Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Find Someone's mobile Phone Number

• 03-03-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,
    im looking to get in touch with an old friend, i know his name, dob, school he went too, address etc. was looking to get his mobile number but have no mutal friends that i could ask. i know i have his address and could go there but at moment i am working in OZ and can't i will write a letter if i cant find his mobile number but is there a way of finding it on 02/Vodafone/Meteor??

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think your best bet would be to get a landline phone number, rather than a mobile.

I don't believe there is a mobile phone directory service in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ring up the customer care of the various networks. Give name / address and see if they're in the directory. If they are they'll give you the number and if not they won't.

Have you tried Googling some of his details? You'd be shocked what you'll find these days and you may find alternative contact details for him.

Try www.eircomphonebook.ie as well for a possible landline number for him.

No harm sending a letter in the meantime anyway asking him to contact you.

MOD MODE: If anyone posts in this thread with illegal or similiar dubious ways of getting someones number you're getting a weeks ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

Random wrote: »
    Ring up the customer care of the various networks. Give name / address and see if they're in the directory. If they are they'll give you the number and if not they won't.

Have you tried Googling some of his details? You'd be shocked what you'll find these days and you may find alternative contact details for him.

Try www.eircomphonebook.ie as well for a possible landline number for him.

No harm sending a letter in the meantime anyway asking him to contact you.

MOD MODE: If anyone posts in this thread with illegal or similiar dubious ways of getting someones number you're getting a weeks ban.

This is actually youre best bet. Ring the netwowks and see if the number is on that network and then jsut ask them if they can help you. You just have to be careful how you ask. Is the agent thinks youre being fraudulent they'll stop being helpful. It will also flag your friends account and may make life harder on him. Be honest. Tell them you have a name and all these details, if the person didnt select the privacy otion when registering his phone(and very few people even know its there) then they're allowed pass on his contact details to you. I wouldnt suggest saying you know his dob and such, cause that looks like your phishing for details. Name and address will be enough for most agents to try and help within the rules.

Word of warning though. It's gonna be down to the person you get. This is out side the normal. So dont be dissappointed if they cant or wont help you.
    Try searching his name on the likes of bebo or facebook maybe? If you know his address you could actually ring eircom and see if they have a landline number registered to that address. IF its not ex directory they'll gladly give that to you with out you having to beg or give your friends details out

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Absolutely no chance the networks will give you a persons phone number, huuuuuge breach of data protection and a sackable offence, doesnt matter who it is they wont give it out

Not really. Despite what some people think there is a list of registered phone for mobiles. It's just not made as available as say the golden pages. For example on meteor you have to actually select the option to have your number removed from that public list. So it depends really on if the networks default position is have people on public or private.
    Mobiles are the same as landlines, there's just a little more anonymity because it's faster to change your name on it. The pass your details onto interested third parties can be just normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

maybe ring the network, explain your case, give them your number, they can contact the person then to see if they are willing to let you have the number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

metalfest wrote: »
    maybe ring the network, explain your case, give them your number, they can contact the person then to see if they are willing to let you have the number?

Eh, no they won't!

have you tried? have you a better suggestion??

Edit: yep didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Cable wrote: »
    Not really. Despite what some people think there is a list of registered phone for mobiles. It's just not made as available as say the golden pages. For example on meteor you have to actually select the option to have your number removed from that public list. So it depends really on if the networks default position is have people on public or private.
    Mobiles are the same as landlines, there's just a little more anonymity because it's faster to change your name on it. The pass your details onto interested third parties can be just normal people.

If their name is in a public directory it doesn't matter how you ask, they've made the information public so they want people to have it and it's not up to the agent to decide if you're worthy of it or not
    Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Eh, no they won't!
    When my laser card went missing someone called aib and asked them to call me and give me their number. Don't see why a network wouldn't do something similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

I have rang one of those directory enquiries numbers before and got someone's mobile no. as someone said earlier there's an option NOT to be included in teh directory when you buy a mobile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do a search for him on Facebook or MySpace.

Very few folks not on one of those these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dades wrote: »
    Very few folks not on one of those these days.

And I'm proud to be one of them.

:D

+1:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Me too. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's some achievement, lads. Fair play. ;)

At least people can reach you on your mobile.

070927-old-cell-phone.jpg

krudler wrote: »
    Absolutely no chance the networks will give you a persons phone number, huuuuuge breach of data protection and a sackable offence, doesnt matter who it is they wont give it out

See this thread here - http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=253

This is what I was referring to and as per my post not suggesting that someone try to trick an agent into giving out details or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    If their name is in a public directory it doesn't matter how you ask, they've made the information public so they want people to have it and it's not up to the agent to decide if you're worthy of it or not

When my laser card went missing someone called aib and asked them to call me and give me their number. Don't see why a network wouldn't do something similar

It's hardly the same thing. Besides I know people who work in call centres - not really what they're for, this kinda thing.

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    It's hardly the same thing. Besides I know people who work in call centres - not really what they're for, this kinda thing.
    if you can't help then don't comment complaining about other people who are trying to help maybe? just a thought...

I think I get what Mr. Frost meant though. And it's along the lines of what I meant. Theyre not there to be a phone book for those numbers that are available (and for the record it is possible, I tried finding 3 numbers on 3 different networks and was successful wiht all 3). It's down to the day the agent is having and how busy it is that'll decide how helpful they want to be and how far they're willing to go to find this person. Three were the only network that would not give me the number, they did however offer to ring the person on my behalf and ask if that person would want to revieve a connected call without the number being revealed.

They're not supposed to give out the number unless it's in the directory as per the Data Protection Act.

Anyways, I feel this thread has run it's course so I'm going to close it now before the mad ideas start popping up.

OP - hope you have your answers.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement