Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 1 - The Initial Selection Test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭beca

Bettypico wrote: »
    hi!! i am new here, sorry if i make any mistake...
    i have my IST on the 21st!!! I am really nervous......any tip or advice??

keep an eye on the time because they wont tell you when you have 5 mins left, if you cant anwser a question move on, dont let any question bog you down because the marks are equally weighted, dont be nervous and you dont have to dress up because you wont meet anyone to assess you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

hi!! i am new here, sorry if i make any mistake...
    i have my IST on the 21st!!! I am really nervous......any tip or advice??

Hi, Im new too ;)

I think we are to be careful about giving out dates etc.. I know you haven't stated location so its probably ok but just to let you know be careful because Im sure some not so nice people look on here.

Anyway good luck with your IST. :D

Oh quick question from previous experience how long does it take to get your results ? I know you don't get your score but when do we find out if you pass fail Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Hi, Im new too ;)

I think we are to be careful about giving out dates etc.. I know you haven't stated location so its probably ok but just to let you know be careful because Im sure some not so nice people look on here.

Anyway good luck with your IST. :D

Oh quick question from previous experience how long does it take to get your results ? I know you don't get your score but when do we find out if you pass fail Thanks

Last year at the IST it was said that it would take 6 weeks for results..and it did! You do get your score if you fail. they tell you the pass mark and what you scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cliffy33

Hi i wass wondering could someone help me with two questions. i have applied but i'm only 19 but i'm mature for my age and it's all i want to do. Will my age stop me? also i need to practice whats the best way to start? i did the sample test and did it on time and got 90% of the answers correct. I'd appreciate some help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bettypico

yea we should be careful....thanks...

good luck with your test!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Slave_To_Sound

cliffy33 wrote: »
    Hi i wass wondering could someone help me with two questions. i have applied but i'm only 19 but i'm mature for my age and it's all i want to do. Will my age stop me? also i need to practice whats the best way to start? i did the sample test and did it on time and got 90% of the answers correct. I'd appreciate some help

Hey From reading the boards and knowing a few people already in the police I can answer that your age will not affect wether you get a place at all. Its all to do with how well you do in your IST and what skills you show at the AC.
    I have found this site (through the boards) http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/verbaltest.htm this is the link to the verbal reasoning, If you click apptitude tests at the very top of the page you can also choose a numerical one.
    I think from what I have read on here the ones on the PSNI recruitment website are way easier than the actual thing.
    Anyway hope this was helpful good luck
    Oh I scored 21 on the verbal one and 12 (which is awful) on the numerical one but then I did it with no paper to do working out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

i will actually cry if i fail my IST

Hey From reading the boards and knowing a few people already in the police I can answer that your age will not affect wether you get a place at all. Its all to do with how well you do in your IST and what skills you show at the AC.
    I have found this site (through the boards) http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/verbaltest.htm this is the link to the verbal reasoning, If you click apptitude tests at the very top of the page you can also choose a numerical one.
    I think from what I have read on here the ones on the PSNI recruitment website are way easier than the actual thing.
    Anyway hope this was helpful good luck
    Oh I scored 21 on the verbal one and 12 (which is awful) on the numerical one but then I did it with no paper to do working out.

Thanks very much i feel way less nervous now about the IST. appreciate the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭suziesaysso

smyff wrote: »
    i will actually cry if i fail my IST

me too!! i gotta get started on my times tables!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Seedy

Hello been reading the forum for a good week or so but only just been brave enough to register :).

Got my date and venue through the post just gotta sort something about with my current work place.

I'm actually English (unfortunately) and have been living in the Republic for 2 years will this affect me at all as I know quite a few people in the north are not fans of my birthplace even though I don't exactly take pride from being born there.

Can't wait to take the test as i really want this chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭manaka

Seedy, it beggars belief to me why you would say that you are unfortunate to be English. You should have no shame in where you were born mate as we all come from different cultures, ethnicities, etc. Just because a few guys dont like you or your accent, tough s**t to them, they cant judge a person by their birthplace or accent. Stand tall.
    If you have been living in the ROI for the past two years your vetting will be done by the guards also, this will slow your process down but hopefully not too much as there is no garda recruitment until further notice because the country is in recession. Hope the IST goes well.

ps. I know its almost 2am on a sat night/sun morn but for the record I am studying! Not drinking! Hic! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Seedy

I'll never be able to disguise the accent being a scouser and all. :) I've been working with children since I was 16 and have been police vetted in England and then Garda vetted over here so hopefully the fact i've been vetted before might speed it up abit you never know haha.

I'm really looking forward to the test and really want to get into the Police and make something of myself for the good of others not to mention the wife and my 10 month old son :)

will it take much longer if the gardai have to do the vetting?? Also i know it says they will be taking in 50:50 which majority applies??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 newapplicant

beca wrote: »
    keep an eye on the time because they wont tell you when you have 5 mins left, if you cant anwser a question move on, dont let any question bog you down because the marks are equally weighted, dont be nervous and you dont have to dress up because you wont meet anyone to assess you

I don't suppose anyone knows how many questions there are and how much time we have in total?

I know its 1h 30 according to the confirmation sheet but think this time includes handing out / collecting papers etc.

Many thanks

Hi i have a really big important question. i really really want to join the psni but i've applied for the garda reserves and i've passed my interview and have to send off my clearance form soon. What should i do?? should i keep going with that recruitment cycle or will it be bad for the psni?? please help??

Hi i have a really big important question. i really really want to join the psni but i've applied for the garda reserves and i've passed my interview and have to send off my clearance form soon. What should i do?? should i keep going with that recruitment cycle or will it be bad for the psni?? please help??
    no it wont be bad for applying for the psni at all. you really should go through with the guarda reserves and apply for the psni aswell. you never know, you might not get the psni job and you could end up with nothing!!!!

smyff wrote: »
    no it wont be bad for applying for the psni at all. you really should go through with the guarda reserves and apply for the psni aswell. you never know, you might not get the psni job and you could end up with nothing!!!!

Thanks very much for the help. Will the vetting take much longer as i'm from the ROI. One last question they say they take 50:50 rc nd non rc. which majority applies to the psni though?

Thanks very much for the help. Will the vetting take much longer as i'm from the ROI. One last question they say they take 50:50 rc nd non rc. which majority applies to the psni though?

Not quite sure I understand what you're trying to get at. If its 50:50 theres no majority??!!!

Of all new recruits half will be catholic and half will be prod and all other religious denominations.

Not quite sure I understand what you're trying to get at. If its 50:50 theres no majority??!!!

Of all new recruits half will be catholic and half will be prod and all other religious denominations.

no i mean that apply first day to the application process. i know 50:50 get in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Can you be a little more specific? I really don't know what your question is.

• Advertisement

Approximately 65% are Protestant/other and 35% Catholic.

Try being a little clearer in your posts, it enables people to answer you more quickly than if they have to ask several questions to get what you're driving at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

Seedy wrote: »
    Hello been reading the forum for a good week or so but only just been brave enough to register :).

Got my date and venue through the post just gotta sort something about with my current work place.

I'm actually English (unfortunately) and have been living in the Republic for 2 years will this affect me at all as I know quite a few people in the north are not fans of my birthplace even though I don't exactly take pride from being born there.

Can't wait to take the test as i really want this chance.

lol i wouldnt worry about that at all i know several english officers and they dont get abuse, you might be asked to say words and phrases but its all in good spirit! as long as you dont develop the strange habit my mum has she moved from england when she was in her early teens and mimics the accent over here when shes talking to people its the weirdest thing ive ever heard lol! :) good luck with your application :D

mrs gene in future could you read the post properly in future?? it enables the reader to answer the question properly.

could anyone tell me what the UID number is and how i get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭tickle_monster

mrs gene in future could you read the post properly in future?? it enables the reader to answer the question properly.

now to be fair to MGH your post was a little confusing, it took me a few reads to understand what you meant, it could have been worded better thats all that was meant :)

with patience like that are you really sure you wanna be a cop? i didnt understand it either. i think you just worded it wrong.

50:50 applies for the intakes of all the officiers who get the call. ie - half will be roman catholic, the other half will be non roman catholic.

for those applying to the psni, well anyone can. 8500 applied this year, but for talks sake, only 1000 of those applicants could be roman catholic. so thats 1:17

your UID number, if you apply, is directly above your name on your letter if you apply and recieve one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bettypico

Hi, I have a big question in my head. I applied for the PSNI for the first time. The thing is I am spanish but living here for nearly two years now. I am engage with a northern irish boy so planning my life over here. I always wanted to join the police, and this year I decided to apply for the PSNI. I wonder if my nationality could be a problem in the process.... My english (understanding and speaking) is quite good so should not be a problem to pass the IST and if I am lucky the Assessment Centre...
    I accept every kind of comments...dont be too bad :o

Thanks!!

Hi, I have a big question in my head. I applied for the PSNI for the first time. The thing is I am spanish but living here for nearly two years now. I am engage with a northern irish boy so planning my life over here. I always wanted to join the police, and this year I decided to apply for the PSNI. I wonder if my nationality could be a problem in the process.... My english (understanding and speaking) is quite good so should not be a problem to pass the IST and if I am lucky the Assessment Centre...
    I accept every kind of comments...dont be too bad :o

Thanks!!
    nope, being spanish will not alter your chances at all when applying for the PSNI. there is a french officier in the service i believe. you seem to have really good english, from what ive read anyway!!! and living here for 2 years would have most likely helped the speaking side of things!!!

good luck in your application!!! i hope it goes well for you!

and you only have to speak during the assessment center (AC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

There was no need to be so snappy with MGH. She was not the only one who did not understand your post. Afterall she asked you to be a little clearer in order for her to help you.

UID number is the number you are giving once you apply. It will be on all correspondance and you will first get it on your IST invitation. Its just a candidate number which the PSNI/Deloitte recruitment teams use to indentify you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Maura2145

Maybe Cliffy found the inital comment snappy! And thats why he/she repeated it. It was after all - the exact same comment :rolleyes: (although repeated for the purpose of cheekiness :P). The general point is that clarity is key!

Anyways less of the snappiness all round people. Too much of it on these boards recently and patience is a virtue! Have these ISTs kicked off yet? Or maybe I need to scroll back and catch up...

Advertisement