Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf lessons south dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 erratic

I've seen recommendations for pros for low single figure handicappers, can any of you recommend a pro on the southside for a 12 handicaper?
    I've been playing for over a decade, never had a lesson, I've been an inconsistent 13-14 for the last 8 years, got to 12 for the first time at the end of last season.
    My primary aim is consistency, if that delivers 11, great!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

erratic wrote: »
    I've seen recommendations for pros for low single figure handicappers, can any of you recommend a pro on the southside for a 12 handicaper?
    I've been playing for over a decade, never had a lesson, I've been an inconsistent 13-14 for the last 8 years, got to 12 for the first time at the end of last season.

A good teaching pro is a good teaching pro regardless of your handicap in my opinion. Any of the recommendations made by others should be equally suitable to you. And anyway, it's not like you're a beginner off 12!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Ive nevr had a lesson but have heard very good reports on Raymie Burns in South County.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Have you been keeping track of where you are actually dropping the shots?
    I used to think it was the missed fairways & greens but even the best in the world do that. Assuming you have the basics of a swing a better short game is going to be what separates you from a single digit handicap IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 erratic

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    I make as many up and down pars as regulation pars.
    My chipping is sharp (on home turf at least), my putting is just about average.
    I read "Golf is not a game of perfect", last year and it was definitely worth a couple of shots per round.
    I hit way fewer greens in regulation now than I did in 2000 when I went from 19 to 13. My chipping was poor then (a dose of the unmentionables).
    My irons are fair up to 150m, long irons and fairway woods are poor.
    I'd say I hit less than half the fairways on average, with the odd one landing on the far side of dividing spinney.
    My home course (parkland with no water and short rough) has a number of parallel holes where you get away with waywardness. Thats kills you when on away courses, links in particular.

I'm open to changing my swing entirely, spend some time in the range between lessons, but would like to evolve my current swing rather than destruct it and start from scratch.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
    I make as many up and down pars as regulation pars.
    My chipping is sharp (on home turf at least), my putting is just about average.
    I read "Golf is not a game of perfect", last year and it was definitely worth a couple of shots per round.
    I hit way fewer greens in regulation now than I did in 2000 when I went from 19 to 13. My chipping was poor then (a dose of the unmentionables).
    My irons are fair up to 150m, long irons and fairway woods are poor.
    I'd say I hit less than half the fairways on average, with the odd one landing on the far side of dividing spinney.
    How many putt are you taking per round. If its more than 30 then you need to work on it.
    If your long irons and woods are poor then as well as practicing them, try not to hit them when you are playing. Off a 13 handicap you dont really need to hit them at all during a round. Play the longer holes as a bogey hole and at least you wont be dropping shots.

If you think your short game is good enough then the next thing to check is your course management. Its quite possible that you are putting yourself into trouble needlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭arg

GreeBo wrote: »
    How many putt are you taking per round. If its more than 30 then you need to work on it.

30 putts per round would be quite good I think. Most people would have between 30-36 per round. I do agree that placing emphasis on putting practive is generally very rewarding.

arg wrote: »
    30 putts per round would be quite good I think. Most people would have between 30-36 per round.
    I would disagree with this Im afraid. I think the "average" golfer takes 36 putts. The problem in golf is that there are far more crap players than good players. This swings the average up. In theory you should only be taking 36 putts if you are hitting 18 greens. If you are not hitting 18 greens and still taking 36 putts then you are never getting up and down, so its either your short game or your putting but probably both.
    I would consider anything over 32 putts a bad day on the greens and Im off 11.

The worst PGA player last year had an average of 30.8 putts per round and the best 27.9 for a difference of 700 more putts that year.
    arg wrote: »
    I do agree that placing emphasis on putting practice is generally very rewarding.
    Most definitely. Its arguable the easiest way to shoot lower scores. There is no reason why anyone cannot putt as well as Tiger Woods does.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Iceman78

GreeBo wrote: »

Most definitely. Its arguable the easiest way to shoot lower scores. There is no reason why anyone cannot putt as well as Tiger Woods does.

Absolutely clueless about golf if you think like that. If most average players could putt like the worst pro on tour, they would drop 2/3 shots no problem.

Iceman78 wrote: »
    Absolutely clueless about golf
    Yep, you got me.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement