Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

I have my IST at the beginning of May but doesnt look I will be able to go....my Dad is from North Armagh and would be ashamed of me joining the PSNI because he sees them as the people who terrorised him as a young adult....even though he has been living in Dundalk for 30 years and I am from here! Its a pain because it looks as though AGS wont be recruiting for a while now.....damn it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭integra1

Pity that, tell your dad nearly 30 percent of the force is now RC and reflects the whole community through professional, progressive policing!! just my thoughts! wouldn't let it put me off but every one has their own opinions etc.... It is Not the RUC anymore not that I personally have any disregard for the old force at all. All the best what ever you decide to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cliffy33

hey all. i was only taking the miss i just repeated wat she said. :P```

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

integra1 wrote: »
    Pity that, tell your dad nearly 30 percent of the force is now RC and reflects the whole community through professional, progressive policing!! just my thoughts! wouldn't let it put me off but every one has their own opinions etc.... It is Not the RUC anymore not that I personally have any disregard for the old force at all. All the best what ever you decide to do.

I completely agree with you but was talking to Mammy and she warned me off even mentioning it to him. Not saying he is a violent man but he got a doing over from the old force so it still leaves a sour taste in the mouth....he knows I wanna be a guard so much so hopefully he might suggest the PSNI when he sees the gardai are not recruiting:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

I have my IST at the beginning of May but doesnt look I will be able to go....my Dad is from North Armagh and would be ashamed of me joining the PSNI because he sees them as the people who terrorised him as a young adult....even though he has been living in Dundalk for 30 years and I am from here! Its a pain because it looks as though AGS wont be recruiting for a while now.....damn it!!

im the same! ive told my mum shes great about it really supportive obviously worried about my safety but has no issue with me joining! :D
    my dad on the other hand im not even going to mention it to him my mum reared me and i dont think its any of his business what i do, i just dont want the ear ache either, he'll get some shock seeing me in the uniform some day :P part of me does wonder if hed be alright about it but i dont want to chance it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

im the same! ive told my mum shes great about it really supportive obviously worried about my safety but has no issue with me joining! :D
    my dad on the other hand im not even going to mention it to him my mum reared me and i dont think its any of his business what i do, i just dont want the ear ache either, he'll get some shock seeing me in the uniform some day :P part of me does wonder if hed be alright about it but i dont want to chance it!
    best tim e to tell him is when/if you pass your IST and AC. and have your vetting forums. then it will show potiential. if i am making sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

smyff wrote: »
    best tim e to tell him is when/if you pass your IST and AC. and have your vetting forums. then it will show potiential. if i am making sense

Yeah i'm not telling anyone until I find out if I pass the IST and AC. I know my family would be more than supportive but i don't want to get anyones hopes up and it take the pressure off doing well.

nah i'll wait until he sees me out patrolling some day and ill just say surprise!!!! :D:D ahh a green face like my uniform :D:D he doesnt need to know it doesnt concern him :cool:

Hi all can someone give me advice please. i hav college exams at the start of may and if i get my IST date and it's during them would i be able to change the date if i gave enough notice?

cliffy33 wrote: »
    Hi all can someone give me advice please. i hav college exams at the start of may and if i get my IST date and it's during them would i be able to change the date if i gave enough notice?

im the same! but luckily ive an exam the day before my IST the rest are after, but print a copy of your timetable and if theres a clash send Deloitte a copy, the letter said they'll get back to you within 10days i think i didnt pay too much attention beacuse it didnt affect me lol :D but they do make allowances if you need it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

I just applied again on friday to be safe (dont tell the mrs!), still waiting on appeal! Grrr!
    Better get the pencils out and dusted down!! Bring it on! Good luck to mrs gene hunt and pyg, and whoever else didnt make it last time. These boards are our home...for now...its kinda like a boarding school!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

manaka wrote: »
    I just applied again on friday to be safe (dont tell the mrs!), still waiting on appeal! Grrr!
    Better get the pencils out and dusted down!! Bring it on! Good luck to mrs gene hunt and pyg, and whoever else didnt make it last time. These boards are our home...for now...its kinda like a boarding school!! :P

Thanks mate, best of luck to you too I'm sure you'll be grand!:D

yeah good luck to everyone. i dunno when the first date is so ill just say it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

yeah good luck to everyone. i dunno when the first date is so ill just say it now

Its V soon I think i have one of the first ones ill let you know once i have done it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭emz2009

i know its not that long at all! Im thinking im in the same boat as you slave to sound with one of the early ones i just cant wait to get it over with! nervous :S

Heya all got my date for my IST. Wat a balls tho had to be the day of my first college exam. Does anybody know the best way to try and change the date??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Che75

Given the sensitive security issues viz a vis test locations and dates, etc. it's emerged that all candidates are advised to attend the IST with pixelated faces or a black rectangular strip hovering around eye level. Thanks.

Che75 wrote: »
    Given the sensitive security issues viz a vis test locations and dates, etc. it's emerged that all candidates are advised to attend the IST with pixelated faces or a black rectangular strip hovering around eye level. Thanks.
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Everyone knows Pixelated is soooooo last season dahling. This season its all about being in shadow with an actor speaking for you!!!!:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DC Dibble

Has anyone any idea of the kind of maths we'll be expected to do in the IST. I've aquired a few books on psychometric tests but the range of mathmatics contained in them is frightening, and im sure not all of it could be covered in the tests. Although I could be wrong, its been known to happen:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

I thought it would be like the 11 plus. Its not the complexity of the maths nor the verbal reasoning. Its about the time. Bring a stopwatch. I didnt. My friend doing it for the second time did. Regrets...... I have a few.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

I thought it would be like the 11 plus. Its not the complexity of the maths nor the verbal reasoning. Its about the time. Bring a stopwatch. I didnt. My friend doing it for the second time did. Regrets...... I have a few.....:(

........but then again, too few to mention...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DC Dibble

I was hoping I could pull a Hiro Nakamura manouver (Heroes BBC 2 for those who aren't hooked) and freeze time till I was happy with how i'd done the test.:D On a serious note I was planning on bringing a stopwatch, its just me and maths aren't the best of buddies :confused::confused: and if had a reasonable idea what to expect then Im sure I could prepare more effeciently as opposed to filling my head up with stuff I will not need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭RoscoPColtrane

Look. After last time I'm totally armed to the teeth with books. Do they Help? Who knows. Its been a long long time since the 11 plus. I depend on a calculator at work so much that I cant add 2 and 2. Ballpark 3 til 7. That much I know. The rest is all guesswork. Its nerves. Once you settle petal youll be a ok. I was in total awe of the whole process but the funny thing is I really enjoyed the AC cos Im all LIGHTS.. CAMERA..ACTION. (Out of the gutter you lot). All Im saying is an actress to be sure to be sure. Loved it. Nothing to be nervous about at all. I just didnt know what to expect. Ill be deserving of a BAFTA next time though...

Does anyone have any tips or know of any usefull sites or books for the verbal reasoning bit?? I'm shunning the maths for a bit and trying out some reasoning practice tests and I'm really quite stunned that I'm not great at them...not in big headed way or anything I just always figured it would be easy, just take whats in the text as given, make no assumptions of your own and there you go, but no...I'm blessed with a really quite over imaginative mind and I can't stop myself reading between the lines and making up my own little scenarios out of them, even looking back at the right answer to see where it came from i can still somehow argue that my answer is correct :D Anyone any help on how to turn that little man inside my head making up stories off?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jill77

cliffy33 wrote: »
    Heya all got my date for my IST. Wat a balls tho had to be the day of my first college exam. Does anybody know the best way to try and change the date??

Emmm it tells you on your letter....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

I know that the venue subject is a security sensitive issue so you can pm me about this.
    I got the letter for the IST and was quite surprised at the distance I have to travel this year. It was more or less just around the corner last year but this year it is 5 times the distance away or more! Dont give me the lecture of 'if its what you want its worth the distance etc' Can venue be changed? Are there several venues? PM me please folks.
    MAabe its a security issue or maybe its a deloitte issue or both!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭nickni

manaka wrote: »
    I know that the venue subject is a security sensitive issue so you can pm me about this.
    I got the letter for the IST and was quite surprised at the distance I have to travel this year. It was more or less just around the corner last year but this year it is 5 times the distance away or more! Dont give me the lecture of 'if its what you want its worth the distance etc' Can venue be changed? Are there several venues? PM me please folks.
    MAabe its a security issue or maybe its a deloitte issue or both!???

I know personally mate any of my ISTs where always a long distance away 40-80 mins by car. I never had an issue with this but i can understand how some people might find it difficult, i would ask deloitte, worst they can say is no :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

This is my first time doing the IST and my venue is about 45 minutes away. coming up pretty shortly so I have been studying lots of maths and comprehension so hopefully it helps!!!! good luck everyone and wish me luck

Advertisement