Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Crow(2011)

Options
  • 15-12-2008 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Stephen Norrington to Reinvent The Crow
    Source: Variety

December 14, 2008

Stephen Norrington has signed on to write and direct a reinvention of The Crow, based on the comic created by James O'Barr, says Variety.

Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media is negotiating with producer Ed Pressman to acquire the film franchise and finance the film

Pressman produced the 1994 Alex Proyas-directed adaptation, in which rock musician Eric Draven (Brandon Lee) is murdered trying to rescue his girlfriend from thugs, and returns from the dead one year later to exact vengeance.

For Norrington, The Crow deal marks the end of a long screen sabbatical. After making his breakthrough with Blade, Norrington took on a big-budget comic transfer with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Neither the director nor his star, Sean Connery, has made a feature film since

"Whereas Proyas' original was gloriously gothic and stylized, the new movie will be realistic, hard-edged and mysterious, almost documentary-style," Norrington said.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, Pressman produced the first film but on the other hand, Norrington directed The League of Extroardinary Gentleman. Plus, I am very very wary of the quote I bolded. Realistic? When we are talking about a guy being resurrected by a bird, being realistic is quite dangerous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Huge fan of the 1st movie, thought it was excellent. Watched the second one, and gave up all hope.
    As for the quote you have highlighted i think its a certain emotion that will come only with a face palm!

We'll see anyway what happens!

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Why can't they leave it alone? All the follow up movies have progressively gotten worse with each movie.:mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Batman begins...

There I said it.

I loved the crow. And I hate reboots. And for every Batman Begins/The Dark Knight there is a Batman and Robin... or 4.

But the potential is there, for every remake to be a really good film. So I say, let em at it. It'll probably be horrible, but maybe it could be watchable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm a MASSIVE fan of the orginal,

My inital thought was just to leave it be, but upon thinking about it sure it won't do any harm if we just assume its going to be as much cock as the sequels and if it turns out watchable good if the pull a Batman Begins on it all the better.

Anyone want to bet that Christian Bale starts in it :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ivan wrote: »
    Batman begins...

There I said it.

I loved the crow. And I hate reboots. And for every Batman Begins/The Dark Knight there is a Batman and Robin... or 4.

But the potential is there, for every remake to be a really good film. So I say, let em at it. It'll probably be horrible, but maybe it could be watchable.

Well, like the OP said, a realistic style type film works for the likes of Batman: No superpowers or magic or anything like that. But with the Crow? An avenging spirit.

I mean, they could do it if they wanted to change the story (Have doctors revive him on the operating table or have him come out of a coma but then you're into Steven Segal zone :)

Plus, it's hard to beat the original (I deliberately avoided watching the sequels)

The success of BB and especially Dark Knight has a lot to answer for: Warner Bros now wants to do a whole dark/gritty/"Realistic" reboot of their comic franchises. I mean, how do you make Superman dark and gritty and realistic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I hated the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I hated the original.

Why does that not surprise me ?

Anyway yes the original has it's place in time and is wonderful for what it is,
    but it was drastically re edited and the focus shifted and soften after the death of Brandon Lee on set.

J.O'Barr's original work was a lot bleaker, dark and violent.
    It would be nice to see something truer to that, if that is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

'Documentary style'?

Great, that's often just an excuse for having poor production values.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thaedydal wrote: »

I don't know, why does it not surprise you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thaedydal wrote: »

Anyway yes the original has it's place in time and is wonderful for what it is,
    but it was drastically re edited and the focus shifted and soften after the death of Brandon Lee on set.

J.O'Barr's original work was a lot bleaker, dark and violent.
    It would be nice to see something truer to that, if that is possible.

I was actually going to ask how it compared to the original comics as I have not read them. As someone who has read the comics, what's your take on this proposed "Realistic-style"? Could it be done from the source comic point of view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Read the original comics, not overly different apart from a few characters and they get more into what the crow actually is.Its also abit more indept about what eric is actually going through.Loved the original film but am looking forward to Norrington returning to directing,hopefully we'llget something very special from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The sequels did indeed get progressively worse. I have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the third film, but fcuk me the fourth was cringeworthy. It could really have been left at one film, since each one has an identical premise and all that really changes is the death of the main character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I loved the first film. Haven't seen the sequels nor do I ever want to. I've seen 2 maybe 3 episodes of the tv series and wish I never did.

A remake or reboot could go one of two ways. I'll hold my judgement for when/if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jimmyneo1

Was a huge fan of the first one but it did have its flaws which could be fixed with a reboot. The main reason people hold it in such high regard because of the untimely demise of Brandon Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't think I've seen the original since it first came out.... could never understand why people find it appealing.

The only good thing about the film that I remember was the hot sister the bad guy had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I loved the first one and had nothing to do with mr lee been killed during the production. I just really enjoyed it, i haven't seen it in year though so don't know how its held up.

I know alot of my friends hated it, so i can understand people don't get it!
    Just i shudder to think of this reboot could bring

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So the new Crow movie is being driected by Stephen Norrington(Blade 1(yay), Leadue of Extraordinary Gntlemen(nay)). He also wrote the script i think. Now I was a big fan of the original movie with Brandon Lee and the comic book back when i wwas a moody teenager. I watched it again recently, and it still holds up to an extent,although it no longer grabs me like it did back then. I didn't like any of the sequals at all, they were terrible, and I didn't really hold much hope for this reboot,although i expected it to be better than the sequals at least. I'm just after reading some very interesting news though, the producers have just braught in Nick Cave to re-write the script, he's more known for his music obviously but he also wrote the brilliant The Proposition. My expectations have just gone from practically none to quite high indeed. Any thoughts??

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45928

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sounds very strange. I loved the original. Even watching it recently, I don't think it lost an ounce of what made it a classic flick. After the sequels, I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of remake but hope it turns out great. looking forward to seeing a sneak trailer to get a feel of where they are going with it.

This was discussed a bit already but like all the sequels just faded away

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055857616&highlight=crow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

They are apparently circling a "major star" for the title role:
    The team behind the reboot of the Crow franchise have offered the lead role to a "major actor", according to producer Edward Pressman.

Speaking to MTV, Pressman revealed that production on writer-director Stephen Norrington's revamp could start this year.

"[We've got an offer out] to a major actor and things are moving ahead very aggressively, with the aim of doing the film this year," he said, noting that the movie will be "quite different from Alex Proyas's approach with the original Crow".

Discussing the location for the comic book adaptation, Pressman added: "The setting is the southwest - the Mexico/Arizona area - and an urban [setting], Detroit or Pittsburgh or something like that. There are two locations that the film is set. Its initial platform is in the southwest and then it moves to the big city in the north, middle or eastern America, and then back."

The original Crow, released in 1994, centred on a murdered rock musician who comes back from the dead to seek revenge on his killers. Star Brandon Lee died during filming when he was shot by a blank bullet. Director Proyas completed the movie after the accident as a tribute to him.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the online favourite, even though they have no basis to think that he's in line for the role. I don't think this would be the right role for JGL because it has a 50/50 chance of either bombing or being successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I really hope they don't do a straight remake - the original holds up well, and there are so many more Crow stories from comics/novels that could be adapted. Good news for fans is, I guess, that the franchise has already hit rock bottom so the only way is up.

Nick Cave is writing the script. That's cause enough for optimism after his outstanding work on 'The Proposition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Ah for god sake, why are they remaking this?? its not that old. soon they'll be remaking movies from 00's.

If they do remake it, they need a completely new story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I can't believe they want to remake this. I hate hollywood. I really hate it.

Mackman wrote: »
    Ah for god sake, why are they remaking this?? its not that old. soon they'll be remaking movies from 00's.

If they do remake it, they need a completely new story.

HAHAHAH Sorry man but Spider-Man came out in 2002 and they are rebooting that. Its happening already!!! the day before the day after tomorrow.....thats today!!!!!!

RandyMarsh.jpg

Hope they won't hire a major star - they'll probably only have to kill him during filming.

Hope they won't hire a major star - they'll probably only have to kill him during filming.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

sheehy83 wrote: »
    HAHAHAH Sorry man but Spider-Man came out in 2002 and they are rebooting that. Its happening already!!! the day before the day after tomorrow.....thats today!!!!!!

RandyMarsh.jpg

Pedantic mode enabled.

The day before the day after tomorrow is still tomorrow, not today.

Pedantic mode enabled.

The day before the day after tomorrow is still tomorrow, not today.

Damn, I let Randy down!!! 2 days before the day after tomorrow!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    :eek:

Well how many more people went to see this film/bought it on DVD after hearing that Brandon Lee died during the filming and the subsequent urban legends - it's a great marketing ploy!

Admittedly it was a brilliant movie regardless, but that event probably did help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

If I was a greedy hollywood exec looking to reboot a film about a broody undead goth I'd probably cast Robert Pattinson :pac:

Lets hope it doesnt come to that.

Advertisement