Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure Time Trial

• 18-03-2009 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I mooted the idea of a boards Kippure time trial in another post.

I am now suggesting Tuesday March 31st as the date, starting at say 6.30pm??
    This is the first Tuesday after the clocks change, sun set will be at 7:55pm.

One minute intervals between riders, as it is a hill course tear drop helmets and skin suits aren't mandatory ;)

All obviously welcome.
    Reply if interested so we can get an idea of numbers.
    The advice of someone who has actually organised a tt before would be appreciated.

I suggest Al as the bookie ...

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp?comb_city_info=Dublin,%20Ireland;6;53;0;2&month=3&year=2009&time_type=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Good idea. Is it worth waiting a couple of weeks later to get extra time at it? Chances are we won't be there on time.

On Tuesday the 14th April suset is 20.24
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78&month=4&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Raam wrote: »
    Good idea. Is it worth waiting a couple of weeks later to get extra time at it? Chances are we won't be there on time.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=78&month=4&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

think i am in switzerland that tuesday .. one before or after???

Swords TT is on the 15th so I doubt doing a TT the day before is a good idea for me!

April 7th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

i'll be there, but will be knackered as i'm only back from denmark the day before, this is going to be really good,
    basically you need two clocks with second hands, every rider sets off at 1min intervals and as they cross the line the time on the second clock is recorded,
    then the time is subtracted, even if the clocks are wrong they are wrong for everybody so its ok, this is going to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

Raam wrote: »

just turn up ontime, 31st is good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

With so many people with Garmins ... all you need is 2 people with Garmins at the top and bottom .... both of them will always show the exact same time.

I will probably be there for the entertainment and betting if Al is running the bookies

just turn up ontime, 31st is good

Some of us have jobs on the far side of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Is there mobile coverage? Judging by Tunneys comments earlier there isnt.
    If not, then it would be difficult to co-ordinate start with finish stop watches.
    Alternative would be to give each rider a ticket (piece of paper) with their start time as they leave the gate at bottom of climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

short_circuit's idea with the garmins- the gpses run off the satellite time and thus the time will be the same; would hardly be so difficult to sync two watches either at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Does anyone have a portable defibrillator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

March 31st is good with Mel and I.

Could figure out times so that those further away have more time to get to the start, i.e. start towards the end...

I'm sure someone could hack together a quick signup sheet that would orgainze that. Then, the day before the event - post everyones exact start time so we know when to be where.

Low Key hill climbs in the US usually use that format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

31st sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

This thread gives me the fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

This is a downhill time trial, right? :)

I've attached the profile for the climb - starts out pretty flat but kicks up a few times. The last few hundred meters are tough.

Average gradients is only 6.3. Max is around 15...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I've attached the profile for the climb - starts out pretty flat but kicks up a few times. The last few hundred meters are tough.

Average gradients is only 6.3. Max is around 15...

Are you sure max gradient is 15%?? I am pretty sure it's about 20 on my garmin near at the last 2 bends. Or maybe it's just like me ... it exagerates everything ...

I have a great game for you guys in Kippure: How many times can you go and down Kippure while I go just once :D

Not sure if it is right... Was a crappy day I recorded the data and it was with a 305. I just remember it being steep. I have not been up there since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

My garmin had failed last tuesday when we went up but from what I remember when I went up there 1st last year, I was shocked by the 20%+ gradiant near the top ...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

I think I clocked it at closer to 17/18% last year, the stretch just before the hairpin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Garmin displays "instantaneous" grades a fair bit in excess of the sustained grades you will see on the data downloaded. I've got over 30% (not on Kippure) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I mad it to beyond the 2km mark when high winds and no visibility lead me to chicken out an turn back. I was wondering why you were all so impressed with the climb, as the 1st 2k are not that tough.

Now that I see the visual on the climb, I stopped just before it actually starts to climb(2.5k onwards).

Ah well. Will try it this w/e.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, it's the bit at the end that's the real kicker.

Organising a tt isn't that hard and you don't need mobiles. Sync watches, agree a start time and send one person up (who can record their own time with their bike computer and hopefully be honest about it). Send people off at one minute intervals on a pre-agreed schedule. You can then work out everyone's time from the agreed start time. So if person x goes off fifth, their time is the total minus four minutes.

I'd do it for the crack if I can get out of work on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I would advise using numbered stickers to allow for the possibility of overtaking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Call out your number as you cross the finish line. You don't actually need a paper number. You sign on in a position, eg. 6th. Call out six as you finish. Wicklow Tri club did it this way for their TT series last year. The Vets do the same.

el tonto wrote: »
    Organising a tt isn't that hard and you don't need mobiles. Sync watches, agree a start time and send one person up (who can record their own time with their bike computer and hopefully be honest about it). Send people off at one minute intervals on a pre-agreed schedule. You can then work out everyone's time from the agreed start time. So if person x goes off fifth, their time is the total minus four minutes.
    Only catch is that the first person to go up has to be a stronger climber than the next few so they don't get overtaken, and have to hope that they don't suffer a mechanical/puncture en route, else the whole timing thing will get totally shafted.

Is there any way to see from the top to the bottom to give a visual signal that the first up has made it and the rest can start going, or is there an obstruction in the way?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just give them a good headstart, like fifteen minutes or something. You can see most of the way up. Even if they do have a puncture on the last section, I'd say they'd still get up in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Interesting stats. A cursory fiddle with numbers suggests that you weren't trying very hard for that 13:50, and that I might crawl up in just under 20 minutes.

A cursory fiddle with numbers suggests that you weren't trying very hard for that 13:50, and that I might crawl up in just under 20 minutes.

It was a recce run up the climb before Team Worc ran the race up it a few days later. I rode a steady pace up it. Hmm, I wonder what I will do this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'll do it, or at the very least head out and help with the time-keeping.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'd be up for giving it a go too. Assuming i get out of work and home in time enough to get there.. it's a good hour or so from dundrum

Advertisement