Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Uniforms

• 27-04-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

I'm slowly going through my DS9 dvd's and i'm just wondering. somewhere near the start of season 5, there is a uniform change from the coloured ones to the grey ones. i'm just wondering why the change and why t never seemed to be adressed...it just kind of happened...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Wasn't it to reflect the more military like nature of what Starfleet had become as it was more practical in battle etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I don't think a change of uniform (and there has been a few) was ever address on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

there was also the diffirent uniforms between TNG and VOY (and first 4 seasons of DS9), where the black and coloured parts were reversed, (from black shoulder, red/blue/yellow chest to black chest, red/blue/yellow shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

there was also the diffirent uniforms between TNG and VOY (and first 4 seasons of DS9), where the black and coloured parts were reversed, (from black shoulder, red/blue/yellow chest to black chest, red/blue/yellow shoulders.

That's right, I was just thinking that last night.
    Was watching Way of the Warrior :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Niska

Make their first DS9 appearance in Eps 10, Season 5 (Rapture). However, they first appeared in the movie ST: First Contact - apparently the uniforms were held back until after the movie debuted.

Wonder if Garak got the contract or if they just used the replicators...?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They were introduced in First Contact because they wanted a better looking uniform for the big screen. Might aswell port them over afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I rember that being the reason at the time aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

In Generations, I think Picard was wearing the TNG uniform and Riker wearing the new reversed one. Very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Vokes wrote: »
    In Generations, I think Picard was wearing the TNG uniform and Riker wearing the new reversed one. Very odd.

They switch around several times. eg in the scene in Stellar Cartography with Picard and Data.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Vokes wrote: »
    MetalDawg wrote: »
    They switch around several times. eg in the scene in Stellar Cartography with Picard and Data.

LOL, was watching that the other day. they change uniform types all over the place:D

First some random helms-ensign has the new one, then riker, data, picard and so on... maybe they introduced it on certain shifts first:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Maybe they only had a limited amount and had to share uniforms till they got back to earth :D

chamlis wrote: »
    Maybe they only had a limited amount and had to share uniforms till they got back to earth :D

Would the replicators not be able to handle that though. Simply dump old one in and new one comes out same shape and size and all...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

yea the moved over to the contact uniforms on ds9 just cause they had lots of extras left over from the film and they looked good . i always wonder why vovager never changed i mean they where surpose to have great recycle/repulcator technology.

But yea Star Trek Generations is a mess, lol according to memoryalpha.com

''Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner were the only cast members in Star Trek Generations to have custom early Deep Space Nine and Voyager-style uniforms made for use in the film? Jonathan Frakes had to borrow Avery Brooks' uniform and LeVar Burton had to borrow Colm Meaney's uniform; neither of which fit the actors very well (Frakes had to roll up the sleeves and Burton's is obviously too big for him). ''

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

i always wonder why vovager never changed i mean they where surpose to have great recycle/repulcator technology.
    But they were lost in space... wouldn't have been aware of the change in uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Goodshape wrote: »
    But they were lost in space... wouldn't have been aware of the change in uniform.
    They must have been pretty embarrassed when they arrived home! In fact I seem to remember Janeway cutting the conversation with Admiral Paris short now when she noticed they were wearing the wrong colours!

I agree, Voyager had bigger problems than following starfleet etiquote(sp?), hence why the prime directive was thrown out the window whenever convienent. Honestly, who did they have to answer to? the grey uniforms do look badass though.

edit: At least Janeway finally got one on Nemesis

Goodshape wrote: »

From "Message in a Bottle"* onward they would have been...

*The one with Promethius and the 2 EMH's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

The Grey uniforms where for the Dominion War, it would stop the enemy identifying prime targets on a battle field.

In first contact the Dominion War was already happening has Worf was Captain of the Defiant.

Admiral Paris was wearing one because DS9 ran half way through Voyager and if you remember Torres went nuts when she found out the Mar'kee had been wiped out.

They find this out when the Doctor goes back to the Alpha Quadrent and saves that proto type ship from the Romulans....

The Grey uniforms where for the Dominion War, it would stop the enemy identifying prime targets on a battle field.

In first contact the Dominion War was already happening has Worf was Captain of the Defiant.

Admiral Paris was wearing one because DS9 ran half way through Voyager and if you remember Torres went nuts when she found out the Mar'kee had been wiped out.

They find this out when the Doctor goes back to the Alpha Quadrent and saves that proto type ship from the Romulans....

if that's the case, then why didn't they switch back after the Doinion war ended? i.e. Nemesis?
    Either way, grey uniforms kisk ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭FGR

Because there was the ongoing war with the Borg; so why not keep the more practical uniform?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

By First Contact, the Dominion Cold War was on, but the full-blown Federation - Dominion War hadn't started...yet.

Insurrection was set during the War itself, (and it seems odd that the best enemy they could come up with were those lame Son'a. Come-on! Throw in some Jem Hadar! That might of saved that movie! :D)

I had always wondered about Voyager not changing their uniform at all. What's more, even the Equinox crew were in the Generations uniform (although they were probably stuck in the Delta Quadrant for longer). I had always reconed that they could just replicate the new uniform. However I do remember the following conversation from Caretaker, when Neelix first boards and asks Tuvok about the repicators.

Tuvok: The replicators can produce anything you may need.

Neelix: Can it make me a uniform like your's?

Tuvok (annoyed): No...It most certainly can not.

He may have just been trying to discourage Neelix, but it may also be the case, that the uniform actually needs to be manufactured for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

No it wasn't. See when the initial Dominion ships are about to enter the Alpha Quadrant and Sisko is talking to Kira (I think) about how it's the perfect time since Starfleet is weakened by the recent Borg attack, Cardassians and Klingons are weakened from their war etc. Watched it not too long back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Rawr wrote: »
    By First Contact, the Dominion Cold War was on, but the full-blown Federation - Dominion War hadn't started...yet.

Insurrection was set during the War itself, (and it seems odd that the best enemy they could come up with were those lame Son'a. Come-on! Throw in some Jem Hadar! That might of saved that movie! :D)

I had always wondered about Voyager not changing their uniform at all. What's more, even the Equinox crew were in the Generations uniform (although they were probably stuck in the Delta Quadrant for longer). I had always reconed that they could just replicate the new uniform. However I do remember the following conversation from Caretaker, when Neelix first boards and asks Tuvok about the repicators.

He may have just been trying to discourage Neelix, but it may also be the case, that the uniform actually needs to be manufactured for some reason.

That would have been much better. They could have started the film with Picard saying, "the fed have been at war with the dominion an alien alliance blah blah blah...", then cut straight into an all out action blockbuster fest. It would have been great and a complete success at the box office if done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

One thing that always bothered me about Voyager (its still a really good series IMO) was that their weapons got a random update while they were isolated in the Delta quadrant
    From this
    cpr.jpg

to

then back to
    P110_25.jpg

What happened did they lose them? If they got a phaser upgrade, why not a uniform one? How did they get the upgrade at all?

Rawr wrote: »

Thats a great quote:)

But in the real world it should have gone:

Tuvok: Not a ****ing chance mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

c0mpliant wrote: »
    One thing that always bothered me about Voyager (its still a really good series IMO) was that their weapons got a random update while they were isolated in the Delta quadrant
    From this
    cpr.jpg

to

then back to
    P110_25.jpg

What happened did they lose them? If they got a phaser upgrade, why not a uniform one? How did they get the upgrade at all?

I think it's been suggested (no source I'm afraid), that the Voyager had the newer Type 3 phaser-rifle in stock since launch, and simply had no need for them until those crazy CGI monster flys came onboard. Also, since the rifle was brand-spanking-new at launch, they probably only had a handfull of them. Thus, the older crappy-looking ones would have to used most of the time.

Production-wise, the new Type 3 rifle made it's debut for Star Trek First Contact, depected as a sort of Anti-Borg ass-kicking phaser, (which becomes useless fairly quickly.) It is by far my favorite Fed weapon, since it actually looks like something that can kill.

Since they needed Janeway to go all 'Sarah Connor' for the CGI monster-fly episode (name?), I'm guessing that the production staff needed a genuine rifle for her to wield (as a opposed the fork-shaped stick they usually used). Thus, the First Contact Type 3 appears on Voyager...confusing us all..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

There have been several uniform changes, none of which ever got mentioned:

Kirk and co. went from the 2260s primary colours to the 2270s bland, dreary uniforms to the flamboyant and patently awesome 2280/90s nautical red uniforms.

TNG season one and two featured those embarrassingly form-fitting spandexy-type, low-necked uniforms. There was a red pinstripe runing across the collarbone. This was updated to the more likeable, collared uniform that wasn't quite as snug (although the extras were forced to wear the old-style, then they added collars to them but they still fit a little too snug!).

Picard and co wore the DS9 uniforms in Generations as the TNG uniforms didn't hold up well on the big screen (according to the commentary).

DS9 switched from the utilitarian black with coloured shoulders to the more badass First Contact uniforms to reflect the darkening days of the 2370s. Starfleet was kneedeep in hostilities and besides, I liked the texture (don't like the white dress uniforms though, eugh).

To be honest wouldn't it have been a bit too Fourth Wall for the characters to verbally note the change.
    "I see the budget allowed for an upgrade, Captain!"
    "Yes, now we can engage with FLAIR!"

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

I'm slowly going through my DS9 dvd's and i'm just wondering. somewhere near the start of season 5, there is a uniform change from the coloured ones to the grey ones. i'm just wondering why the change and why t never seemed to be adressed...it just kind of happened...

They forgot to add pockets to the red uniforms. :D

Advertisement