Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Green Bin Dublin

• 01-01-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GreyhoundD22

Folks, a couple of threads on the website have mentioned the green bin service for Dublin. This has now been taken over by Greyhound Recycling & Recovery and they'll begin collecting the green bins from tomorrow, 2 January.

They also have a new dedicated website for the service: www.greenbin.ie

I'd be interested to hear opinions on the new service once it's up and running

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Does this include the Dublin 13 area ? Our timetable indicated a collection yesterday (which didn't happen). As a result most people now have their bins out from the night of Dec 30th. All we need is some wind & it's litter fines all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 GreyhoundD22

Imax, unfortunately, Greyhound are only responsible for the service from 1 January 2009. Up until this date, all queries would have been directed to the previous supplier.

Best thing to do is ring tomorrow (Friday) on 1890 342 342 and explain the situation.

Going by your website our next pickup is 14th January. Or are you going to do a collection before that ? The bins were last picked up a week before Christmas & are (naturally due to packaging/wrapping) stuffed beyond capacity.

I figure I have about another half bin full of material which I'm waiting to put into the bin but cannot do so because the bin is overfull as is.. Many others are the same.

Imax, as I said previously, best to telephone Greyhound tomorrow on that telephone number I listed. That section of the company deals solely with green bin issues and it's very unfortunate that the current contractor hasn't fulfilled their obligations by not picking up on 30 Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm delighted to see that you've expanded the service to include all clean plastics. That was an annoyance with the previous service. So much of the waste in the black bin was plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I have a few empty bicuit and roses tins (turkey was not the only thing that was stuffed this christmas at my place), can they go in the green bin? I've had a look at the greenbin.ie website, but it doesn't mention them.

And....what is meant by clean plastics? Would that include the plastic bags that come wrapped around electrical equipment? The plastic bag that Sunday papers use to wrap the magazine supplements? Yoghurt cartons (the 'see through' ones)? The plastic containers ready meals come in (washed, i presume...)?

Our first collection is due on the 8th, so i'll be watching with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

dudara wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see that you've expanded the service to include all clean plastics.

+1

However, I've noticed that some plastic packaging is marked as not recyclable - i.e. the usual recycling symbol with a big X across it.

Presumably some type of blended plastic? Is Greyhound accepting this in the green bin?

Well I called the number given this morning & asked when our bins would be picked up, the girl asked my address & when I told her she said they'd be picked up today. Grand so, went off about my daily business. Got home about 4.50 & the bins still weren't picked up, so I called again & the girl (same one I think) assured me that the guys were still out & the bins would be picked up. I'm sitting here looking out at a street full of green bins waiting over 48 hours to be picked up.

They (well someone) picked up the street behind us yesterday, they have to come down our street to get onto that one & somehow they forgot to pick them up. Any further recyclable product is going to have to go into our black bin until the green ones are emptied. As mentioned, I've at least another half a green bin full of stuff to go out as it is. Not impressed so far.

Interested in seeing the replies to Cuckoo's post. Also interested in my recycling being picked up...

Cuckoo

All the items you describe can go into the green bin: washed plastic (newspaper wrapped) and the food containers. The key thing is to wash/rinse plastic that was dirty or had a product in it (like butter or meat, for example).

Imax

I'll check on Monday about your situation. What is your street address? We've found that Oxigen have left a lot of streets uncollected up to and including 31 December, so we're trying to ascertain from them why this is so. It doesn't necessarily help you, but it puts it into context.

Let me know when your bin is emptied and I'll also follow it up from my end. (And if you are talking to the customer service at Greyhound's Green dept, make sure you ask for a name.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

People in my area have had their bins out since Monday the 29th, and well my mam was told that Oxigen would be be picking them up.

GreyhoundD22 you couldn't check when Sandford Ave, Off SCR will be collected? And the surrounding area.

• Advertisement

Gavin, I'm off site at present and have no access to data.

I'll get someone to check this for you on Monday. I saw that Thomas Davis Street (off Thomas St, D8) hadn't been collected either.

As I mentioned previously, Oxigen left a lot of people without collections.

I'll come back to you when I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Green bins were not lifted in d15 yesterday and there had been no notices to say that there had been changes in services or operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Greyhound website won't acknowledge my address!

Very frustrating after numerous go's.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had trouble finding my address on the website - we were under Milltown, whereas we use Dartry or Rathmines as a postal address. So I'd suggest trying other local areas.

But nevermind, our bins were supposed to be lifted this morning - and they were! But I'd say that we were the only house with our bin out - there was no notification of the change of service or of the Christmas service.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Beechman

What happend to oxygen ? did they go bust or just loose the contract with the councils. All recycleable material has lost its value over the past few months,so it may not have been worth their while to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭BIRDCAGE1

We only got notification 3 days ago that the operator had changed via a leaflet in the door, which stated that the bins need to be on the street by 7am in the morning. Our first collection by greyhound was yesterday, so I duely put the bin out at 6.20am on my way in to work............. it was finally emptied at 8.20pm that yesterday evening..!!!! better late then never I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Greyhound website won't acknowledge my address!

Very frustrating after numerous go's.

We really need a proper postcode system in this country.

Oxigen has lost the contract to Greyhound through a tender processed organised by the Dublin Local Authorities.

Calendars - we have inherited information from Oxigen and have endeavoured to fill in the gaps where we can. There will be mistakes.

if anyone cannot find their calendar as a result of the search not recognising their street name, then PLEASE email customerservice@greenbin.ie and let us know your street and regular day of collection.

And don't forget when searching: spell out STREET, AVENUE, CLOSE, etc. Do not abbreviate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No collection in North Strand area today.
    **edit
    Just as an update on this. I eventually got through to their helpline and was told they had some equipment failure and will be collecting today's collection tomorrow, so bags/bins should be put out again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Spurious

Apologies for the inconvenience. As our call centre indicates your route will be handled tomorrow.

Apologies if it took time for you to get through on the phone lines. We have fielded a mountain of calls as a result of non-collections from December, the fault of Oxigen, which was something we didn't think would happen. So, we fielding calls about this - as Oxigen have stopped doing it themselves - as well as looking after our own routes.

Oxigen has promised to clear their backlog within the next few days and we hope to have our issues cleared shortly too.

Thanks for your patience.

GreyhoundD22

Ours were picked up yesterday thankfully. Already have a nearly full bin ready for the 14th !

Good to hear, Imax!

I hope you are washing all your plastic containers!!!

GreyhoundD22

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

No collection in Cabra today as per the Greyhound calendar.

This change over has been a sham on everyones part as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

They collected ours as normal but a bit later than Oxigen used to, no complaints here!
    In fairness, it sounds like the whole thing was a bit rushed on both sides though

Bins were collected from my road today and by the looks of it the whole area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

North Strand collected today too, as promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 shadey

I just found my street address on the greenbin site, I would have been delighted if our bin was collected on the 8th January as expected: http://www.greenbin.ie/images/stories/calendars/Th6.pdf , but no sign so far. There are jam packed bins all over the street here and it is only a question of time before it turns into litter central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

still no colection in raheny:mad:

edit: just collected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

slightly off topic/

I'm a diligent green bin user - washing, folding and checking that i'm putting the right stuff in the bin.

But...a lot of my neighbours use their green bins like a black bin, so on green bin collection day there'll be plastic bags of general waste going into the truck along with my carefully selected recyclables.

I never saw a green bin that had been rejected by Oxigen for containing unsuitable waste, will Greyhound be as casual about what they collect?

I hope that their kitchen and general waste isn't contaminating the recyclables so much that it all ends up in landfill. :(

With the green bin being free there's not much of a reason for my neighbours to stop using it as a black bin, they're being lazy and saving money at the same time - unless their green bin isn't collected and/or they're fined.

Advertisement