Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Work in Australia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Yeah got it back in Feb as i heard they were going to be cracking down on the amount of visa's being issued.

Hope you are right :)

I hope so too to be honest! ;) more worried bout getting work over there than anything else tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Unkle knobhead

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I hope so too to be honest! ;) more worried bout getting work over there than anything else tho!

Ah i will worry about that whenever i get in there

rayme1 wrote: »
    snip

Angry man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Angry man...

Post deletd and rayme1 infracted.

There is no need for that.

watna wrote: »
    Post deletd and rayme1 infracted.

There is no need for that.

Attitude like that wont get him a job anywhere....

.... God, Id love to be a moderator!!

• Advertisement

Attitude like that wont get him a job anywhere....

.... God, Id love to be a moderator!!

Exactly.

In future, if you have a problem with a post like that please report it. It is the red warning triangle under your username. That gives the mods a heads up.

The post was deleted so this thread can go back on topic. Lets do that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Didn't seem tho mention any of that I think, well I hope not... She said the visa is €190, does that sound right to you?

No - that's double the price than if went on line and did it yourself ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I got my Visa + Year's insurance for €289 from the Australian Holidays place on Abbey Street... Seemed like a good price for the both!

passive wrote: »
    I got my Visa + Year's insurance for €289 from the Australian Holidays place on Abbey Street... Seemed like a good price for the both!

I shopped around and applied for one that cost €165, couldnt be arsed with insurance!

www.ozconnect.ie

I shopped around and applied for one that cost €165, couldnt be arsed with insurance!

www.ozconnect.ie

Are you going to get travel insurance at all? I'd def recommend it. Even just for a month or two while you're travelling there. It's really worth having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/working-holiday.htm
    $195 (100euro)

you CANNOT get cheaper than this, any other company will make you apply for the same visa - same form etc

hussey wrote: »
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/working-holiday.htm
    $195 (100euro)

you CANNOT get cheaper than this, any other company will make you apply for the same visa - same form etc

Cheap indeed!!... Too late tho, Iv already paid! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just a bit of info re: work in Perth for any tradies coming over.

A lad I play football with from Derry has been here for two years, good job, house etc. His brother came out 3 months ago thinking he would do the same due to having contacts. However he hasn't been able to get any solid work in his field (think it's brick work) and as a result is now going home next week because he simply can't afford to stay.

It's not the first story I've heard along those lines lately either. Any plumbers/sparkies are in the same boat at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Xavi6 wrote: »

A lad I play football with from Derry has been here for two years, good job, house etc. His brother came out 3 months ago thinking he would do the same due to having contacts. However he hasn't been able to get any solid work in his field (think it's brick work) and as a result is now going home next week because he simply can't afford to stay.

It's not the first story I've heard along those lines lately either. Any plumbers/sparkies are in the same boat at the mo.

Bugger cant even afford to live on his brothers couch? Was he permanent or WHV (I ask that a lot, just curious)...?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Bugger cant even afford to live on his brothers couch? Was he permanent or WHV (I ask that a lot, just curious)...?

I'm sure he could but long term there's no point doing that sort of thing.

He's a WHV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Hey Xavi

Are you working in Perth? My mate got a job in karratha, crazy..

Seems OZ is pretty fubared....?

Would he not try get a job pullin pints or something?

Hey Xavi

Are you working in Perth? My mate got a job in karratha, crazy..

Seems OZ is pretty fubared....?

I'm currently unemployed and job hunting which isn't much fun.

It's not 100% panic stations here but it's certainly a hell of a lot worse than when I arrived two years ago.
    Would he not try get a job pullin pints or something?

I suppose he could alright. Not sure why he doesn't tbh. I was more so posting the story to give tradies an idea of how their industries are going.

Latest update Iv gotten:

We've got clients that will be busy regardless of what the rest of the economy is doing.

• Office relocation work: we have a company that we supply workers for that have a pretty busy schedule for 2009.
    • Fruit picking: by mid June we will be needing about 150 workers. You might think it's just fruit picking, but you can make pretty good money being paid by the kilo, and it's good work if your looking to keep fit. And if you do three months of it, you can qualify for a visa extension.
    • Ground works construction: we actually have an Irish company on our books, they will be busy this year working on government contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

Fast indeed, rang me this morning to clear things up... Have to pay tomorrow tho cause I didn't have a card on me when they rang.

How much did yours set you back?

Think mine was €400 that was for the years insurance and the visa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I'm sure he could but long term there's no point doing that sort of thing.

He's a WHV.

True on a WHV its not worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

I went to NZ on a 1 year working holiday visa. worked for 3 months came back in June last year. Best time of my life. Take the chance. You can always come back if it doesn't work out. check out www.seek.co.nz for jobs in NZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 rayme1

00Blaine00, very good posts
    :D:D

Conrad83 wrote: »
    Think mine was €400 that was for the years insurance and the visa.

Ouch!!, I'd say the best part of that was for insurance tho!
    rayme1 wrote: »
    00Blaine00, very good posts
    :D:D

Cheers man, as for that PM you sent me... I should be heading over in around 25th of June, and the visa I should get either tomorrow or the day after.

watna wrote: »
    Are you going to get travel insurance at all? I'd def recommend it. Even just for a month or two while you're travelling there. It's really worth having.

I should get it shouldn't I?, Have you ever sold insurance before? hah We used to use the "Even just for a month or two" line when we were trying to sell insurance in my previous job! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Ouch!!, I'd say the best part of that was for insurance tho!

Cheers man, as for that PM you sent me... I should be heading over in around 25th of June, and the visa I should get either tomorrow or the day after.

Freaky. I'm heading on the 24th to Sydney with the missus. I'm like you, I have as much trepidation as excitement. All I know is I have about a couple of months spending money and if things don't work out, I can head back home and start again. It's better to regret things you have done then things you haven't.

Argh... Looks like this thread has died on me :(

Can anyone recommend where the best place to book open end tickets to oz is?

Any info appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Excuse90200

Hi Blaine,

you should give Usit a call, there in Dublin and Cork, i booked my open ticket with them which lasts for a year and includes a month stop over in Thailand on the way home. www.usit.ie for there contact details, i would say you are better off to call them instead of booking online, or even better, pay them a vist.

(if you want to change date to go home early its €150)

Cheers

Richie

• Advertisement

Hi Blaine,

you should give Usit a call, there in Dublin and Cork, i booked my open ticket with them which lasts for a year and includes a month stop over in Thailand on the way home. www.usit.ie for there contact details, i would say you are better off to call them instead of booking online, or even better, pay them a vist.

(if you want to change date to go home early its €150)

Cheers

Richie

Thanks for the info Richie, Ill give them a call soon, I also noticed on the website that there's a live chat option! :)

Advertisement