Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post a video of your swing

• 18-04-2009 3:34pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Sunny day and no golf makes licksy something something....
    so I took out the camcorder and tried to make a video of my swing in the garden.
    And here it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Another Big Phil.

That reminds me I need to get the camera out on my swing to see how I am pushing my drives.

Wondering what would be the best position to set the camera up for?

I think it is my hands are just behind the body which is causing it.

Only talking fractions.

Very frustrating though.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Don't think anyone else will bother now that yours is decent Licksy! I feel sick when I actually see my swing on video. Have had 8 months out more or less now, maybe it'll be fantastic when I get back into it!

Only possible critique I see on yours is that you seem a little bit off balance at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

maybe it was the baby crying in the back swing put him off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Licksy,

Not sure if my swing would make it past the sensor. It might be considered a video nasty;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 PhilMickelson

Too much bend in the right arm at top:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Licksy wrote: »
    Sunny day and no golf makes licksy something something....
    so I took out the camcorder and tried to make a video of my swing in the garden.
    And here it is.

Nice swing, even better in person, but by your standards that was a little quick, usually you seem not to swing hard at all an knock it a country mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I take it thats you sheet..... to my fairly untrained eye that looks class, exactly how I would like to strike the ball, nice easy rhythm.... fair play man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭jampotjim

Nice swing... With a nice smooth rhythm..

Is your bad shot a low hook???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

nice swing. you play the ball very far back in your stance, like myself. Do you get much height on your irons?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

More than a hint of Paul Casey about you there, nice video ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Par72 wrote: »
    Now that's class.

+1

Great clubhead speed and still looks smooth as silk.

jampotjim wrote: »
    Nice swing... With a nice smooth rhythm..

Is your bad shot a low hook???

Was a bit of a pull hook yeah but that video is back in January. I've improved a good bit - That little lateral movement before take-away is now gone, I'm taller through impact and less of a sway into the ball and obviously the club is not as shut at the top. Sure, I do miss left sometimes but in saying that, I never miss right.
    nice swing. you play the ball very far back in your stance, like myself. Do you get much height on your irons?

Hmmm, I think it's the camera angle - I don't play it far back really at all. I hit every club in my bag higher than anyone I know. My pro is happy with this as it's a natural quirk and doesn't lose me yards.

Haha, cheers. Better than what my pro says... Bob Tway!!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

That's exactly what I thought when I first watched it......in fact I first thought that he was posting Casey's swing for a laugh.

Nice rhythm and a very good swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

stockdam wrote: »
    That's exactly what I thought when I first watched it......in fact I first thought that he was posting Casey's swing for a laugh.

Nice rhythm and a very good swing.

Yep, the follow through is very Casey-esque. Lovely rythym to the swing Sheet. Interesting that you say about hte changes made. At the start of the take-away i initially thought the shoulders were going to sway to the right, but then you hold it perfectly still.

I have a vid of a swing from around January, but it's a work in progress just now so i'll post in a few weeks with an updated one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    +1

Great clubhead speed and still looks smooth as silk.

My coach wouldnt agree......trying to clear my head away at impact annika style though not as much, stops me getting trapped and keeps the club in front of me, other than that im quite happy! Just glad there aint a thread for putting strokes.......lol

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    Interesting that you say about hte changes made. At the start of the take-away i initially thought the shoulders were going to sway to the right, but then you hold it perfectly still.

Yeah, I've just always had this tendancy to move laterally - most likely trying to generate more power. In January, that little move away from the target caused a few fat shots. And to hit it clean I kind of hat to sway back the other way to compensate.

These days I think I've pretty much eliminated all unecessary lateral movement - especially on the way back, and instead just turn away and turn back. Coupled with staying taller through impact, the difference and consistency of strike is huge. Much cleaner hits, less steep, longer, shallower divots and much more flexibility of shot in terms of how easy it is to play a low one, a 3/4 one, above/below feet etc.

Sheet Rants About Coaching - Part III Volume 1
    These are basic, basic things I've been told since I was a kid. IMO, though fundamentals are the most obvious and simple elements of the technique, they are by far the most important and the hardest to master and then maintain. I can see how teaching pros find it awkward when a student returns for lesson after lesson and they begin, again, with refining the basics. I can see why the customer can think "we've done all this, I know all this". And I can see how easy it might be for the pro to say "yeah, great improvement from last time, now let's work on your swing plane..." because if they don't, the customer could well feel like little progress was being made and move to another pro.

The guy I go to these days has given me the same lesson about 5 times. And I'd had that same lesson about 6 times before from my two previous teachers in my 10 years of playing (minus 2 for a break). He doesn't tut when we cover old ground again. Nor does he feel he has to have something new for me, just to give me the sense of progress and so I can tell my friends I'm working on a new and highly technical manouever. It's nothing out of the ordinary to him that we work over and over on the basics. To the contrary, he reminds me how the tour players do the same.

I feel like I'm learning alot. At the same time, with my marketing hat on (my profession), I can really see where all these highly technical swing ideas, DVD recordings of lessons etc have come from.

Of course, there's a stage you get to when the most technical analysis and development is required. Similar to equipment we use and where we get to a stage where we need more percise clubs, custom fit for us. I just think that 99% should be getting oversize, offset, regular shafted lessons when in truth a lot of us seek, and are getting extra-stiff blade lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

Lads, I came here looking for swinging videos.

I feel very let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

swing is bit too fast... try keep your left arm straight (it breaks a bit) on the backswing and shorten the backswing a little... other than that it looks better than most

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Yeah, I've just always had this tendancy to move laterally - most likely trying to generate more power. In January, that little move away from the target caused a few fat shots. And to hit it clean I kind of hat to sway back the other way to compensate.

These days I think I've pretty much eliminated all unecessary lateral movement - especially on the way back, and instead just turn away and turn back. Coupled with staying taller through impact, the difference and consistency of strike is huge. Much cleaner hits, less steep, longer, shallower divots and much more flexibility of shot in terms of how easy it is to play a low one, a 3/4 one, above/below feet etc.

Interesting. I recently had my swing videod in a simulator and it showed a bit of a sway on the way back. I have the tendency to catch the odd shot fat. I'm working on trying to keep my right side and head very still (like there's a wall beside my right side).

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

The guy I go to these days has given me the same lesson about 5 times.

Anjd who is this wonderful genius that is coaching you these days. Seems like he is doing some good work...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

El Camino wrote: »
    Anjd who is this wonderful genius that is coaching you these days. Seems like he is doing some good work...

No need for the sarcastic reply. Most amateur players have at least one basic flaw in their swing that they will keep going back to unless they have very regular lessons. Mine is my right side breaking down on the back swing, meaning i can't transfer my weight properly on the downswing. I've had the same lesson about it 3 or 4 times.
    The point he was making is that his coach does not try to over complicate things and gloss over a basic error in his technique to be seen to be working on something more complicated such as swing-plane as a lot of coaches would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Dub6Kevin wrote: »
    Lads, I came here looking for swinging videos.

I feel very let down.

hows this swing for ya....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Aint no way I'm postin up my swing now after the three that have just gone up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 A.Necessiter

Take a look at this vid, it'll help you understand the fundamentals of the basic golf swing in plane english.:D

I'll post mine in the next few days when I get a chance to vidieo it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Here is my good self at Royal County Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxS7kWAvAWs

And at Corballis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Bztfd_kHc

apologies for the links but i dont know how do embed the videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Here is my good self at Royal County Down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxS7kWAvAWs

And at Corballis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Bztfd_kHc

apologies for the links but i dont know how do embed the videos.

You didn't leave anything after you with that tee shot in the first link!
    Nice drive.

P.S. How's that Wilson 3-wood working out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Nice swing Thundercat. Looks a bit like Philip Walton's - especially the backswing.

Playing Corballis at the weekend. Looking forward to seeing those new holes. Hopefully the weather is kind too.

Advertisement