Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jam Jars

• 04-02-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Does anybody know where you can buy jam jars and I don't mean the jars which already contain jam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you mean the tapered ones then it is still often cheaper to buy them, throw out the jam and use them. I have a hobby that uses them and most resorted to doing this.

Squeez do cheaper versions than the Bonne Maman jam range, and the jars are the same. Empty jars are very expensive.

bonne-maman-strawberry-preserves.jpg

Some other food jars might be suitable, ones where the food should not have imparted too much flavour on lids, like canned carrots or tomato sauce. If you soak lids in baking soda & water it can absorb out some of the tastes, or I think you could put clingfilm or some paper stuff on the lids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Check out The Packaging Centre.

Confusingly, you want to look under 'Glass - (Food)' for the jars, not under 'jars'!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Thank you very much for all the replies - much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hoarde jars through the year - from anything and everything, jams, sauces, pesto, pickles, so on. THROW AWAY THE LIDS.

You can buy bags of jar lids in different standard sizes on the internet far more cheaply than buying the jars themselves - look for preserving supplies websites.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

it you go on to any of the recycling sites like jumbetown.ie or freecycle. people are always giving away jam jars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Strawberry1975

rockbeer
    That's sound can source jam jars now
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Alpack in Dublin...

In my market trading days ..... excellent service

https://www.alpack.ie/

A wondrous site!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Strawberry1975

Thankyou too.