Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BLARNEY GOLF RESORT

• 09-02-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

heard today (from a good source) blarney golf resort (John Daly's design)
    hotel and spa is **insert rumour here**
    course is low on members 100-130ish
    gym is v busy
    hotel like the rest busy sometimes

hate to lose any course,its an ok one
    also members payed €10-15k less than 2yrs ago to join

how do you think this may play out ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I just edited the above because presumably it's still open for business until we hear otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

I heard it was buggered months ago. Will be lucky to last the Summer, along with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Not doubting this particular post, or soundsham's source - more a genearl comment but...

Would it not be a good idea to curtail this kind of talk on the board? While it's a reality for many clubs that they simply could be going out of business very shortly, the amount of locker room talk I hear lately is ridiculous. Everywhere outside the pale is done for, if you were to believe everything you hear.

It's been sad to see Luttrellstown go. Many courses could well follow. But in the meantime, if we're to open up the forum to speculation from anyone who's heard anything, it'll be a) depressing to read and b) when it's inaccurate, as these rumours often are, it could be seriously worrying/frustrating for members of that course to have to read unfounded rumours, and also quite damaging to the reputation of a club.

As many of you know I like to speak my mind. But in these sh*tty financial times that are already damaging many people's enjoyment of golf, it'd be cool of us not to profisise the downfall of any clubs we've heard are "in trouble".

I'm not saying all the rumours are wrong, I'm just saying spreading the word on the forum does no one any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

But in these sh*tty financial times that are already damaging many people's enjoyment of golf, it'd be cool of us not to profisise the downfall of any clubs we've heard are "in trouble".

I'm not saying all the rumours are wrong, I'm just saying spreading the word on the forum does no one any favours.

+1
    Newbe here and the forum is a far more interesting place without rumors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

ok no prob
    its not a rumour its a fact
    its in administration as of last friday
    p.w.c the administrator on be half of a.i.b.

i wasn't sure earlier , i have been told for a fact in the last hour or so

my only worry is for the staff on whom i know a few and the members who forked out

• Advertisement

soundsham wrote: »
    ok no prob
    its not a rumour its a fact
    its in administration as of last friday
    p.w.c the administrator on be half of a.i.b.

i wasn't sure earlier , i have been told for a fact in the last hour or so

my only worry is for the staff on whom i know a few and the members who forked out

Shyte news. There's gonna be more and more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

I knew it had been up for sale, but sad to hear it's gone to the wall. No surprise really, they were looking for around €16-20m for it i think (which was way less than what they paid to build it) but who's going to pay that for a loss-making golf course in the current climate?

Graeme1982 wrote: »
    I knew it had been up for sale, but sad to hear it's gone to the wall. No surprise really, they were looking for around €16-20m for it i think (which was way less than what they paid to build it) but who's going to pay that for a loss-making golf course in the current climate?

didn't realise you saw the books graeme!!!

fact is hotel, spa \& course all doing ok,

but couldn't sell the 50+ holiday homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I don't see anything wrong discussing course closures , what we say or don't say will have no bearing on any course.
    As long as no one is stating unsolicated lies and are in fact stating it was a rumour then what's the problem . Getting a bit sick and tired of this over sensitive pc world we live in what ever happened to the freedom of speech !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Indeed i have, operating losses of over €3.5m over '06 and '07. Only the Government would have you believe that's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

feel sorry for the members (father inclusive) and the staff. But the owners and managers were fcukers of the lowest order, and delighted they failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

I noticed this before i began posting here,

Golf Charter: Rules and Guidelines [Updated June '08]

Welcome to the Golf forum. To make everyones online life that little bit easier here are some rules and guidelines for posting in this forum.
    Rules
    There is no free speech!-This is a privately owned website. You do not have the right to say whatever you want on here. You are expected to obey the rules just like anyone else. Not following the rules will get you banned. It is very simple. You are allowed to discuss anything as long as it doesn't break the following rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

Rubbish course that was always doomed in my opinion. Short cuts taken since day 1 & its coming back to bite them now. No loss to golf, what'll happen to all the buggies?

I do feel for staff & members though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jamesore

I find that in the current economic conditions that some of your comments are very off putting. There are people losing jobs every day in the hospitality sector and you comment on things like good riddance. There has been no truth to these rumors as far as I can see and is still trading away. I stayed and played golf there recently, it is a fine resort and offers excellent value for money. To be honest boards like this should not be used for a rumor creation machine. I would hope that the resort continues to operate as it is welcome addition to Cork. All we need is another course going down the drain as we will be left with nothing then. From what I have been lead to believe the hotel is practically full from March onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭corkandproud

but couldn't sell the 50+ holiday homes.

FALSE, the hotel is leased out with little return on the capital employed. THe course is being run in house at a profit, but again no dilution of the capital invested.

Agreed, imagine the couples who paid €30k and were safe in the knowledge that it was a "redeemable share"

Golf staff too as they worked their asses off to keep the wolf from the door.

jimboddb wrote: »
    Rubbish course that was always doomed in my opinion. Short cuts taken since day 1 & its coming back to bite them now. No loss to golf, what'll happen to all the buggies?

I do feel for staff & members though.

defo not rubbish course
    greens as good as anything out there,sand based fairways good too
    couple of funky holes all right,

hope it makes it,
    lot of worse courses out there,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

defo not rubbish course
    greens as good as anything out there,sand based fairways good too
    couple of funky holes all right,

hope it makes it,
    lot of worse courses out there,

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. The greens are good alright but so many holes are of poor design. Plus its like bloody Baghdad with the balls flying everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Listen it's no good talking about greens and fairways if the figures don't stack up.

How many Cork courses are in trouble:

Blarney, Castlemartyr & Harbour Point: Operationally efficient but no return on capital invested

Monkstown: Operational costs out of control and big increases for members

Cobh New Course: Desperately seeking members to avoid levies on existing members

Hangmans Point: On Hold(?)

Old Head: 2009 bookings 70% down on 2008 (and 2008 wasn't a great year)

It's the captial repayments that are killing most courses now, you can run a golf business profitably but ya still gotta pay for it.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I'd like to play the Old Head sometime but no thanks to paying €300 for the 'privilege'.
    If they struggle with bookings it will be interesting to see what rate they will arrive at to tempt more locals (Irish) to play there.

Licksy wrote: »
    I'd like to play the Old Head sometime but no thanks to paying €300 for the 'privilege'.
    If they struggle with bookings it will be interesting to see what rate they will arrive at to tempt more locals (Irish) to play there.

I feel a bit bad saying it, but in boom-time, the Old Head made it patently clear that it was not catering for the ordinary golfer, but aimed at high-end corporate businesses and Americans who arrive at the course by helicopter, then head up to the K club the next morning.

This is just my own impression but it's specific to the OH. Sure, the K Club and Druids Glen were always exclusive, but not as stringently. The K Club compete some interclub competitions* like any other club, offering free practice rounds, they've begun hosting Junior and Senior Scratch Cups at relatively reasonable prices, Druids Glen are obviously doing good annual deals on their Heath course and offering free vouchers to members joining...

To me, the Old Head positioned itself as an aloof manner, uninterested in attracting business from the irish golfing public. Had this not been the case, the course would not have to worry so much about repositioning itself in the current climate, now that American and corporate business has dwindled.

*Yes, the K Club pulled out of the Best Cup because Hazel Grove took the p*ss but pulling up with a coach-load of players and multiple managers and reserves in advance of their match. But they did set up a new interclub comeptiton called the Straffan Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hayes.paul

Hey.. you got your facts wrong.. Blarney Golf Resort has gone into receivership.. see Bus Post from Sunday.. bank appointed receiver so all they want to do is get some money back from a sale.. and get rid of a property developer who got in too deep...

that is all good for joe public as the price of membership will come down.. its unfortunate for current members but if the place stays open which has a 99% chance of doing so then they will still be able to get value from using the course..

think lee valley and fota who were both bought 3 times before they got it right..

course to remain open at the moment

watch this space

maybe available to join at a very small price

even at a monthly rate, with no hello money

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

Heard today off a menber its 100 euro a month to join. No hello money. Not a bad deal for people looking for membership. Shocking loss for people who were members. Didnt get much else. Anyone know more?

jimmystars wrote: »
    Heard today off a menber its 100 euro a month to join. No hello money. Not a bad deal for people looking for membership. Shocking loss for people who were members. Didnt get much else. Anyone know more?

heard same

will be offered to public in april

heard same

will be offered to public in april

Where did you hear that it will be offered to the public in April?

I've been told it is a one week offer and every member gets two applications.

Edit: I've had confirmation that it's open to the public as well.....

not open to public

being offered through existing members, by each member having 2 applications for new members, think its available to promote some control over who comes in, capped @ 400 i've been told so its mostly work friends and a lot of locals who will get in @ €300 up front and €75 per month after that

original members paid €15,000 20 months ago................sad for them unfortunately burned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yoshi_Toshi

Any update on this one?
    I played there last week and I would definatley join it.

heard they have almost got in what they needed
    an extra 240ish members all in for free
    hopefully they will survive now with 400 members subs green fees etc should be in with a shot
    hopefully they will spend a share of this money on cousre development too as from what i was told no planting been done since it opened as funds were being managed a little differently

I joined... looking forward to heading up on Saturday. Haven't played a round in about 9 months though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Anyone know if they do country membership ?
    Living in Tipp but work in Cork during the week a lot.

thanks,

Advertisement