Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Privacy fears over Google "Latitude" tracker

Options
  • 05-02-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Google has announced a new feature that allows users to share their locations among a chosen network of friends.

The "opt-in" Latitude service uses data from mobile phone masts, GPS, or wi-fi hardware to update a user's location automatically.

Users can also manually set their advertised location anywhere they like, or turn the broadcast off altogether.

The service has raised a number of security concerns, as many users may not be aware that it is enabled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7872026.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Google has announced a new feature that allows users to share their locations among a chosen network of friends.

The "opt-in" Latitude service uses data from mobile phone masts, GPS, or wi-fi hardware to update a user's location automatically.

Users can also manually set their advertised location anywhere they like, or turn the broadcast off altogether.

The service has raised a number of security concerns, as many users may not be aware that it is enabled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7872026.stm
    "opt-in"
    I say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thats all a bit "silly" isnt it... you could say the same about gps trackers in taxis...

People who choose to install that program will know what there signing up to! if there caught in a place they shouldnt be then there stupid for installing it in the first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mena wrote: »
    I say no more.
    What if you were issued with a company phone and didn't have that option? There are plenty of sales reps and couriers that are driving about Dublin on GPS tracking devices that their bosses can pinpoint their location at any given time. This could take corporate surveylance to another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

What if you were issued with a company phone and didn't have that option? There are plenty of sales reps and couriers that are driving about Dublin that their bosses can pinpoint through GPS positioning. This could take corporate surveylance to another level.

1. I'd know how to disable it.
    2. Assuming I couldn't... who cares? If they want to keep tabs on me they are welcome to.

Mena wrote: »
    1. I'd know how to disable it.
    2. Assuming I couldn't... who cares? If they want to keep tabs on me they are welcome to.
    I would shove it in a Faraday cage.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I don't buy the slippery slope argument being voiced on the net about this. Even apart from the opt-in and the friends-only thing, GPS is a very client side technology and its output is entirely controlled by the user. There is absolutely no way The Man can track you with this, considering that even if you do opt in you can feed whatever bull you want to the google maps app about where you are.

I'm experimenting with this program and it currently shows me travelling in a huge arc over scandinavia. (by the way, that's not accurate) Even without fake GPS info, you can still set your location to anywhere by simply typing it in and no one is the wiser. No way this could even be used as evidence. You couldn't even use this to convince your girlfriend you weren't in the pub.

If I wore a tinfoil hat, I would be more worried about subpoenas on my cell triangulation data. And we all know how useful that was in a recent high-profile case. I am also not worried about my friends knowing where I am. I am not afraid of change.

The only reason for concern I suppose is minors giving away location data to predators. However, it seems that they could probably just tell them where they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The concerns being expressed are idiotic, and the people using it are equally idiotic. Perhaps it's good that they're tagging themselves though, they can play with the rest of the idiots, and the rest of us to avoid them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

dahamsta wrote: »
    The concerns being expressed are idiotic, and the people using it are equally idiotic. Perhaps it's good that they're tagging themselves though, they can play with the rest of the idiots, and the rest of us to avoid them.
    But how do you know who or where they are unless you tag them? :)

dahamsta wrote: »
    The concerns being expressed are idiotic, and the people using it are equally idiotic. .
    Not so if it becomes a trend for employment management as they have been doing with GPS vehicle tracking. Don't come back and say employees can use the "switch off" option, You will be out the gate. With the jobs market drying up beggars can't be choosers of who they work for.

Advertisement