Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experience with Throwaway Ticketing? (Not using the second leg of a return journey)

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi All,

I did a search and there doesn't seem to be anyprevious discussions.

I am looking for people's experiences with not using return legs.

I am arranging a trip travelling around the USA and for my journey out of USA, my one way fare would be a lot more than the return fare! (to the tune of €3,500!!)

I am pretty much locked into the flight home, so choosing another flight is not really an option and I don't fancy the other option of multiple transfers.

So I am considering booking the return but not taking the second leg.

I've read up on it and it seems quite a common practice, I am just looking for any stories any of you may have and if you would recommend.

Also, would doing this (leaving USA and having a ticket booked to travel to USA but not using) have any affect on how the US authorities may view me?

All feeedback and stories appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

People don't use return legs for all sorts of reasons and it's very common.

The airline don't care if you don't show up and the US Authorities only care that you leave their jurisdiction as per your visa or ESTA.

That's a big price difference, travelling on business/first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

bluskut wrote: »
    Hi All,

I did a search and there doesn't seem to be anyprevious discussions.

I am looking for people's experiences with not using return legs.

I am arranging a trip travelling around the USA and for my journey out of USA, my one way fare would be a lot more than the return fare! (to the tune of €3,500!!)

I am pretty much locked into the flight home, so choosing another flight is not really an option and I don't fancy the other option of multiple transfers.

So I am considering booking the return but not taking the second leg.

I've read up on it and it seems quite a common practice, I am just looking for any stories any of you may have and if you would recommend.

Also, would doing this (leaving USA and having a ticket booked to travel to USA but not using) have any affect on how the US authorities may view me?

All feeedback and stories appreciated.

Sorry I may be a bit dumb but I am finding it hard to figure out what you are trying to do, are you arriving at one airport and leaving from another, can you explain a bit better.

US Immigration will not let you in without a ticket out dated no later than 90 days after the day you enter.

People use only the outbound leg of a flight all the time, especially on low cost carriers, if a cheaper alternative exist for getting back.

Note that on full service carriers if you do not use the outward leg of a flight the return leg is automatically canceled.

Advertisement