Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Final Fantasy VII Overrated??

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

noodler wrote: »
    but what else but opinions are what determines the relative greatness of a game?

again youre suggesting that the quality of the game has nothing to do with it, and its more down to public perception of the game, which again i label as ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Helix wrote: »
    again youre suggesting that the quality of the game has nothing to do with it, and its more down to public perception of the game, which again i label as ridiculous

Look up the word relative.

You are just being argumentative for the sake off it now. The title of Greatest Game Ever will be decided upon by people, people with opinions, if nobody thinks the game is great then it is hardly going to be considered great.

You can't use a set of rules or values to establish agame's effect on somebody on an emotional level. How the story grabbed a particular person, how one minigame as judged repetitive by one and addictive to another. Quality may not be subjective but picking out one game from a line of other great games certainly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

This is causing fierce controversy:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

funal fantasy seven is by far one of the best games ever made, whoever said its overrated is talking crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

IMO, it's one of the best games I've ever played, but it is slightly overrated, mainly by the FF fanboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

regob wrote: »
    funal fantasy seven is by far one of the best games ever made, whoever said its overrated is talking crap

Funal Fantasy? Jesus that sounds Doooorrrty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In a perfect world, but people's perceptions of a game are ultimately what decides whether or not a game is great.

I know what you are saying but even a review is a person's opinion and all reviews would be identical if it were the case.

Thats rubbish. We've all seen best of lists that were voted in by the public and been apalled by them. A popularity contest shouldn't decide how good a game is.

Suikoden 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga are so far ahead of FFVII that it's criminal that people think FFVII is better. However they won't win any popularity contests because nobody has played them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Final Fantasy 7 is overrated as it was the first JRPG for a lot of people played due the advertising Sony did in europe and they assume there was never good JRPGs before it. I still remember FF7 ads on the TV being played a lot. I don't remember many other RPGs having such attention bar maybe pokemon.

Seriously, FF7 is awesome and was a gateway JRPG for most people. I love it and have a copy in my draw. I love other final fantasy games as well but Suikoden 2 is probably the best JRPG i've played though i haven't played Xenogears and a few others.

I just think its overrated due to how extreme the fans big it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

There's a reason why FFVII holds a special place in the hearts of many people; it was the first jrpg that many of us played (I know it was for me anyway). I had never dabbled in the likes of Phantasy Star or the earlier FF games and was blown away by the story telling and atmosphere of the game (never thought too much of the gameplay but that didn't matter when the other parts were so good). THe game had me absolutely hooked, I had to find out what was going to happen next.

You have to remember as well that this JRPG had much more exposure than any that went before it due to Square's defection from Nintendo (caused quite the stir at the time) so more people were aware and intirgued by the game (I hadn't heard of Final Fantasy up until that point anyway).

I think these are the 2 reasons that has lead to FFVII being "overrated". I booted it up there recently; it didn't stay on for very long;)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thats rubbish. We've all seen best of lists that were voted in by the public and been apalled by them. A popularity contest shouldn't decide how good a game is.

Suikoden 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga are so far ahead of FFVII that it's criminal that people think FFVII is better. However they won't win any popularity contests because nobody has played them.

Why should one anarok's opinion have more weight than millions?

Everyone is entitles to their opinion of course but it is elitist to believe that one person's opinion is more important than the will of thousands.

By the above logic any potential best game ever could be disregarded with a "yeah but you haven't played X or Y". Nobody can play every game and the majority of people have to make an opinion based on what they have played. The millions that think FF7 is the best game ever have as much right to their opinion as those who have played every JRPG under the sun.

Of course a large group of people's opinions make a game great. Even if the game was crap to you or somebody else the fact so many love it proves there must be something to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why should one anarok's opinion have more weight than millions?

Because the general public are idiots. They like coldplay and think U2 are the best Irish band ever amongst other sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A lot of people like crap things, that doesn't mean all things that have a huge following are bad.

Sorry Retro, thats just being elitist.

Theres nothing crap about FF7 in any case. We can't discount the opinion of the general public because you don't agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    think U2 are the best Irish band ever amongst other sins.

Ye i know, everyone knows that Boyzone are the greatest irish band!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Somewhat unrelated, and I like JRPGs but, saw this today and thought twas funny!

Theres nothing crap about FF7 in any case. We can't discount the opinion of the general public because you don't agree with them.

Well I never said FFVII was crap, it's far from it. However I'd be more inclined to take the opinion of a single expert that has experienced a wider variety of games than the general public. We never see games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Suikoden 2 in public polls because not many people have played them. Find someone that has and more than likely they will agree that they are far superior games to FFVII. The problem with the populist view is that only games that have been successful and played by a large portion of people will even be considered. Just look for top X lists from people who know their games and compare that to thelist by idiots like the guys at screw attack (that wasn't an attack on the general public it's just the guys from screw attack don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to games).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I must be one of those idiots.
    I dont really like JRPG's mainly for the slow battles.
    I did however play FFVII years back and it was the one and only i ever tried.

It had me hooked for a while but i got bored.
    Kudos to you people that play them. Not my thing.
    Might try again to some of these so called new and improved better ones

Advertisement