rustproof.
    Any other fans of these out there and which models do you like best. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Used to have a 1990 2.0. In sexy black

mercsmaller.jpg

Dsc00098.jpg

The ideal w201 is prolly a 2.6 auto with leather and a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

I bought a w201 2.6 black/grey auto on adverts at the start of the year for €550. It is a 1990 Irish car with "Sportline" spec. Overall in very good condition, but needs a few grand to get it immaculate.

It is currently in a shed behind a baler and a few tractors, but it is safe and dry. When you see it on the road you will know the current recession is over! :)

I bought it because I just have always loved the w201 since I was small. I am not sure if it will ever be any more of a "classic" than the w123, but they are a wonderful little car and very underrated, especially compared to the w124 and 3 series of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

maidhc wrote: »
    I bought a w201 2.6 black/grey auto on adverts at the start of the year for €550. It is a 1990 Irish car with "Sportline" spec. Overall in very good condition

Bargain!

I always liked the baby merc - back in the 80s I used to regularly get a lift from a company director (in his mid 30s) with a brand new 2.5 16V. He used to explain the latest fiscal tricks to me while doing 200km/h on the motorway :D

With hindsight, maybe it was then that I subconsciously decided I would own a high quality car with a bit of poke some time in the future :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

I have owned few and currently run a 2.6 auto and a 2.5-16 man. Great cars (well I'm biased) and I'd say excellent value, under rated with first class handling and great build quality. The 2.6 is the best allrounder, several times covered from here to south of London with ease and good pace. But the 2.5 is special, use it as a daily driver and nobody takes a blind bit of notice which is nice but got to be careful of the boys in blue (no comments please!) as it's still very quick even by todays standards.

Anybody that's thinking of buying a 190E and wants a bit of info PM me if you wish, if I can help I will .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I was offered one of these recently,a mint 1990 2litre auto with two years test for 1500 quid,need front brake discs,but is a lovely car otherwise,kinda toying with the idea of taking it.
    How much would brake discs be?

• Advertisement

I was offered one of these recently,a mint 1990 2litre auto with two years test for 1500 quid,need front brake discs,but is a lovely car otherwise,kinda toying with the idea of taking it.
    How much would brake discs be?

I suspect €30ea, go for Zimmerman, ATE for both disc & pads. Service items are not expensive. I find the OTTO the best and the local motor factors can supply most service items.

Thanks lads,any other things that should be looked out for?

Check for rust around the rim of the boot lid under the rear window if its got a sunroof, the drain pipes are in that area if they are blocked then rust shall follow.

Check the cooling fan cuts in (the sensor can fail) listen for the main drivebelt, should be silent and smooth running. Pop off the oil filler cap and see if you can lift the timing chain (should be duplex 1990) with a screwdriver. Pop off the covers on the jacking points and check for crumbly metal - another potential rust trap. They are just visible on my car above. If it has rear electric windows check them - most seem to give up at some point as the wiring breaks. Check the temp dials both work (one for each side)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I bought a w201 2.6 black/grey auto on adverts at the start of the year for €550. It is a 1990 Irish car with "Sportline" spec. Overall in very good condition, but needs a few grand to get it immaculate.

It is currently in a shed behind a baler and a few tractors, but it is safe and dry. When you see it on the road you will know the current recession is over! :)

Yeah, I remember that car - I was eyeing it wantonly too at the time. Best of luck with it, you bought a nice car!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Pop off the oil filler cap and see if you can lift the timing chain (should be duplex 1990) with a screwdriver.
    Im guessing if it can be lifted it means that its worn?

Well it means either stretch or that the tensioner needs replacing. Tensioner is the cheaper option and DIY friendly with a big socket set.

Check for rust around the rim of the boot lid under the rear window if its got a sunroof, the drain pipes are in that area if they are blocked then rust shall follow.

Check the cooling fan cuts in (the sensor can fail) listen for the main drivebelt, should be silent and smooth running. Pop off the oil filler cap and see if you can lift the timing chain (should be duplex 1990) with a screwdriver. Pop off the covers on the jacking points and check for crumbly metal - another potential rust trap. They are just visible on my car above. If it has rear electric windows check them - most seem to give up at some point as the wiring breaks. Check the temp dials both work (one for each side)

Mike65, point about rust is correct especially if it's a UK import due salty roads.

1. Water ingress into the boot - very common, caused by rear screen seal perished and sunroof drains coming adrift at the exit points on each C pillar at the exterior air vents. The seal is the main issue.
    Also rear lamp seals & boot lock button seal perish, again allowing water ingress to occur into the boot.

2. Sills & jacking points - check for rust, advisable to inject waxoyl or similar which is very easy to do via the rubber grommets and the rubber jack points.

3. Plastic cladding (doors, wings & rear 1/4 panel) all rust traps, only way of correctly checking is to remove them.

4. Inner front wings to front panel - check for rust again.

5. Battery tray - suffers from rot, drain hole beside can get blocked.

Others items: Heater matrix gets blocked giving poor hot air , wiper assembly should lubricted, fuel pump relays €80 fail as do OVP €120 (over voltage protection) relays which effect fuel injection etc, blocked fuel filters are not unknown €20 and worn dizzy cap €18 & rotors €10 are common (use Bosch). Window switches & motors pack up. Rattle on start can be worn engine mounts €45ea.

Suspension: Rear links, 4 ea side, front wishbones & ball joints

Drivetrain: Prop rubber couplings x 2, centre bearing. Diffs get noisey but will go on forever. Rear subframe mountings 4 in total.

Steering: Idle arm, drag links & damper become worn.

That should give you a good idea give you a good idea of what to look for. The most important part is rust.

Ah the battery tray, I forgot to mention that cos mine didn't have one! It had completely oxidised, cleared out the bits and with help from my boss (a farmer) we concocted a new fitting for it out of angle iron and some big sheet metal screws.

Ah the battery tray, I forgot to mention that cos mine didn't have one! It had completely oxidised, cleared out the bits and with help from my boss (a farmer) we concocted a new fitting for it out of angle iron and some big sheet metal screws.

Mike, advise strongly you paint the iron if you hav'nt already as thats a massive catchment area for water. You can sill but new trays from Mercedes-Benz, can't remember the cost but not expensive.

Its someone elses problem now - sold it for an Audi A6.

Its someone elses problem now - sold it for an Audi A6.

Ah, shame on you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cañitas

i used to own a 91 auto 190e in black...great car but went onto the w123 which was better. the 190e developed a hole in the radiator hose which i kept meant to get fixed until i blew the engine at the airport roundabout...i since have developed a nervous tick with looking at the engine heat dial... never forget that goddamn day...the girlfriend at the time probably doesnt either..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Seems to be a few fans out there alright. I have been offered a lovely almadine red (burgundy) one recently at a reasonable price.Needs some work though, usual stuff drivers seat bolster etc a bit worn , sounds like wheel bearing on passenger front in trouble and car has 170 k on it. Still looks good though. So I'm tempted even though I don't need it. Nct is also just out. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

I ran a few of them from 1997 till 2005. The one thing that I really liked was that they are so DIY friendly. Good sound honest engineering. If you need to remove something IT will go back exactly right. I loved them. I did sit back into one recently,and it felt old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭tc20

I too also have a soft spot for the W201. As the OP says i would consider them amongst the last of the bomb-proof Benzes, they're practically a shrunken S-class (W126). I dont think you realise how many are still out there on the roads until you start looking for them, this is imo due to the fairly bland design of the bread and butter models - no offence meant to W201 fans, i like the simple lines myself, and think the car has aged quite well because of it.
    Which model to go for - well who wouldn't want an Evo I or II? :D but in the real world it all depends, a basic 190D will just keep plodding along forever, a 2.3 or 2.5-16 for a bit of poke or the 2.6 as a smooth cruiser - there's one for everyone. When i was choosing my last car it came down to a choice between a 2.3 W201, a W126, or the W123 280 which i eventually went for.
    I still wouldn't rule out getting a W201 at some stage in the future.
    I think its 25 years this year since they were launched??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 chuppachee

Yeah,what a car. I bought a 1.8 190e for €800 a couple of years ago. It has the big badge in the grille, but the black plastic grille itself, got broke (due to the chrome surround splitting from rust at the bottom centre). Anyone know where there is a grille insert for the big badge? (don't need the surround)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Another 201 fan here. I've never owned one but it was the first Merc that I drove legally on the road and I loved it.

I would love a smoke coloured model, preferably a 16V but I'd settle for any W201 in good shape, with factory alloys.

The 190E Exklusive was the run out model and came in some very nice colours. Plenty left around too. The W202 was a softer car all round, still good, but not in the same class as the W201.

When at the show in Essen I oogled over several concourse W201's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

I know a chap with an 84 2.0 who wasn't let into a vinatge show, he was told it wasn't a classic, to add insult to injury, the next car into the show was a 90's Mini!

My brother sold a 92 1.8 last year with head gasket trouble, 1.8 engine was replaced with a 2.0, it was a lovely car except it was a manual, kept hitting my leg off the bottom of the wheel when using the clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

shawnee wrote: »
    Seems to be a few fans out there alright. I have been offered a lovely almadine red (burgundy) one recently at a reasonable price.Needs some work though, usual stuff drivers seat bolster etc a bit worn , sounds like wheel bearing on passenger front in trouble and car has 170 k on it. Still looks good though. So I'm tempted even though I don't need it. Nct is also just out. :rolleyes:

Was it this one?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055522247

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Blue850 wrote: »
    I know a chap with an 84 2.0 who wasn't let into a vinatge show, he was told it wasn't a classic, to add insult to injury, the next car into the show was a 90's Mini!

My brother sold a 92 1.8 last year with head gasket trouble, 1.8 engine was replaced with a 2.0, it was a lovely car except it was a manual, kept hitting my leg off the bottom of the wheel when using the clutch.

.........try keeping your legs inside the car whilst driving, works out much better !! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Funny man ha ha ha....:D
    Since I posted last, a mate has rang saying his sister has bought a 02 Merc and she needs to sell her current car

A 93 Merc 190 2.0 manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

thegen wrote: »

This is probably a better bet, VRT already paid and a nice reg. I have been watching it, and were my job a little more secure I would be tempted:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/872155

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

This is probably a better bet, VRT already paid and a nice reg. I have been watching it, and were my job a little more secure I would be tempted:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/872155

Now that is nice.

Advertisement