Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRA and mortgages

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

i wonder if the guards who have 3/4 mortgages for property round Dublin are struggling?

the guards have their own bank/credit union that gives them unbelievably low rate mortgages and loans without much hassle

don't think they've much to complain about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

An Garda are 'Special' or did nobody know that? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmumHQM7vmA

News to most of us! :P joking.

Do most Gardai get their mortgages through the GRA? I remember about a year ago seeing a Garda payslip-it had the gross payment with various deductions, one was a loan repayment-I presumed it was a Garda Credit Union one, just wondering if anyone knows if they get their mortgage through GRA recommended channels is it the same deal? Means they wouldn't have much chance to default if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

just thought id throw this in

one of my uncles is ex gardai , he spent his entire career guarding the british embassy , worked all ther over time he possibly could , done a double tour as he called it every christmas day without fail ( money was his god ) and by the time he retired he lived in donnybrook , owned a house which he rents out in blackrock and owns 40 acres of farm land in meath , granted he married a woman with a bit of money , she more or less bought the house in donnybrook in the 70,s and he bought the farm in the mid 80,s when it cost him 40 thousand punts , still , its a hell of a portfolio for someone who never made it past rank and file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

This post has been deleted.

This is not Switerland by a longshot, I dont know where you live but if you have ever spent your hard earned money on the rented accomodation and dealt with some (not all) but most landlords I have or my friends have come across are arses with consideration for the state of the property they were letting, the tenants privacy or name anything usually **** treatment.
    That guy Darragh is like everyone in this country has a reasonable entitlement to live near his family and work and not have to commute (as thousands from Dublin and other counties have been forced)
    The family can be the cornerstone of support in most cultures throughout this world.
    There are little or no regulations regarding renting and by this individuals/couples are entitled to have their own property (that is not some box apartment where the management company dont give a **** but you still pay.
    Compare management companies to the UK or the continent there are rules I know people in Spain (not holiday apts, living ther) Spain, swimming pools, gym, properly maintained gardens, security, storage space in garage area.UK management companies that do their job, maintenance follow up with landlords.
    As for cultural superiority about home ownership, it was part of this nations history! I dont see politicians renting
    Any ordinary decent working person has the right to home ownership if they want. It shouldnt be such an unregulated market that it goes out of control and the reach of the average wage.
    How do you control a free market, rent controls and standards double edged sword, increase standards for tenants and reduce the massive incentives that were created and pushed prices out of the ordinary peoples way.
    No regulations screwed the banking and housing systems so no one can say you cant hold freemarket back unless they have a vested interets and dont want anyone interfering with their money printing machine.

I own my house (with mortgage) thankfully I bought years ago but Im not giving it the Im ok Im sorted, or it doesnt affect me it does in other ways.
    Bigger boom bigger bust affects competiveness, jobs look where it all is now!
    I am ranting and not just at the quote I read above,

What has this to do with the GRA well were all in this now, lots have mortgages that were forced onto them (fear of not getting on or even getting off the ladder) No one specific group deserves special treatment over others in this regard.
    Long time getting to my point but just so mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

nobody ever forced anyone to buy a house

i think i'll keep renting until i really have to buy - as in married and family arriving.

this idea that rent is wasted money is a joke! who perpetuates this myth? builders and developers and banks. who want to sell mortgages.

If buying a house substantially lowers your standard of living due to high cost of servicing the mortgage plus running the house then you should not go near buying a house.

And add in negative equity at the moment too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

irish_bob wrote: »
    just thought id throw this in

one of my uncles is ex gardai , he spent his entire career guarding the british embassy , worked all ther over time he possibly could , done a double tour as he called it every christmas day without fail ( money was his god ) and by the time he retired he lived in donnybrook , owned a house which he rents out in blackrock and owns 40 acres of farm land in meath , granted he married a woman with a bit of money , she more or less bought the house in donnybrook in the 70,s and he bought the farm in the mid 80,s when it cost him 40 thousand punts , still , its a hell of a portfolio for someone who never made it past rank and file

We all know Gardai like that. I know another Guard, not too bright but a nice enough fella, and he has a holiday villa in Portugal and a house he lets out. When he was "working" he was often doing other little jobs for himself/ doing his errands. He took early retirement + gets a bigger pension for doing nothing than many a worker I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

TomRooney wrote: »
    to be quite honest.....SO WHAT!

what about all the plasterers, brickys,carpenters, and labourers with no job and no prospect of a job.

what about the soldiers in the army, who are taking pay cuts on duty money aswell as the pension levy.

the list is endless, the Gardai deserve no special treatment over any other worker in this country. besides the fact the Gardai already enjoy a good salary and job security they have nothing to complain about.

I've just come in on this :) i am a garda and being honest im happy with what i earn. But i do have a few points to get across gardai if they went to the right banks would have money thrown at them, as the bank took overtime into account and also pay rises. I did not go in for this as i saw this mess comming i do own a house but i can afford it i know some lads who are in trouble now. Earning half what they did last year. now in fairness to anyone if you were earning 50K would you want to give it up? human nature to keep what you can and you live to your means. 50K is not much ok gets you the extra bedroom in the house really thats about it and you still spend very little as you pay off your home loan. I know guys coming away with under 90 euro a week to live on. Not their fault they were given money by the banks.

As for lads with a trade they earned over 100K a year if they were anyway good at all and that was driving up prices working on the sites so its a circle. The boom had to end instead of coming to a soft stop its been a car crash.

the army earn very little true enough but gardai are out on the streets stopping crime and if the gardai stayed in a barracks all day well they country would come apart in a day. The army do important work overseas and when they do UN duty they get well paid for it

Last point then i'll shut up i promise :) gardai have a good pension but the general belief is that its just handed to us. i like all others i have paid into it from day one. I pay everyweek so i'm entitled to it, granted i started paying in at 20 but now i see it as wise. How many guys in the boom years thought of a pension?? I know someone will come along and say the pension market for public sector has been so devalued whats the pint of having one. but thats just now in a few years that will recover. Everyone expented house prices to rise forever but over a 35 year loan something like this had to happen.

We will all come out the other end of this, i will pay my way

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't class the Garda salary as good tbh; starts at €25k and takes 17 years to get to €47k. Not much better than entry-level CO in the civil service but with (I would have thought) less prospect for promotion.

A lot of Gardaí take the crappy salary because they love the job - I'd do the same tbh. Same goes for the army and a few other things like that.

That said, I wouldn't like to have to foot the bill if other PS workers didn't get a similar deal.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    According to the CSO, the average weekly earnings for a Garda is €1,266 (€1,054 excl overtime) in March 2008. Yes, I know what the GRA site says..

Starting out gardai earn hardly anything. In fairness it does get good but not for many years that figure of 1054 euro im not earning that. Is that average of all gardai of all ranks because when you start adding the higer ranks in of course the average will go up.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I have never known a poor Garda in all my life, even when things were dire. No disrespect, but they will have to bear it like the rest of us and be glad that they have a permanent job. Too much spending money on other things? Interest rates at near zero.... no excuses. What are they going to do when the recovery starts and the rates rise very quickly?

i'm not complaining i think the GRA made a mess out of it. Alot of us see that we have to take this cut, the problem being is not everyone can afford to take it. If i was a teacher i would like to what i earn and the banks would lend me x amount knowing that i would not get overtime, in the gardai the banks asked for your overtime printouts in many cases so they could lend more and earn more. i do know gardai in dublin that were doing 40 hours up to 70 hours a month in overtime thats now gone to 0

i will pay my way

You mean you are guaranteed to have a guaranteed job, because those who pay your wages earn less than yourself. Those on the average industrial wage do not have your salary, security or fat subsidised pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

jimmmy wrote: »
    We all know Gardai like that.

You mean Gardai who work their arses off? I hope your not suggesting that he shouldn't have been remunerated for that work!?
    I know another Guard, not too bright but a nice enough fella, and he has a holiday villa in Portugal and a house he lets out. When he was "working" he was often doing other little jobs for himself/ doing his errands. He took early retirement + gets a bigger pension for doing nothing than many a worker I know.

I know a lot of people in either sector and different industries who act the maggot but I don't hold them as being representative of all the people in that area.
    You mean you are guaranteed to have a guaranteed job, because those who pay your wages earn less than yourself. Those on the average industrial wage do not have your salary, security or fat subsidised pension.

Nice of you to put words in his mouth, but ultimately you're just forcing your view onto what other people are saying. It's all sounding very sad and bitter at this stage. As a result I think here endeth my involvement in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

. Not their fault they were given money by the banks.

what did the banks call around to them.:confused::rolleyes: Come on take some responsibility - my god.. we have to rely on you to enforce our laws for god sake!

molloyjh wrote: »
    You mean Gardai who work their arses off? I hope your not suggesting that he shouldn't have been remunerated for that work!?

I know a lot of people in either sector and different industries who act the maggot but I don't hold them as being representative of all the people in that area.

Nice of you to put words in his mouth, but ultimately you're just forcing your view onto what other people are saying. It's all sounding very sad and bitter at this stage. As a result I think here endeth my involvement in this thread.

I agree lot of people sore with garda pay i will give my views but they are just my views as the next person is allowed have their say.

and as for the last post we do enforce the law its our job. Does annoy people sometimes but sure thats just the way it is. But have to take into account assaults on guards i myself have been assaulted in the past been rammed in the past even had a person try to stab me and its a danger thats accepted. and i guess a perk of that was paying into and getting a good pension i dont see the problem with that.

its a danger thats accepted. and i guess a perk of that was paying into and getting a good pension i dont see the problem with that.

It seems to me from the recent poster campaigns and the GRA expecting 20% off gardai mortgages that Gardai are playing the victims instead of protecting the victims in our society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

and as for the last post we do enforce the law its our job. Does annoy people sometimes but sure thats just the way it is.

Yeah I'm sure the people in Anglo Irish are reallly p*ssed off.

I know the response and I agree it isn't front line people making the call but they do work for the organisation. Who polices the police?

Can we report this to the Garda ombudsman that we suspect something dodgy? Would he bother his arse to do anything?

thebman wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure the people in Anglo Irish are reallly p*ssed off.

I know the response and I agree it isn't front line people making the call but they do work for the organisation. Who polices the police?

Can we report this to the Garda ombudsman that we suspect something dodgy? Would he bother his arse to do anything?

In fairness to the Gardai I think the majority do their job well. Most bank workers just do their job too. Those at the very top in the banks, while I think they have abused their position, have mostly operated within the law as far as I know. I think it was the regulator and the central bank and the govt which let us down, in failing to regulate the economy ( and partly the banks ) , not the Gardai. While the Gardai salaries and pensions are on the high side you cannot blame them for taking it.

While the Gardai salaries and pensions are on the high side you cannot blame them for taking it.

nor can you throw the blame onto the taxpayers for the few gardai taking out mortgages they couldnt afford:cool:

Nor did I " throw the blame onto the taxpayers for the few gardai taking out mortgages they couldnt afford"

Advertisement