Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events: ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Well done Morlar. A great and specific report. I had a set of medals in the auction that did not sell. Maybe I should have been buying? Anyhow the next show is in the Agricultral show grounds Ballintemple in Cork on saturday week and also on the sunday. Its called Battle of the Ages and sponsored by the Cory County Council or Mayor or something like that. There will be Romans, Vikings, Celts and other medeval groups there, I think the Romans are bringing a Balista which should be fun fun fun. There will also be some military vehicles and re enactors there including myself. The next one after that is the Curragh the week after. Duncannon is on last day of May and first two days of June. I just heard that Salute is back on and will be in the same location on 29 and 30 of August.
    Thats about the size of it.
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 paddywhack262

tom did you have the job lot of British stuff in as i might be interested in one or two things that was in it!but yeah interesting auction!i was surprised at some stuff that didn't sell but i guess its the sign of the times!

Hello Paddy.
    I had offers for items from the lot after the auction but I am not splitting them up. Its a nice little collection and will be sold together.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 paddywhack262

no thats fair enough! thanks for the reply though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi Tom,is it this saturday and sunday the show in Cork is on?? and is the agri showgrounds the showgrounds near the gaelic grounds?

• Advertisement

Yes the show is on, I will be heading down of the Friday. The weather is not supposed to be great but its a break anyway. Its on Saturday and Sunday in the Agricultural Showgrounds in Ballintemple and as far as i know it is in fact near the football ground.

Regards.
    Tom.

Thanks for that Tom,I'll try and make it up there myself all going well and may talk to you then.

Cork show has been cancelled.They intend to do it later in the year. The Curragh show is on the weekend after this one.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Typical:(

• Advertisement

That baby looks like shes in fine nickTom,are you upgrading for something else?

I am upgrading/downgrading to a Landrover FFR LWB pre 78.
    There should be some good stuff at the Curragh as its the first big show of the year.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Some video from the Saturday when we are setting up and settling in.
    More to come when I have them uploaded.
    Regards.
    Tom.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP3lnwRgcPk

some good stuff Tom,video is a nice addition to the events page,how did the show go? nice half track too,do they have any stalls there selling anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZM3407vTjc

One more short video to add but willdo it tommorrow. There was lots of militaria stall there, more than last year. I picked up a few nice bits myself. I was there from the Friday and was wrecked by sunday evening. When we were driving off from the show in a 101 and a DAF YA 126 we looked behind and there was a big Regular army tank behind us. We had us a convoy for a while, great fun. Passed the regular army on the way there and on the way back, confused the heck outta them. fun fun fun

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Tom, did you know you can embed your You Tube video clips in your posts like this.....

Hit QUOTE on this message to see how it's done.

Great videos... I subscribed to your channel on You Tube.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Nice videos there :)

Thanks guys. As I do more shows I will post images and videos for ye.
    Last one;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aT6Ltc1vN8

Hi Tom,was that stuff for sale in the last video or was it someones collection,second question if you were displaying items would you have to constantly watch them or are things generally safe enough with the public,I remember seeing somewhere that there was some deacts stolen at Beltring(I know its England but here isn't much better at times),that happen much in regards to all items

• Advertisement

All the stuff you seen on the stall was for sale and can also be bought on ebay from seller harp12v6q. Items on display are generally very safe (theftwise) from those involved with the show. The public are a different matter, and are not to be trusted. If it is valuable you have to lock it down or keep it behind glass. Beltring is a thousand times bigger that the Curragh show. I am heading off there in July. Probably my last visit to the place due to the recession and lack of disposable dosh

I know the feeling:(.I bought a medal off him before,if its the same person he's from Cork city,he had some amount of Vickers helmets for sale over the last few years,not the best condition mind you but worth picking up for there scarcity.Its a pity the general public are like that,theres always someone out there looking to scam somebody,still 99% are probably fine just a matter of being careful I guess.

'he had some amount of Vickers helmets for sale over the last few years,not the best condition mind you'
    I have never seen a vickers helmet in good condition. Garry has a good name for honesty and reasonable prices. There were other stalls there mostly army surplus and airsoft also another guy from the north who had lots of expensive stuff available.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I have never seen a vickers helmet in good condition
    the ones he had for sale looked like relics compared to the ones that were coming up for sale on ebay,some of them were still in great condition,if I could afford one its definately something I would love to add some day to my own stuff,and if that fails sneek up to the Curragh army barracks with a shovel:D

Dont forget guys and gals that there is a fair in the North Star Hotel in Dublin this Saturday from 10am. Its a fiver in which is too much so I dont go. If anyone is going perhaps you might post a report here afterwards?
    Regards.
    Tom.

Ok guys I guess no-one was at the fair. Feedback from the sellers was that it went better than the last one. Now then there is a show on Saturday and sunday on the whit weekend in Duncannon fort. Lots of re-enactors, guns artillery, military vehicles and a big battle on the beach on sunday. There will be military stalls there also.
    I am selling my baby
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/Front.jpg

and if it is not sold before then I will have it at Duncannon. I am going for a fully fitted FFR landrover instead.
    If you are interested give me a pm.
    The show is a cracker and well worth a visit.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Duncannon images
    I have only been at this living history thing about three years but this years Duncannon was the best show of any previously done by me. I am not great at taking video but did so anyway and will upload some over the next few days. Remember most of it was taken at the very beginning when stuff was being set up and the rest of the time I was busy....enjoying myself. Crowd numbers were way up, Paul Merton filmed most of Saturday. Every half hour there was a new demonstration put on by all the multi period groups. I even did a bit myself when the Tipperary/Cork Flying Squad Column IRA type guys stepped into being, simply out of an idea.
    I burned the face off myself. The wife gave me some sun block but would I use it? Eli Wallach in The good the bad and the ugly hit it on the head when he said to Clint Eastwood (he looked like I did) 'Dont die Blondie!!' To the organisers I say many thanks for all the kindness shown to our humble selves and roll on next year!! Saturday, after the Massacre on the beach between the Yanks, Brits, and Germans the local pub was visited and not only was there a band but two hen parties paid a visit. Walking wounded were well tended. I forgot to say that this first clip was taken by 101 Sean Ryan in one of his moments of madness for which he is so famous for, go on ya good thing Sean!!
    I will start uploading some video from Duncannon. Use them as you wish.Anyone else who has footage please add them here.
    Regards Lobster face Tom.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MapFXOw34YE

I forgot to mention that Arnhem44 turned up and we had a good chat.Nice to meet chatters and interested patries. It proves that if you want to know something about re-enecting, collecting militaria, inert or replica weapons dont ask the next guy in the pub for advice, get to one of these shows and ask those who know and they will steer you straight. As I have always said in the past, do it right and you only have to do it once.
    I will be posting more videos over the next few days, each clip takes about 8 hours to upload.
    Next show is Salute and will be even bigger than Duncannon.
    Recession? what recession?
    Regards.
    Tom.

Duncannon2009043.jpg
    Duncannon2009046.jpg
    Duncannon2009050.jpg
    I must say this is a great day out and by the size of the crowd this is a very popular event,some great displays and re-enactments going on all day and as Tom said some good advice on all aspects of collecting to be had,all you have to do is come along and ask.Also there was a few stalls there selling militaria and airsoft as well as the Denix replicas which seemed a big selling feature with the crowd.Well done to the organisers
    Duncannon2009002.jpg
    Duncannon2009005.jpg
    Duncannon2009008.jpg
    Duncannon2009010.jpg

• Advertisement

I am uploading video links on this forum below so you just click on the links and enjoy.
    http://new.livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=957
    Let us know what you think and any comments are most welcome.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Advertisement