Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informed Performance Gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I'd tell you to email Will and ask for justification of his prices but that would just be cruel. He doesn't seem to be a fan of boards as is.
    What's with all the constant references to boards vs Will Heffernan? :confused:

Barry the best of luck with the new venture - I'm delighted to see this will be opening and I hope it paves the way for more such resources to be available to athletes - amateur, pro or just weekend warrior-ish alike.

Keep us updated about when it will be opening and when the open day will be on, I'd definitely love to come down and take a look. You can tell Will that the wench from boards who asked him to play nicely is coming along.

d-gal wrote: »
    I think ye should all shut the fuck up and quit bithcing, this is a thread for a fantastic new structure coming to Ireland, not a thread about ye whiney little internet shits. Get a life and don't drag down this thread any further

Whining about whining. Oh the ironing.

The need to resort to that kind of language does more to drag the thread down than any other posts here. Give it a rest please, totally uncalled for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Righto....I've mass deleted OT posts that I don't honestly think anyone will care are gone. If you actually do care that your posts are gone, let me know and I'll give this little spat some more time. Otherwise, let's try to keep this on-topic and polite (and preferably free from spat causing generalisations).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Thnks Khannie. And thanks weighlifter for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

well guys fair play to you for setting this up and when i get enquiries for personal training from people that are based over on the other side of the liffey i know where i will be sending them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Vivian Reckless

g'em wrote: »
    What's with all the constant references to boards vs Will Heffernan? :confused:

Barry the best of luck with the new venture - I'm delighted to see this will be opening and I hope it paves the way for more such resources to be available to athletes - amateur, pro or just weekend warrior-ish alike.

Keep us updated about when it will be opening and when the open day will be on, I'd definitely love to come down and take a look. You can tell Will that the wench from boards who asked him to play nicely is coming along.
    g'em,
    I sent Will a link to the thread. Heard back from him today. Apparently you did more than 'asked him to play nice'? He said he was banned? Pity as I think his blog is pretty good and his athletes seem to be doing OK.

Roper,
    Hope you got my apology for being involved in the idiocy last night. I should have known better than to 'feed the trolls'.
    Looking forward to updates on the opening and such at a later date.

Khannie,
    Glad you deleted the posts as they say, the problem with arguing with idiots is that they beat you with experience.

Khannie,
    Glad you deleted the posts as they say, the problem with arguing with idiots is that they beat you with experience.

You're pushing it. Let it go.

g'em,
    I sent Will a link to the thread. Heard back from him today. Apparently you did more than 'asked him to play nice'? He said he was banned? Pity as I think his blog is pretty good and his athletes seem to be doing OK
    He was treated the same as any other poster on the board who acts up. He didn't seem to like this and drama ensued. There's absolutely nothing to stop him coming back, it was only a temp ban (there's nothing about him being banned on his User history though...). And Will, if you want to say something feel free to do it yourself. It's an open forum, the only thing we ask is that you treat other users with courtesy and respect. Hardly a big ask.

Anyway, thanks for clearing up the thread Khannie.

g'em,
    I sent Will a link to the thread. Heard back from him today. Apparently you did more than 'asked him to play nice'? He said he was banned? Pity as I think his blog is pretty good and his athletes seem to be doing OK.
    I'm sure if Will wanted the contents of his email on boards he would just post, or maybe just open his mail account to the public. I'm sure you think you're doing us a favour but is there any chance you could stop? We're big boys and we can look after ourselves we really don't need people to wade in "defending" us when we have absolutely nothing to defend ourselves against. Jimmy Bottlehead criticised pricing, we had an intelligent debate of price vs. value and I've offerred him a suck it and see and he's accepted in good faith. Other than the idiocy that went on last night which you were 50% of, there actually hasn't been much negativity on this thread at all until the people with "good intentions" got involved. Your kind of help in this thread we really don't need on any level.
    Transform wrote:
    well guys fair play to you for setting this up and when i get enquiries for personal training from people that are based over on the other side of the liffey i know where i will be sending them.
    Thanks, come over for a visit when we open and we can swap notes.
    G'em wrote:
    He was treated the same as any other poster on the board who acts up. He didn't seem to like this and drama ensued. There's absolutely nothing to stop him coming back, it was only a temp ban (there's nothing about him being banned on his User history though...). And Will, if you want to say something feel free to do it yourself. It's an open forum, the only thing we ask is that you treat other users with courtesy and respect. Hardly a big ask.
    I think he got banned for acting Australian. I don't think anyone wants to rake up old graves. He genuinely doesn't read this site, though I did send him a link to it. If people want to ask him stuff he has a really open blog where people can post questions or criticisms and he answers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Roper wrote: »
    I'm sure if Will wanted the contents of his email on boards he would just post, or maybe just open his mail account to the public. I'm sure you think you're doing us a favour but is there any chance you could stop? We're big boys and we can look after ourselves we really don't need people to wade in "defending" us when we have absolutely nothing to defend ourselves against. Jimmy Bottlehead criticised pricing, we had an intelligent debate of price vs. value and I've offerred him a suck it and see and he's accepted in good faith. Other than the idiocy that went on last night which you were 50% of, there actually hasn't been much negativity on this thread at all until the people with "good intentions" got involved. Your kind of help in this thread we really don't need on any level.

I'm glad you posted that.

Not sure if you saw my last post last night before it was deleted, but best of luck with it. There's certainly a lack of people doing what you guys propose to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The gym sounds pretty sweet and original. Good luck and I wish yous all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Why was my post deleted? There was nothing untoward in there.

No, but it quoted (in its entirety) a previous post that I didn't want in. Also, there was a bit of an oul' generalisation in there. :) It was more of a mass delete of anything to do with the disagreement. If you really want to, fire ahead and repost something similar. I can PM you the content of the post if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

This gym sounds great, really looking forward to the opening. Any more information on the exact location?

darraghw wrote: »
    This gym sounds great, really looking forward to the opening. Any more information on the exact location?

It will be on the Ballyboggan Road in Glasnevin. We're waiting on some legal stuff which prevents us from releasing the exact address at the moment, we're not being intentionally secretive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Khannie wrote: »
    No, but it quoted (in its entirety) a previous post that I didn't want in. Also, there was a bit of an oul' generalisation in there. :) It was more of a mass delete of anything to do with the disagreement. If you really want to, fire ahead and repost something similar. I can PM you the content of the post if you like.

Ah no thanks. There was nothing ground breaking in there at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Slightly OT buuut what are the odds of ye doing internships for newly qualified PTs looking to get into S&C i have a ah friend who will be qualified in the near future........ altho he needs to start squating again.. the bollox!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Slightly OT buuut what are the odds of ye doing internships for newly qualified PTs looking to get into S&C
    I was just about to ask something similar!

We'll have some space for some coffee makers I mean....aahhhh interns in the near future.
    I know this might sound unlikely but we have had, possibly 10+ people asking the same question so they will be interviewed positions.

Every PT wants to "work with athletes" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Roper wrote: »
    We'll have some space for some coffee makers I mean....aahhhh interns in the near future.
    I know this might sound unlikely but we have had, possibly 10+ people asking the same question so they will be interviewed positions.

Every PT wants to "work with athletes" :D

i just wanna make coffee

You're already a step ahead of the competition then. Black, strong, no sugar. Fvck that up and you're out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

This looks cool:cool:

Would it be possible to come along when up and running to have a gawk around the place?

Also, you mention there will be a philanthropic element:) Does this mean you would be interested in taking on a charity (for better want of a word) case? I have a guy who is a talented athlete but likes to reside in the comfort zone. I have got him into the real world on the track and he is flying. Its the extras in the gym where he is still a bit of a girls blouse. He lives locally.

Also, the track stretch, does it back onto to wall or does it have a run-off, ie, you you be able to run the full 25m or do you have to ease off well before to avoid hitting the wall?

There'll be some scholarships for young folks, the criteria for which we're still examining. The only thing you can do is have a chat with us when it's open and we'll have a look.

The track won't have a run off but we will have a crash wall. The reason it's only 25m is because it's main purpose will be testing and developing 10m speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

congratulations on the gym, its an amazing offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

Best of luck with the gym. Sounds like an excellent offer.

Will there be any MA day time classes, and have ye decided opening/closing times for the gym?

(important for us shift workers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Best of luck with the gym. Sounds like an excellent offer.

Will there be any MA day time classes, and have ye decided opening/closing times for the gym?

(important for us shift workers)

Barry we need more regular updates!:)

Yeah not getting much time to post or read this internet device these days. For anyone who is interested the opening date for the full gym has been put back. We're importing some high quality gear and the lead times for manufacturing, shipping and installation are longer than expected so we're looking at a July 1st opening date now. However the MMA, boxing and Muay Thai section of the gym should be totally open in May as planned as the equipment for that is only coming from the UK.

There's lots of other stuff happening behind the scenes that are going to be great and unique and while we had planned on updating the fitness community about everything via this board, we're just too damn busy running around this country and the US sourcing equipment and getting people on board.

However if anyone has any specific enquiries they can email myself or Will through his or my websites informedperformance.wordpress.com or barryoglesby.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

A few questions.

What happens when someone starts out in the gym - are they tested straight away, assessed somehow or are they put on a program from the off and then tested in your usual way?

Also, whats the story about saturdays opening times? I notice its not quite open...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Also, did i imagine it or did you say we could all bail in to IP for free some weekend

Re: Saturday hours
    They're the base hours, the hours we are definitely open. You have to remember that IP is not a gym in the way that most people percieve a gym to be. I would call the likes of Carlisle, Skelly's etc. Leisure Centres. We are a gym, which also means we are a community, which in turn means we are flexible and approachable about our hours. We have guys who want to come in really late, as in 11pm, and if we can accomodate that we will. Same with Saturdays. If someone wants to be there later than we're down to be open, they just have to ask. 9 times out of 10 we can accomodate that.

Re: Testing and assesment
    The short answer is it depends. Not everyone gets tested straight away. Some people are too weak/unfit to test and need a few weeks of work first to get themselves going. Some people test and then straight away do their first session the same day. Testing is a major thing to newcomers but to anyone in the gym a while it's no big deal. It's a waypoint on the big journey. The journey of getting jakt.

Re: Free weekend
    For open workout/invite/freebie http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055788501 post there and we'll work something out.