Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The End with Sean Moncrief

• 20-02-2009 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

Does anyone remember an rte show called The End that was on around 1996, Sean Moncrief?

he had a puppet on with him too if I remember correctly.

Id love to see it again, but I cant find anything on youtube, dunno where else to look. I used to p**s myself laughing at it. I was only 12 then so maybe i might not find it as funny but Id still love to see it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think it was more 1993 to 1995 but it could have ran until 1996. Barry Murphy was on a Friday Night with Moncrieff on a Saturday Night

One of the Apres Match DVDs have an early clip of THE END with Barry Murphy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_(television)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I remember this show as well. It was completely random at times, and I think they also had a cartoon called "The Critic" interspersed throughout, although I might be wrong on that.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I remember this show as well. It was completely random at times, and I think they also had a cartoon called "The Critic" interspersed throughout, although I might be wrong on that.

Yeah I think the Critic would have been one of the shows. But they ran the full show so they never came back to the presenter during the ad break.

AFAIK other shows included: -

Dirk Detrick (Spoof day time chat show)
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Reggi Perin
    Boston Common
    Red Dwarf

They interspersed a Scottish skit show, a school girl used to sit on a table and after her story she would say "It's True..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 FestivalFox

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah I think the Critic would have been one of the shows. But they ran the full show so they never came back to the presenter during the ad break.

AFAIK other shows included: -

Dirk Detrick (Spoof day time chat show)
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Reggi Perin
    Boston Common
    Red Dwarf

They interspersed a Scottish skit show, a school girl used to sit on a table and after her story she would say "It's True..."

Yeah! I used to love the end. The Dick Dietrich show was class, I think it was called night stand. Beastly behavior was quiet funny too. Can think of the name of that puppet, its driving me crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Pretty sure that was Alexei Sayle's Stuff Quality viewing.
    Both presenters had fairly different takes on what was basically a presentation department job, like The Den for adults. Bizarre and wonderful, all the shows they had fitted the bill perfectly. I loved it, they used to have lots of (ir)regular items, piss takes of the Network 2 (as it was at the time) intros and the weird Pat Ingoldsby I knew from kids tv would come in spouting poetry that was a lot more grown up.
    Also showed the The Young Ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Most likely 'Absolutely' and Morwenna Banks.

The End featured this one skit that I'll never forget but will more than likely never see again, a voiceover of some old B&W dinner-dance with Murphy or Montcrieff singing "Four dancin' bastards, we've got four dancin' bastards".

I <3ed this.....Snotser was the name of the puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Couldnt stand Moncrief (and still cant actually)

Barry was genius though and it was easy giggly late night humor. Absolutely was Norweena Banks and it was genius.

Anybody remember all the "STONEYBRIDGE" stuff???

Used to crack me up

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Most likely 'Absolutely' and Morwenna Banks.
    My bad. Good spot, I remember this now. Always loved Stoneybridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I liked this show a lot. It was also my first opportunity to see The Young Ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I <3ed this.....Snotser was the name of the puppet.

No Snotser is\was on the Den

I think the name of the puppet on The End was Septic

starn wrote: »
    No Snotser is\was on the Den

I think the name of the puppet on The End was Septic

Yeah I think you are right, Would I be right in saying that he was a creation of Mr. Pussy's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I think so.

They also used to show a creature feature animation or something about the mating rituals of different animals (comedy).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

It was a brillaint show. Here's a clip with Barry Murphy (as Frank Stapleton).... you could say this is where apres match origniated from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDI_boFFbY&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

population wrote: »
    Couldnt stand Moncrief (and still cant actually)

GTFO hes brilliant!! Only good thing on Newstalk :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MattEmulsion

They also used to show a creature feature animation or something about the mating rituals of different animals (comedy).

Twas 'Beastly Behaviour'

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ha! i remember watching this years ago. i was about 9 and used to watch "the fall and rise of reginall perrin" on it on a friday night.

a guy i was in school with was on it. his brother was a producer and they had him on talking about star trek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Night Stand was fantastic. I wonder if it can be bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭tommytoofar

Have 3 full nights of it on tape here!! Was brilliant, even at the age of 11 and 12. Dont think Fawlty Towers was shown RTE for ages until it came along. Werent afraid to show some UK TV gems, ragically no longer the case of Irish telly where we now have the deluded notion that we can do it as well ourselves here with our national broadcaster:rolleyes:

Any word why it ended? (sorry for pun)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The End was a very enjoyable and original Irish programme and in usual RTE style it was discontinued.

Have 3 full nights of it on tape here!! Was brilliant, even at the age of 11 and 12. Dont think Fawlty Towers was shown RTE for ages until it came along. Werent afraid to show some UK TV gems, ragically no longer the case of Irish telly where we now have the deluded notion that we can do it as well ourselves here with our national broadcaster:rolleyes:

There might be a deluded notion out their that the British are still making quality TV, multichannel delusions :(

Ended around 1996 with the extension of late night TV on Network Two across the week. Sean Monicreiff began a chat show and then ended up doing DFTG.

RTE style it was discontinued.

Quality TV never survives it hopeful will make way for some more quality TV later on down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i remember barry murphy having a competition where the prize was a box of broken tiles. jaysis it was a cracking show though. it had police squad on friday nights when it started. one of the funniest stoopidest shows ever made.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is there any chance the 'Four dancin' bastards' voiceover sketch is on any of those tapes?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

No leads on the "four dancing bastards" bit but just wanted to say I loved that bit too. It would just pop up randomly during the show. Always made me laugh and I'm in stitches now remembering it. I think it was "Four dancing bastards, we've got four dancing bastards, we need more dancing bastards on the floor". I remember it as guys moshing / pogoing rather than a dinner dance type thing though.

K_P wrote: »
    No leads on the "four dancing bastards" bit but just wanted to say I loved that bit too. It would just pop up randomly during the show. Always made me laugh and I'm in stitches now remembering it. I think it was "Four dancing bastards, we've got four dancing bastards, we need more dancing bastards on the floor". I remember it as guys moshing / pogoing rather than a dinner dance type thing though.

tommytoofar if they are on your tape you should up load it to You Tube. I don't remember these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Pardon the bump but that i was thinking about that line and Googling it this thread came up. I'm pretty certain that was from Couched, the surreal Barry Murphy sketch show which ran late at night on Network 2 in 1998 for one series. It was very much in the spirit of the End. The sketch was a short snippet of gig footage of some Irish 80s hard rock band, maybe Mamas Boys, and four guys pogoing at the front of an otherwise empty dance floor. A voiceover with a Donegal type accent was dubbed over it going "four dancin bastards, on the dancefloor, four dancin bastards, we need more!".

Advertisement