Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kippure Time Trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

blorg wrote: »
    11:46. Looking at the data, heart rate hit 200 at the end, that is a new high (and it felt like it.)

here I am posting the time i had when I got across the line and took my phone out of my jersey and checked it 11.51.
    I think you said 11.57.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_gestae

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Haha, I am sticking my my claim of 11:46, I said I was under 11:57 as I didn't realise we were timing ourselves and only stopped the clock after proceeding past the assembled and falling over into the grass. Heart rate and GPS track of the finish (falling off bike into the grass at top :))

th_20090331-Kippure-HR.png th_20090331-Kippure-finish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Haha, I am sticking my my claim of 11:46,
    ...... bitchfest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You mind me asking how you guys approached it? I'll give it a go myself next time I'm out that way.

Lumen wrote: »
    edit: 217bpm from Neil :eek:
    He is a young lad, 220-age remember :) I am amazed he managed such a low HR (around 152?) for most of the rest, is that accurate Neil? ~152 solid up the final bit of that climb?

I would be interested to see heart rate/power etc. for anyone who has it. I was quite happy with my pacing; only thing I would wonder would be if I could have gone a bit faster on the flat bit in the middle- I was redoing my shoe straps at that stage as I had neglected to tighten them at the start and couldn't get a circular pedalling motion going, foot was slipping around in the shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would be interested to see heart rate/power etc. for anyone who has it.

76177.png

Would be interesting to compare to Ryan's, in a "first vs last" way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I'll put something up about my run on a post tomorrow - silly work things to do now. Basically, my HR didn't rise much until the very end (still tired legs from Sundays race) and I don't think I pushed hard enough - the conditions were very fast => the quick time anyway...

My plan was, get up to speed quick - settle into something comfortable on the flats and push hard on the climbs - I mostly did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

10:12 for myself. Pleased with that. Sorry about the drool, there was no time to clean myself up on that last corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

A not very exciting 18:39 for me.....
    Had no plans to do it initially but I'm glad I went up to see what it was all about ... not easy!

well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

12:01 for me, and it hurt!

What about applying the 2 minute bonus for everyone who cycled to the start :D

Great meeting you all. It was indeed a good way to spend an evening. The views at the top were the best I've ever seen them from Kippure.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    10:12 for myself. Pleased with that. Sorry about the drool, there was no time to clean myself up on that last corner.
    That drool was mighty impressive.

@Lumen- does your HR get more lumpy if you decrease the smoothing factor? It always seems remarkably consistent (I imagine this is a good thing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Well done everyone,:) great event, home just before dark.

Photos attached, plus one from Sat. Boards spin 21st March (forgot it was on the camera)

Can upload a max of 5 photos :( so will pop some more into next post.

More Photos attached

some more pics

Last ones phew!! There must be an easier way.

Didn't get everone on the climb, but you're all in the group shot.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thanks for the photos jimm :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Wow, great times by everyone. Hopefully I'll get to the next one. Bohernabreena is always a good bet for these things. Pics worked really well too.

Drool? I'm surprised nobody was pukin'.

I see you all went weight weenie and ditched the helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

el tonto wrote: »
    Wow, great times by everyone. Hopefully I'll get to the next one. Bohernabreena is always a good bet for these things. Pics worked really well too.

Drool? I'm surprised nobody was pukin'.

Yeah - was thinking bohernabreena alright. The club league one goes up there, doesn't it? Must find out where it starts/finishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I didn't - kept my 210gram helmet right were it should be. (That descent down is a bit sketchy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Well done guys. Some impressive times. Don't know the climb, can you post some details, average and max gradients. I think blorg's readout said 3.4km? Love to have a go sometime. Great photos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah - was thinking bohernabreena alright. The club league one goes up there, doesn't it? Must find out where it starts/finishes...

Yes, you spotted the ulterior motive. Not sure of the exact start point, but rogerb will know as he did it last year. The course takes a left near the top, so it's a bit longer than you might think.

Speaking of which, how did the rogerb vs Raam battle turn out?

Oh, and best facial expression goes to Lumen

sy wrote: »
    Well done guys. Some impressive times. Don't know the climb, can you post some details, average and max gradients. I think blorg's readout said 3.4km? Love to have a go sometime. Great photos
    I made it 3.3km to the posts, it is a bit further on up on to the fence surrounding the masts, maybe just shy of 100m distance with around 10-15m higher elevation. I measured an average grade of 6.5% (by distance) but this belies that there is a completely flat bit for the first half km and a near-flat bit in the middle. Average for the actual climbing bits is far higher.

20090331-Kippure-elevation.png

Some impressive levels of pain in those faces jimm, thanks for the photos!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Well done Jimm, appreciated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great thread - well done all.:)
    Just curious, what gears were ye pushing on the hill?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well done all, I feel much fitter just from reading the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

Thanks to barrabus and ryan for suggesting and organising this thing, and to jimm for the photos. Great atmosphere this evening.
    how did the rogerb vs Raam battle turn out?

I got a kicking. But I'm working on it ...
    Bohernabreena is always a good bet for these things.

I agree: Bohernabreena for round 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

He is a young lad, 220-age remember :) I am amazed he managed such a low HR (around 152?) for most of the rest, is that accurate Neil? ~152 solid up the final bit of that climb?
    yeah its accurate garmin forerunner 305, I rest at 55bpm and my maximum while running is normally 180bpm so i was surprised by the 217 but its reasonably normal in comparison to my running friends,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Next Kip. TT from........as someone mentioned, down the road somewhere..........Glencree?, Sally Gap X roads?, top of Luggala?..........etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Well done all. Looks like a great night out.
    Must work on my times, I did this in around 20mins a few weeks back.

Photots look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Raam wrote: »
    Yeah that was extremely uneurolike. For shame.

Advertisement