Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter mountaineering on Lugnaquilla anyone?

• 10-02-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Have drylines, 3 ice screws and all the neccessaries + a car. All you need is suitable clothing, crampons and ice tools. Hoping to go to the North Prison (Grade I) and possibly the South Prison if theres time (Grade II) between thursday and sunday. PM me if you're interested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

You sound better prepared then those two guys who got lost on Lug yesterday. Anyone know if they have been found yet?

I'm not a lover of the snow myself - I had enough problems last Sunday trying to find a right of way that was supposed to exist between the wicklow way and kilmashogue lane. The damn snow was a good two feet deep in some places away from the trail - I was wishing for a pair of snow shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

dogmatix wrote: »
    You sound better prepared then those two guys who got lost on Lug yesterday. Anyone know if they have been found yet?

Looks like they were found: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0210/wicklow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

From A.H
    linky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Wow, I wonder if its the same dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Wow, I wonder if its the same dude.

Don't think so, that user made other boards.ie posts last night.

The rescue attempt even involved the ranger wing and numerous English and Irish helicopters, the bill must be massive.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsnideymhcw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Wouldn't believe half of that to be honest. It's incredible just how inaccurate the reporting is with regard to this operation. Absolutely boggles the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 toomi

i would like to go, but all my stuff stayed at home :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Gil_Dub

Wouldn't believe half of that to be honest. It's incredible just how inaccurate the reporting is with regard to this operation. Absolutely boggles the mind.

Thats usually the case with rescue reports. For example the recent cave rescue in Doolin was reported as guys using their mobiles from inside the cave to ring for help. That is some reception through 20 meters of rock.

The more you know about a news story the less connection with reality the reporting seems to have.

The rescued guy was on the radio yesterday he seemed to do everything right and have the right gear. Makes you think how dangerous even fairly normal mountains are when conditions suddenly change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The two guys have written a report over on the climbing.ie forum. Still doesn't answer my question though - anyone up for some winter climbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm going to learn how to climb this year and then I'll get back to you:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement