Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colin Montgomerie

• 25-03-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

I see it's his 500th European Tour appearance this week... some achievement. I was having a look through his record on the tour and some of the stats make for pretty impressive reading. It's a shame his game has gone off the boil in the past year, but hopefully he can have a good week this week. Would be great to see him win again.

Colin Montgomerie's European Tour Career in Numbers

31 – Number of European Tour International Schedule victories. (A record for a British player)

8 – Number of times he has finished European Tour Number One. (1993-99, 05). Number of holes-in-one. (Both European Tour records)

182 – Number of European Tour top ten finishes – a European Tour record

421 – Number of events he has been in the money from his 499 European Tour events

4 – Number of times he has won The European Tour Golfer of the Year award – 1995, 96, 97, 99 - a European Tour record

13 – The number of European Tour course records he has amassed – a European Tour record

60 – Lowest European Tour round at the 2005 Indonesia Open

6 – Most European Tour wins in a season in 1999 – (equals The European Tour record)

10 – Number of consecutive years with a victory between 1993-2002 inclusive

260 – His lowest 72 hole total in a European Tour event on his way to winning the European Masters in 1996

18 – Number of years between his first and latest victory – the 1989 Portuguese Open and the 2007 European Open

2 – Number of albatrosses recorded

13 – Number of different destinations his 31 European Tour wins have come in.

14 – The number of years he has finished inside the top ten of The Order of Merit

9 – Number of times he has recorded multiple victories in the same European Tour season

1– Number of wire-to-wire victories on The European Tour – at the 2001 Irish Open. First European Tour event as a professional at the 1987 European Masters

54 – The event number of his first European Tour victory – the 1989 Portuguese Open

11– His biggest victory margin in a European Tour event – the 1989 Portuguese Open

3 – The only player to win three consecutive BMW Championship titles between 1998-2000

1,722 – Total number of European Tour rounds played from his 499 events

121,525 – Total number of strokes taken from his 499 European Tour events

1,597– Total number under par for his 499 European Tour events as a professional

70.60 – Career stroke average on The European Tour from his 499 events

€23,639,775 – European Tour Official Career earnings from his 499 events – a European Tour record

€47,374 - The average amount earned per tournament from his 499 played

€13,728- The amount earned per round from his 499 played

€194 – The amount earned per shot from his 499 played

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

They are astounding stats. I particularly liked when he came back to win the OOM in 2005. It is hard to watch him struggle these days. Still though, you get the feeling it could be one thing clicking into place for him that could make all the difference - his new wife, the Ryder Cup captaincy, something like that could just give him a moment of clarity. That's why I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

He might not be everyone's favourite but his record is fantastic. Remember watching him a few years ago and just being blown away by the accuracy of his iron play. Saw in the paper today that he thinks the RC captaincy will bring out the best in his tournament play again[give him something bigger to think about]. 500 events is some going and his average $$$ per event is just amazing. Good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I particularly liked this stat...

€194 – The amount earned per shot

Not bad work if you can get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    I particularly liked this stat...

€194 – The amount earned per shot

Not bad work if you can get it!

It normally cost me about €5 per shot as normally my gold ball ends up getting lost:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Impressive stats, I'd like to think Monty still has a major in him, The Open this summer maybe.....why not, Nicklaus won his last major aged 46.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

260 – His lowest 72 hole total in a European Tour event on his way to winning the European Masters in 1996
    That's pretty cool too....
    Just looked it up - he shot 65, 71, 61, 63 in Crans-sur-Sierre
    Sam Torrance was 2nd, Seve 4th, Clarke 7th
    link here to result

He's -2 thru 3 holes this morning so you never know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Licksy wrote: »

He's -2 thru 3 holes this morning so you never know :D

Maybe he read the thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

-4 through 6. The comeback begins

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

-5 thru 12 and leads by 2 currently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

-5 thru 15 now. Good to see that he bounced back from both bogies with birdies. If he can pick up another birdie in the final three, he'd be in very good shape (not physically obviously, but you know what i mean).

• Advertisement
Advertisement