Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informed Performance Gym

• 15-03-2009 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

Okay so the world's worst kept secret is out so I may as well come on here and tell you all about it as much like the Carlisle/Northwood joining fee offers, we're doing something similar that is of great value. And also, I'm like a child with a new toy and I can't wait to tell people.

Basically myself and infamous S&C coach Will Heffernan are joining forces to open a brand new gym in Glasnevin. All of my current operations and classes will be there plus everything Will does and so much more. It's going to be incredible and it will fill what we think is a massive gap in the fitness market. As per the title it will be called Informed Performance, and my stuff will be undergoing a name change too to Informed Mixed Martial Arts. The real meat and bones of it all is explained on here

I know this seems like shilling/advertising but I think there's something here that might interest some of you. Firstly there's the €1000 5 year memberships. There's only 15 of those going as an introductory offer and we're filling them fast. Secondly there's an opportunity for two personal trainers to use the gym as their place of business. The details are in the blog post linked to above. I know some PTs are being let go from gyms and some others are finding the going hard so it might interest some of you, or even somsone starting out.

This is something that the two of us have been thinking of in our own seperate ways for quite a while and it's now coming to fruition. Now I don't want to come across all Mother Theresa as obviously we'll be trying to make a living on this, but we're spending a lot more than we need to to give Dublin the type of facility that it badly needs for athletes, and to give the average joe or josephine the chance to get actually coached towards their fitness goals whatever they might be. It won't be some exclusive "Elite" centre with it's doors locked 23 hours a day, there won't be anyone doing their guns tieing up the squat racks for an hour. Probably everybody starts out with noble goals like this but we're genuinely interested in improving the state of affairs in this country with regard to sports performance and fitness. We're in negotiations at the moment with some major sporting organisations to offer S&C scholarships to young athletes to augment their training, we'll be giving away lots of training for free to schools and clubs in the local area. I think it's going to be special.

Of course we're looking for what you think and welcome your questions about anything. The planned big kick off date is May 1st which seems like a long way away but we're actually hoping to open the doors before that. Who knows if I can get Will to agree I might be able to organise an exclusive Boards.ie sneak preview.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nice one man, i hope it goes really well for you guys. I'll have to pop in sometime in May! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Hope it goes well, if I get a bet up anytime soon I'll be straight down with a grand :P

But seriously, it sounds great and I hope it works out. Just try not to lose sight of those noble goals of yours :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

amacachi wrote: »
    Hope it goes well, if I get a bet up anytime soon I'll be straight down with a grand :P

But seriously, it sounds great and I hope it works out. Just try not to lose sight of those noble goals of yours :P
    Noble goals are all I have left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Sounds great Barry, I hope it works out well for you.

Where will the gym be located as a matter of interest? Or have you finalised that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I was reading about it on Will's blog yesterday and it sounds like a brilliant idea. It's definitely something I'd be interested in, especially if it's in Glasnevin.

Best of luck with it anyway!

• Advertisement

I actually thought I put down where it was going to be! It will be in Glasnevin, a stones throw from where I currently train. We can't give the exact address yet as we're actually picking from two :D

Never mind Barry I'm blind, it's in the fourth line. Thanks for that though! Once college finishes up I'll definitely be in touch about joining.

One thing I've been thinking about since I read about the gym on your blog; will yourself and Will be working together when it comes to the MMA guys? I'm primarily interested in logging some good mat hours this summer in BJJ, but I'd also like to improve my S&C for jitz at the same time. What I'm asking really is that if I go to Informed Performance will I get an S&C program to supplement BJJ or is it kind of one or the other? Either S&C or BJJ like.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'd jump at the chance to get some personalised S&C work done alongside my BJJ.

One thing I've been thinking about since I read about the gym on your blog; will yourself and Will be working together when it comes to the MMA guys? I'm primarily interested in logging some good mat hours this summer in BJJ, but I'd also like to improve my S&C for jitz at the same time. What I'm asking really is that if I go to Informed Performance will I get an S&C program to supplement BJJ or is it kind of one or the other? Either S&C or BJJ like.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'd jump at the chance to get some personalised S&C work done alongside my BJJ.
    Not a stupid question at all. In part I'm really glad to be doing this as I think it'll be a first for martial arts training here. Specific off mat sports condtioning to go along with the on mat training. Pretty much everyone in my gym has been asking me how much extra this and that will cost but membership is as it is in the blog post I linked to. €79 per month. That means you can come to any and all classes, plus attend the gym etc. etc. for €79 per month and there's no extras. Everyone who trains there will be on a programme written by us to cater for whatever it is you want to do, regularly tested and revised. It's a massive undertaking but we'll have some clever ways of doing it in place.

So say for your specific case, a grappler who wants to get in better shape for grappling, you would be at bjj classes and also be doing a grappler's S&C programme.

Thanks Barry. I'll definitely be in touch once I finish up in college, which nicely coincides with your gym opening time actually.

Sounds great, hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Roper,

Fair play to the two of you guys for having the balls to go ahead and do something like this. I half did up a mock project for a centre similar to yours and got really excited by it. I can only imagine how good it'll make you feel once it's open. Best of luck with it and here's to you showing other sports bodies what real training facilities are all about.

• Advertisement

No probs Bobby
    Roper,

Fair play to the two of you guys for having the balls to go ahead and do something like this. I half did up a mock project for a centre similar to yours and got really excited by it. I can only imagine how good it'll make you feel once it's open. Best of luck with it and here's to you showing other sports bodies what real training facilities are all about.
    Thanks for the kudos. In fairness though I'd like to point out that we won't be about "showing others" how it's done what we'll be aiming to do is work woth those others to help them out.

There are huge problems in Ireland die to underfunding and lack of structure. It's very hard for a club to get a decent S&C coach because there aren't that many of them, or they're tied up with county teams, and they don't know the difference between a good and a bad one anyway. Then you have the problems with funding and building a decent gym which is only going to get worse as the economy nose dives. We're not going to show people up, we're going to work with them to help them with their strength and conditioning training, testing and analysis and we're going to give something to Irish sport.

Look I know I sound like Ghandi there but we're not just in this for the money. If we wanted to make moolah we could spend half the money and do it as a PT gym but we're not. We're buying the really expensive kit and we're going to give teams what they need for a fraction of what they'd pay for it themselves. Sure it's going to be a business but we both really care about Irish sport and want to make a contribution. For me it's perfect as I'll get to see MMA athletes working alongside boxers, sprinters, footballers, basketballers just as I do now. It's a step towards the athletic recognition I believe MMA deserves.

Have to say... the membership prices are rough enough lads... €89 per month cash, €79 per month direct, and €799 a year is a bit steep. I know you get the martial arts classes included, but for those of us who don't want the classes, its pointless extra expense. And TBH I'd not leave Northwood (which is only ~€350 a year) with that much money in the difference.

I'm all for smaller, non commercial gyms, but especially these days, shelling out that much extra might not fly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sounds great. Best of luck with it.

Two other random ideas:
    1. If you have any extra space/room in there you could perhaps include an endless pool. It would take up a lot less space than a proper swimming pool, and you could market it towards swim instructors i.e help people improve their swim stroke in 15-30 min sessions.
    2. You could also have one of those tanks for underwater bodyfat testing. I'm guessing you won't have the handheld electrical bodyfat monitors!

Have to say... the membership prices are rough enough lads... €89 per month cash, €79 per month direct, and €799 a year is a bit steep. I know you get the martial arts classes included, but for those of us who don't want the classes, its pointless extra expense. And TBH I'd not leave Northwood (which is only ~€350 a year) with that much money in the difference.

I'm all for smaller, non commercial gyms, but especially these days, shelling out that much extra might not fly.
    That's all fine and dandy, but you're not comparing like with like. You can pay 230 or 400 or whatever and you can go to a commercial gym with 18000 members and do your stuff there and be ignored. That's fine, we'll live with that.

Or you could come to us and get coached. There won't be anyone in our gym NOT doing a programme designed by us. There won't be anyone in our gym who doesn't get tested every 6-8 weeks, either solo or with a group. Ask yourself how many people go to a big gym and then ask how many of them walk out the doors after their year's membership in better shape than they walked in on their first day? We'll take the Pepsi challenge.

I'll lay it on the line very simply because we envisioned this kind of objection.
    If you want a plunge pool, this is not the gym for you.
    If you want a nail bar, this is not the gym for you.
    If you want a jacuzzi, this is not the gym for you.
    If you want a frappuccino after training, this is not the gym for you.

on the other hand.
    If you want to get coached to achieve your goals
    If you want to improve your sporting performance
    If you want to get in better shape with someone who actually has a plan for you and knows your name
    If you want to be in a good atmosphere with like minded people who actually talk and encourage each other

Then this is the gym for you. Saying we're more expensive than X or Y gym is like saying you'd rather have Kevin Kilbane on your fantasy football team over Ronaldo because he's cheaper. I recognise it might be beyond some people's budgets but I would also say that for the vast majority of the 18000 members of certain gyms, the €300 per year they pay is false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

To be fair now it's not a regular gym though is it, an S&C coach putting your programme together, the facilities and the scale - it's obvious they are catering to a particular market and for those it's an absolute steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Good luck with it Roper, sounds class and you're filling a major gap there - crazy that it's not being done already. I'd be signing up for one of your 5 year memberships in a flash only the timing isn't right for me.

BossArky wrote: »
    Sounds great. Best of luck with it.

Two other random ideas:
    1. If you have any extra space/room in there you could perhaps include an endless pool. It would take up a lot less space than a proper swimming pool, and you could market it towards swim instructors i.e help people improve their swim stroke in 15-30 min sessions.
    2. You could also have one of those tanks for underwater bodyfat testing. I'm guessing you won't have the handheld electrical bodyfat monitors!
    Like pools eh?:)
    A wee pair of calipers and a formula will be our tests I'm afraid we're blowing the budget on some other fancy pants equipment. Besiades, we have the Tolka river on one side of us and the Unit backs onto the Royal Canal. If you want to see someone run on water throw them in the canal, it's like a very viscous soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Wow this sounds awesome. Fortune favours the bold. or is it the brave? must be the bald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Vivian Reckless

I'm at Northwood myself and I can't wait to get out of the place. I certainly haven't got much for what I've paid.

Not exactly sure what so many people have against Will? Especially here? I still can't get a straight answer?

When I went in to the other gym the other day there were two All Ireland winning players from two different counties, the Irish Women's Rugby Team (good win on the weekend by the way) and also Laura Wood the DJ from East Coast FM and Newstalk as well as a heap of other lads all training away like they were all in the same team. It seemed like a deadly buzz they had going.

I know Will writes every program for every person training there and is always coaching everyone in the place. That can hardly be compared to the help I've had at Northwood where after I joined not a single staff member has ever helped me in any way and the one time I did ask for help I realised straight away that the staff member didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

I saw on t-nation a while that Dave Tate from Elite Fts and Dan John who is big with Crossfit both sung his praises as a coach? Those lads seemed pretty highly respected in the US and they seem to rate him even though he is here? Did he used to work in the US?

I've 8 months left on my membership and I am still going to chuck it in and join.

Can I get you to do my membership when you open Roper because I think Will really was serious when he said I could only join if I paid double and he seems to have stopped answering my emails?

celestial wrote: »
    To be fair now it's not a regular gym though is it, an S&C coach putting your programme together, the facilities and the scale - it's obvious they are catering to a particular market and for those it's an absolute steal.

No its not a regular gym. I for one love Image Gym in Swords (I feel like a bloody broken record with that one!:p) and if it was as close as Northwood, I'd not choose Northwood.

BUT... my point is that even though this sounds like the sort of gym I'd love to work out in (more focussed on the clients than having loads of armchairs and luxuries) I simply couldn't justify that membership.
    I'm at Northwood myself and I can't wait to get out of the place. I certainly haven't got much for what I've paid.

Not exactly sure what so many people have against Will? Especially here? I still can't get a straight answer?

When I went in to the other gym the other day there were two All Ireland winning players from two different counties, the Irish Women's Rugby Team (good win on the weekend by the way) and also Laura Wood the DJ from East Coast FM and Newstalk as well as a heap of other lads all training away like they were all in the same team. It seemed like a deadly buzz they had going.

I know Will writes every program for every person training there and is always coaching everyone in the place. That can hardly be compared to the help I've had at Northwood where after I joined not a single staff member has ever helped me in any way and the one time I did ask for help I realised straight away that the staff member didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

I saw on t-nation a while that Dave Tate from Elite Fts and Dan John who is big with Crossfit both sung his praises as a coach? Those lads seemed pretty highly respected in the US and they seem to rate him even though he is here? Did he used to work in the US?

I've 8 months left on my membership and I am still going to chuck it in and join.

Can I get you to do my membership when you open Roper because I think Will really was serious when he said I could only join if I paid double and he seems to have stopped answering my emails?

I agree. The Northwood staff are freakin' USELESS. There's only one staff member I'd go to (Anthony Capper) as he really seems to know his stuff. Thing is though, Northwood provide the facilities - its up to each member to use the facilities. The best equipment and the most knowledgable staff aren't worth much if the gym-goer is simply not interested in pushing themself, or putting in the work.

And Barry, while I do admire what you guys are doing (genuinely), especially the noble part of trying to get everybody motivated etc... I hope that either you're lucky enough to get an extraordinary membership into the club, or you accept early on that some people will just be lazy, no matter how much you try to help them.

I've tried to help friends of mine time and time again, and I've sadly come to the disappointing conclusion that a person will not succeed unless they truly take it upon themselves to get fit and show dedication. That includes myself.

On a nicer note, what equipment are you guys looking to get?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

To put that in pespective, Jackie Skelly's is currently €72 a month and they're doing good business, I know I'd be willing to pay out the extra €7 a month for the coaching alone never mind the better equipment.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Best of Luck Barry and Will. If there's a grand opening or anything I'll make sure to pop on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Would the specific programmes extend to assessment, physio and corrective exercises? I have this ...eh... friend, his body is FUBARed. He needs major work. :(

If you have space for extra trainers/specialists I'd recommend someone who can advise on nutrition and maybe a sports massuese?

Anyway, nice work on embarking on yet another adventure of stress and hair-loss! I have to see where in the world I end up in a few months but if it's close I'll give you a shout.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Very best of luck Barry. Really hope this works out for you. Sounds like a great idea.
    Have to say... the membership prices are rough enough lads... €89 per month cash, €79 per month direct, and €799 a year is a bit steep.

I think it's savage value actually. I pay 65 a month for my Bridgestone membership (which I consider a pittance considering how many hours a month I get out of it) and another 25 a month for a subsidised "normal" gym (which I also consider very little). That works out more expensive than what they're offering and that's ignoring sport specific training.

Yes he did.
    Actually neither of us will do your membership. One of the things we've said we'd do from the off is concentrate 100% on coaching and training and leave all the money biz to someone else. We're both really busy right now so don't have a chance o answer all of the queries people have had but we're working through them. When the website is up and running and the admin staff are in place we'll both have more time to answer training related mail and queries. Keep mailing though because we're working through them and sometimes things get missed.

I agree. The Northwood staff are freakin' USELESS. There's only one staff member I'd go to (Anthony Capper) as he really seems to know his stuff. Thing is though, Northwood provide the facilities - its up to each member to use the facilities. The best equipment and the most knowledgable staff aren't worth much if the gym-goer is simply not interested in pushing themself, or putting in the work.
    I refer back to the term false economy. 'I will pay less for a gym but not actually get anything for that'.
    And Barry, while I do admire what you guys are doing (genuinely), especially the noble part of trying to get everybody motivated etc... I hope that either you're lucky enough to get an extraordinary membership into the club, or you accept early on that some people will just be lazy, no matter how much you try to help them.
    Yes sure some people are lazy, but I actually prefer the term demotivated. If I went into a commercial gym tomorrow with the intention of working out I would do fvck all as well. Why would I concentrate on my workout when I have a flatscreen TV to watch, a cappucino and muffin to have afterwards? Who is pushing me on? Who is helping me out? Nobody. Being in a large gym is like standing at a urinal. You basically have to pretend that the person next to you doesn't exist.
    I've tried to help friends of mine time and time again, and I've sadly come to the disappointing conclusion that a person will not succeed unless they truly take it upon themselves to get fit and show dedication. That includes myself.
    Maybe your friends don't like you? Obviously I get what you mean and genuinely lazy people get nowhere. But lets take a famous Dublin gym in which I've been which has 18,000 members. Now I don't think it's too conservative to say that the people in good shape in that gym would maybe number 100? If even that? Does that mean that 17,900 members of this gym are lazy? I don't think so. I think what it means is that 17,900 members are being sold something they're not recieving, being brought into an environment that is as conducive to hard work as their bedroom is, and then not being encouraged to stay because that's not the sales model. After all if all of the members turned up for 2 hours over the course of a week they'd be screwed.
    On a nicer note, what equipment are you guys looking to get?
    Well that's the funny thing I think people will be surprised at how little this place will contain. You actually don't need much when you have good coaching. All I used to have was some med balls and some bands but I put people in great shape with just those and a bit of imagination. Luckily, I'll have a lot more than that at Informed Performance!
    Basically:
    150sqm of matted area for martial arts, yoga, pilates and rehab work.
    100sqm of 3rd generation astro turf for agility drills and indoor skills practise
    Two 25m lanes of turf running track
    A soft track for rehab running work
    Timing gates for fitness testing
    3 racks
    3 weighlifting platforms
    1kg-50kg dumbells
    a few hundred kgs of O plates plus trap bars, O-bars, ez bars etc.
    A glute ham raise
    A bench row
    Assorted other benches :)
    Med balls, swiss balls, cones etc for circuit work
    20 foot competition style boxing ring
    100sqm area with mats for boxing/kickboxing/muay thai including 6 heavy bags, speedballs etc.
    The same area will have dip bars, monkey bars etc.
    A 14 metre pull up bar for team pull ups.
    Assorted cool stuff like tractor tyres, sledgehammers, viper belts, Xvests, a prowler sled, harnesses, heavy bands.
    Also a big stereo so Will can play Australian music like ACDC followed by Kylie.

That's just the basic list there's more on our wish list. But even though we'll have all this and a bit more that I'm forgetting, it will not be about the kit. I'll only say this once and I'm only saying it because he doesn't read this forum. You're getting someone who has coached Olympic medalists here, not just some guy who fancied opening a gym. Oh yeah and you'll have me and I don't think I'm the worst coach in the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Roper wrote: »
    Being in a large gym is like standing at a urinal. You basically have to pretend that the person next to you doesn't exist.

Confusius, is that you? I think you found your slogan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭JMCD

Roper wrote: »

Basically:
    150sqm of matted area for martial arts, yoga, pilates and rehab work.
    100sqm of 3rd generation astro turf for agility drills and indoor skills practise
    Two 25m lanes of turf running track
    A soft track for rehab running work
    Timing gates for fitness testing
    3 racks
    3 weighlifting platforms
    1kg-50kg dumbells
    a few hundred kgs of O plates plus trap bars, O-bars, ez bars etc.
    A glute ham raise
    A bench row
    Assorted other benches :)
    Med balls, swiss balls, cones etc for circuit work
    20 foot competition style boxing ring
    100sqm area with mats for boxing/kickboxing/muay thai including 6 heavy bags, speedballs etc.
    The same area will have dip bars, monkey bars etc.
    A 14 metre pull up bar for team pull ups.
    Assorted cool stuff like tractor tyres, sledgehammers, viper belts, Xvests, a prowler sled, harnesses, heavy bands.
    Also a big stereo so Will can play Australian music like ACDC followed by Kylie.

That's just the basic list there's more on our wish list. But even though we'll have all this and a bit more that I'm forgetting, it will not be about the kit. I'll only say this once and I'm only saying it because he doesn't read this forum. You're getting someone who has coached Olympic medalists here, not just some guy who fancied opening a gym. Oh yeah and you'll have me and I don't think I'm the worst coach in the world :D

Sounds FANTASTIC!! Shame its on the wrong side of the city but hey what can ya do! Best of luck with it in anyway! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Looks bloody cool. Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Thats exactly what it is like. Anyone who thinks 79eu a month is too expensive is mad. Maybe join for a month for the 89eu and see for yourself?

Advertisement