Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France v Wales (pre/during/post thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

corny wrote: »
    They're game is built on getting over the advantage line with their ball carriers and creating a high tempo game. When England stopped Powell and Roberts dead on the gainline they'd no plan B. Drifting through phases going sideways. They scored one try from turnover ball in midfield against a poor England side (and i don't subscribe to this resurgent England nonsense). Their simple game plan can be contained which leaves them not totally blunt but makes them eminently beatable. Against Scotland they made a load of unforced errors too.

Perhaps i'm being hyper critical. They have some dangerous gamebreakers after all. I read an article this morning describing them as a tier one Rugby nation (alongside NZ and SA) and easily the best side in the 6N! In that context i think they will be found out.

Gatland and several of the players in interviews after the game, said that they knew Powell and Roberts were to be targeted and that they still felt that they would be able to play this lower risk rugby and not use them as decoys - in other words they felt they could outmuscle England without needing to stretch themselves in attack too much.

Against Scotland the majority of errors came after the game was won and the subs bench emptied.
    They are the best team in the 6N at the moment but that doesnt meant they cant be beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Webbs wrote: »
    Gatland and several of the players in interviews after the game, said that they knew Powell and Roberts were to be targeted and that they still felt that they would be able to play this lower risk rugby and not use them as decoys - in other words they felt they could outmuscle England without needing to stretch themselves in attack too much.

Against Scotland the majority of errors came after the game was won and the subs bench emptied.
    They are the best team in the 6N at the moment but that doesnt meant they cant be beaten

Based on what?

twinytwo wrote: »
    Based on what?

8 6N wins on the bounce - only NH team to beat decent SH opposition in autumn - highest IRB ranked NH team etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Webbs wrote: »

Well they were wrong about the outmuscling bit. Powell got nowhere. Roberts not much better. Great gameplan too, they were the bounce of a ball away from being beaten. Thats not low risk rugby. It's either a limitation or terrible coaching. I know where i stand.

Against Scotland the majority of their errors came in the first half.

corny wrote: »
    Well they were wrong about the outmuscling bit. Powell got nowhere. Roberts not much better. Great gameplan too, they were the bounce of a ball away from being beaten. Thats not low risk rugby. It's either a limitation or terrible coaching. I know where i stand.

Against Scotland the majority of their errors came in the first half.

Both Powell and Roberts took several players out of the game on their carries and were able to lay the ball off even if they went backwards (england only had 4 turnovers all game), this was a gameplan that worked upto a point in that there was a lack of precision/final ball to truly break the English lines.

If you put a flanker at the 12 channel on your defending scrums like England did then you are unlikely to be in a creative mood, Wales expected it and played it as they saw it and were as comfortable as they have been for many a long year against England.

And I do think the Welsh tight 5 outmuscled the English, which is why I expect Ireland to have a comfortable win as they will be able to easily match
    the English tight forwards at the breakdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

This is the pivotal weekend of the event, Wales to beat France tonight and Ireland to lose against England tomorrow!

Say all you want fella's Wales are far and away the better team... win ugly or win sexy we can do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

The Welsh players are completely straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Noffles wrote: »
    This is the pivotal weekend of the event, Wales to beat France tonight and Ireland to lose against England tomorrow!

Say all you want fella's Wales are far and away the better team... win ugly or win sexy we can do it...

Book marking this quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Goose81 wrote: »
    The Welsh players are completely straight.

Sweet lord....I have nothing against Wales (well not much) but c'mon they have the biggest team of nancy boys in world rugby. I just hope they don't all lose form or they will be nancy boys who are also ****e! :P

I'd say Hook was delighted to get a free tan though, saved him having to fork out that week.

Book marking this quote!

Please do... and if it comes back to haunt me it's not the end of the world is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Agreed, but that wouldn't be hard, France are an absolute mess at the minute, and Lievremont's selection makes me wonder if he hasn't got a granny in Merthyr....

toomevara wrote: »
    Agreed, but that wouldn't be hard, France are an absolute mess at the minute, and Lievremont's selection makes me wonder if he hasn't got a granny in Merthyr....

haha... With the Onus on the kicking game it is odd that they haven't a dedicated kicker on the pitch, the waiting is almost over, we'll soon see if the decision is good ne' bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

haha... With the Onus on the kicking game it is odd that they haven't a dedicated kicker on the pitch, the waiting is almost over, we'll soon see if the decision is good ne' bad!

That means they mighn't bother kicking and just run with the ball in hand, which could be very dangerous for Wales.

On the other hand, an open game will also suit Wales, so I think this could be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

France will throw the ball around with abondon glee tonight - they will go into the match as underdogs, which is a very dangerous thing for the opposition. All the pressure is on Wales which will suit France especially in Paris - I can't see anything but a France win - easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

LilOc wrote: »
    There is no maybe. This is the last straw.

- A center at 10
    - Partnering a 20-year-old lightweight at 9 (when the likes of Elissalde, Mignoni are left home...)
    - An uncaped 20 y/o bulldozzer who can't pass for sh*t at centre
    - Dusautoir and Jauzion shattered
    - Malzieu, left winger, made to play on the right
    - Marconnet who's not back in form and has been humbled in all his outings in the Top 14 so far called back when we have Emmanuelli (who performed this weekend against Toulouse)
    - Ouedraogo who's not international standard by any means selected AGAIN when we have at least 10 better players ahead of him
    - No proper kicker (wether in the game or in front of the posts)!!!

Extra factors :
    - game played in the dullest stadium in France where the opposition is better supported than the French team (they will be booed, well Lièvremont will be anyway FOR SURE this friday)
    - Players played Top 14 last weekend while the Welsh team have been able to prepare.
    - Match played on a Friday night (madness)

PATHETIC. What a waste of talent and money. They're doing their best to kill French rugby.

If Wales can't beat that team, they don't deserve to win anything in this tournament.

id have to agree with this. For anyone else that does, Wales are 10/11 with a minus 3pts handicap in the bookies. looks a steal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Warper wrote: »
    France will throw the ball around with abondon glee tonight - they will go into the match as underdogs, which is a very dangerous thing for the opposition. All the pressure is on Wales which will suit France especially in Paris - I can't see anything but a France win - easily.

Or with Baby at 10 they might just bosh it up the centre all night long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

sorry if this has been answered already (can't see it though) but can someone tell me what is the actual definitive reason this match is on a Friday night?

And please don't give vague answers like 'tv execs'.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

jtsuited wrote: »
    sorry if this has been answered already (can't see it though) but can someone tell me what is the actual definitive reason this match is on a Friday night?

thanks

But sadly that is what it's all about, tv views! They want to maximize their views by putting it on a Friday. Still a rubbish idea though.

Stev_o wrote: »
    But sadly that is what it's all about, tv views! They want to maximize their views by putting it on a Friday. Still a rubbish idea though.

what tv execs? who made this decision and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

jtsuited wrote: »

thanks

That is the reason.:confused:

Do you think there's some wider conspiracy at work here? A commercial decision was made to have one match per tournament on a Friday night, as a trial.

There were several matches during the 2007 RWC on Friday nights, and unlike Saturday and Sunday afternoons, there is zero competition from other sports at 8pm on Friday.
    Six Nations' chief executive John Feehan said: "The Friday night option is one which will certainly be explored. It's a proposal at this stage, no more, no less. The subject has been raised by three or four of the championship stakeholders.

"My own view is that it could be very, very popular. One or two countries are building a reasonable tradition for big matches on Fridays. Many people would prefer Friday night to Sunday afternoon.

"It fits into the peak-time TV slot but this is not a money issue. It's about developing rugby and one of our chief objectives is to do that. I make no apologies for having millions of extra viewers watching the matches.

"The championship cannot be set in stone. It's a case of evolution, not revolution, finding a suitable balance between developing the game, generating revenue and maximising the enjoyment.

"Ask fans and they all want their game at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. But there's a big TV audience out there and if all the games start at the same time you're missing a big opportunity.

"The championship will change over time. Exactly how will be a matter for the Unions involved."

I reckon if you want any more details you'll have to contact Six Nations Rugby Ltd., they're based in Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2.:)

• Advertisement

From what I've heard it was a decision by the French TV stations due to football being on on a Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

With big football matches on a sunday, friday night games makes alot of sense.

Early Welsh penalty for Stephen Jones.

4mins: France 0 Wales 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Is it my eyesight or is RTE showing the score as FRA 0 GAL 3

Morzadec wrote: »
    From what I've heard it was a decision by the French TV stations due to football being on on a Saturday

ah now that makes more sense. thanks.

Morgan Parra strikes a lovely 34m penalty after Martyn Williams is pinged for playing the ball off his feet.

6mins: France 3 Wales 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Skyuser wrote: »
    That's the France Network's scoreboard, notice that it's not the usual RTÉ graphic. So it's in French basically.

Yes, that's the French for Wales. Pays de Galles.

Another Jones penalty.

9mins: France 3 Wales 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Not your eyesight!

• Advertisement

not sure cos im stuck in work. but i know rte rarely bother changing the french scoring templates. GAL stands for Wales (Pays de Galles) in french

Advertisement