Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accused of trying to use a fake €50 note

• 07-02-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

when paying for my items in one of the local shops i handed in a 50 note and the girl held it below the counter used the marker and said it was fake. Having used these markers before i know that it should turn black if its fake, it didnt I told her its not the marker hasnt changed colour and she said its a new one if it doesnt turn colour its fake. then she kindly offered to not tell the manager but would have to confiscate the note to prevent me using elsewhere after a few minutes arguing in which i told her to call the guards then she let me have my money back and go. I went into the shop next door which had the marker and a blue light and they verified it was real. I'm really ****ing pissed off now as i was fecking accussed of using a forged note infront of other customers.
    anyone else ever experience this?? how would you follow up on it?

Comments

Report her to management without a doubt.

"Confiscate" it? Cunt.

I wouldn't stand for it, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd have hung on there and asked to speak to the manager and the Gardaí and discussed the shop policy of confiscating forged notes.

Actually, I'd have tried to keep that 50 and not spent it. I still think you should call the shop, speak to a manager, and ask what the policy on confiscating notes is, and could (s)he confirm that they have new pens that don't change colour if it's fake.

Put it this way - if every shop uses a pen that leaves a black mark on a note if it's real, after about a week the note will be unusable due to being scribbled all over in black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I would at the very least asked for the manager and told him what she was up to , it was an attempt to rob you :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

I think i would have reported her to the Gardai and/or shop manager. Ive no doubt in this age it is on cctv and your story could be checked. An older or very young person may have fallen for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭sassa

I still have the note not parting with it till i get something done about it, i used my card to pay in the other shop and when i saw they had the marker and light for checking them i asked her to check it for me and explained what happened. If its a fake its a damn good one!

when i asked for the manager i was told they were not available at the minute and i could wait if i wanted if i wasnt in a hurry i would have. think the manager can expect a visit on monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

What a chancer! And the crap she came up with about the marker - ALL the markers only turn turn black if the note is fake, otherwise they'd end up defacing or destroying every legitimate note that the marker was used on to check it was legit. Even more fishy that management were suddenly unavailable at the time you asked to see them.

Definitely report her to management, ASAP, who knows who else she'll try this trick on in the meantime, and worse still, who might fall for her allowing to "confiscate" their "fake" notes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

did you get the name of the sales person that claimed your note was a fake ?

Call back to the shop or phone them and speak with a manager - explain to the manager that you have been accused of producing a forged note by a staff member and in front of other customers (possibly some people that you know)
    if they do not offer an explanation and complete apology - tell them you might need to consider contacting a solicitor - it might be harsh on the sales assistant but he/she faces loosing their job as a result of this event.

I do think this could have been at attempt to take the note from you which is something that maybe the Gardai need to be told about.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

I dont know how much good it will do now going back to the manager now - for all he knows you were trying to pull a fast one and now youre back with a real note and a grudge. You would have fared better waiting around that night had you the time. However it could be a clever wee scam going on- if no one ever reports their experiences management will never hear of it.
    My own experience with those pens is the same as yourself- no mark for real money, browny-black mark on duds. I have'nt seen or heard of these 'new ones' .

FWIW we do keep any fakes in the bank at the loss of the customer, and forward these to our own fraud dept. They are sent on to the central bank for destruction. Im assuming this is the same for all retail.

Heres hoping the rest of your night went better!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

At training about 4 years ago we were instructed to take fake notes and call the guard that looks after retail in the city, we all refused.
    It's dangerous to even question a note let alone tell the customer your taking it.

It always ends in agro. when you tell somebody you suspect the note may be fake.
    But hey we are paid to deliver bad news!
    I usually say something like it seams like you have been the victim of a counterfeit note and take them aside to investigate it.
    The usual answer is it just came from the machine / bank / post office etc.

In my opinion either the assistant is well dodgy ( those pens always change colour), or the shop has no propper procedure for forged notes so the assistant.

The answer in the store is proably that the assistant was so afraid of taking the note that they made a mistake etc.

I'd report it to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭hargo

So what was the name of the shop?

• Advertisement

hargo wrote: »
    So what was the name of the shop?

I'll check with a mod first if its allowed dont want to get banned on top of everything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Was the shop assistant Irish?

SouthKerry wrote: »

no. think she might have been latvian.
    But lets not turn it into a feckin foreigner thing. cant tar them all with the same brush.
    although i would tar and feather this one for doin that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

SouthKerry wrote: »

How is that relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

she kindly offered to not tell the manager but would have to confiscate the note to prevent me using elsewhere after a few minutes arguing in which i told her to call the guards then she let me have my money back and go.
    if the shop assistant was genuine she would have jumped at the chance to call the guards and let them deal with your fake note! quite obviously a "nice little earner" she has going on in the shop and i hope she gets sacked or arrested and charged for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

i saw something like this happen to a customer before when she handed in a fifty

he got pure thick about it and i felt sorry for the woman behind the counter. the confiscating thing sounds dodgy though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

definitely get the gardai involved, sounds like a deffo scam, quite possible the manager was in on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I do this all the time, buy fake fifties, then when someone hands me a real fifty i do a swop under the counter and use the marker on the fake fifty

I'm making millions

eth0_ wrote: »
    How is that relevant?

polish people are bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Reeks of a scam.

What happens if after 6 months of testing the note is all black, because it's real and the print can't be seen. Bull.

They're trying to make a little extra cash for themselves I think.

• Advertisement

kleefarr wrote: »
    Reeks of a scam.

What happens if after 6 months of testing the note is all black, because it's real and the print can't be seen. Bull.

They're trying to make a little extra cash for themselves I think.

you think?

obviously it doesn't make a mark if its real

definitely get the gardai involved, sounds like a deffo scam, quite possible the manager was in on it too

ye and the owner, and the person leasing the shop to the owner, and that guys wife :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No fcuking way would she have kept my note ,fake or nay .It's not her position to do so and if she did then I woukld want a reciept .

When discovered it's a real note , an apology .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i got told a note i handed in at the local newsagents was a fake (some years back!!) but they didn't try to confiscate it!!they don't have the authority to take your money from you of your not using it to pay for something!!bull!defo have a wordf with the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

latchyco wrote: »
    No fcuking way would she have kept my note ,fake or nay .It's not her position to do so and if she did then I would want a receipt .
    When discovered it's a real note , an apology .

So, which is it? Huh?

The law requires they keep it and call the Gardai.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    So, which is it? Huh?

The law requires they keep it and call the Gardai.
    If you have a fake note and have ligit reason for having it ie, innocence ,then the gardai will want to know how you came to have it .But how does any innocent person know were they might have got it in change ? . Just make sure you get reciept from store person and proof if required that it is a dud note .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

you think?

obviously it doesn't make a mark if its real

Yes.
    But, they were trying to convince the OP that it didn't make a mark though, so was a forgery. Now, if that was the case, all the real ones would be covered in black marks. No?

If you have a fake note and have ligit reason for having it ie, innocence ,then the gardai will want to know how you came to have it .But how does any innocent person know were they might have got it in change ? . Just make sure you get reciept from store person and proof if required that it is a dud note .

The gardai are not interested in the poor sod who got stuck with a fake bill. If, however, they find you have a pocket full of them.... Do you see?

nipplenuts wrote: »
    The gardai are not interested in the poor sod who got stuck with a fake bill. If, however, they find you have a pocket full of them.... Do you see?
    Being caught with a pocketfull of fake notes speaks volumes not just to the gardai but to anybody .The clever ones dont carry bundles of fake notes around with them .;)

There are quite a few fake £20 notes with metal strips in circulation and having seen a few , are very hard to tell from the real thing .

• Advertisement

Being caught with a pocketfull of fake notes speaks volumes not just to the gardai but to anybody .The clever ones dont carry bundles of fake notes around with them .;)

There are quite a few fake £20 notes with metal strips in circulation and having seen a few , are very hard to tell from the real thing .

Ah, but a fake £20.00 note will not be accepted in the Euro zone anyhow. So what's the point?

Advertisement