Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do?

• 08-12-2008 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Is there anything to do in Ireland if you're under 18? It seems that everything costs money, and anything you want to do at night is either completely lame (bowling) or completely anti-social (cinema) or completely illegal (drinking in a park). So what do/did you do as a teenager with not that much money?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I stayed at home nearly every weekend because I was unsociable. I could have gone to the cinema more often I guess, but there's no point wasting money to see a crap film just for the sake of having something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Branson Vast Snorer

Watched an awful lot of family guy as far as I can remember.

Bowling's savage though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ugh I hate bowling! (cos I'm so bad at it!). At the moment parties seem to be the way to go, cos loads of my friends are turning 18 this year there is usually one on every week or so. My boyfriend also sometimes brings me to parties. It can be frustrating not being able to go out with friends though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I spent a lot of time freezing my arse off hanging around on the local green when I was about 13/14, then when I got a bit older I wasted a load of money going to the cinema almost every week or went to friend's houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Piste wrote: »
    Is there anything to do in Ireland if you're under 18? It seems that everything costs money, and anything you want to do at night is either completely lame (bowling) or completely anti-social (cinema) or completely illegal (drinking in a park). So what do/did you do as a teenager with not that much money?

Unsociable I presume you meant! :D

Well, as soon as you turn 18 (!) the best way to relieve boredom is to get 5 or 6 friends round to one of your houses, buy 2 or 3 slabs of beer and have a poker night (until it degenerates into watching hilarious but stupid youtube videos!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

hmm best time to learn an instrument or dedicate yourself to something you love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Branson Vast Snorer

Ugh I hate bowling! (cos I'm so bad at it!). At the moment parties seem to be the way to go, cos loads of my friends are turning 18 this year there is usually one on every week or so. My boyfriend also sometimes brings me to parties. It can be frustrating not being able to go out with friends though.

Ya, I have dyxpraxia (well that's my excuse for my clumsiness anyway) so I'm also pretty impressively awful at bowling. I just like the shoes :)
    And, when you do turn 18, the joy of being able to produce a valid, genuine id on request will eclipse all memories of the misery of underage-dom. And in general parties tend to be better craic than nights out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

used to be teen discos on every couple of fridays, which we used to quite enjoy in our early teens, but coming into later teens, there seemed a lot less to do, for the most part, we'd stay in, watch telly/dvds and chat, or hang out down the park have a kick around, or a puck around, or just sit around and chat (though i did hate sitting around, i seem to be an insect magnet).

hmm best time to learn an instrument or dedicate yourself to something you love.

Yeah I play violin and piano and also sing and dedicate timy to my boyfriend who I love to bits, so I guess that's a bit more worthwhile than going ou every weekend.

(unless I could go out clubbing with my boyfriend while playing my violin...)

Yeah I play violin and piano
    I am jealous:o

• Advertisement

Well I only began the violin in September so you really have nothing to be jealous of! I feel sorry for my family listening to me butcher disney songs.

Well I only began the violin in September so you really have nothing to be jealous of! I feel sorry for my family listening to me butcher disney songs.

They are beautiful instruments , after I get an electric guitar(only have beauty of an acoustic at,) and have made a bit more progress on some of my songs ,I will probably take up the piano.

Yeah the piano's not too difficult, like the only way you can really go wrong is play a wrong note/rhythm. With violin, EVERYTHING can go wrong and you sound awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not a thing to do in Ireland, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I played sport!
    Excelled at two in particular. Training most nights, then matches/competitions at weekends around Ireland/abroad. Met alot of people/friends.
    Would encourage all teenagers to get out there and join something!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I played guitar a lot, hung around in friends' houses playing guitar or video games, devoted time to my gf when I had one. Free gafs started happening when I was 16/17, which involved drinking, so I guess that's not really on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Other than drinking? Not a god damn thing, which is a shame. Cinema I guess, though that cost money. We don't have European style cafes or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Going into town and Moaping (No idea how to spell it, but it sounds like that) around the Central Bank, if your of the emo varient.

Sadly my relatively cheerful disposition prevented me from ever going near the place and hearing about the woes of middle to upper class teenage life...........shame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Scientology, it's fun and it's free!

• Advertisement

blubloblu wrote: »
    Scientology, it's free!

All it costs is your SOUL

(and several hundred thousand euros)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

me and my friends we eat
    a lot!

or go on random dart trips
    -dvd nights
    -play pool
    -swimming

cant really think of any other non alchol fuelled things we do

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Yeah the piano's not too difficult, like the only way you can really go wrong is play a wrong note/rhythm. With violin, EVERYTHING can go wrong and you sound awful!

That's very true. Although some of my piano students can be spectacularly awful. They are special in their own way i suppose... *sigh*

I actually can't remember what I did before I was 18. There used to be alot of sunny Saturdays spent in stephen's green with a few friends and a guitar or two which were great fun! Other than that not much. I used to read alot more too which I miss doing.

Now there's either thursday night karaoke or just raid somebody's house with chinese food, chocolate and dvds. Not much has changed tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hey, does nayone have an idea of what there *could* be to do?

im in nz at the moment, and, like back home, most suburban areas (and most urban ones ) in this city have a green patch for playing in. unlike home, however, almost all of them have a playground, public toilets, and quite a lot have a skatepark for skateboards/rollerblades/bmx's.

there's quite a few designated mountain biking tracks, tonnes of cyclists, lots of underage gigs, and quite a few 'mixed' ones... underagers have to wear a wristband or whatever so they wont get served, and they're well strict on ID, but it means that the teens actually have a chance to go out and have fun like the 18year olds, without it all turning into a big drinking issue. there's a much more active, outdoorsy attitude here, and most evenings, you'll see rowers, cyclists, wind,kite and regular surfers out in the water, people seem to be more into finding things to do than back home, and the more people there are interested, obvioulsy, the more people do to accommodate them.

Yeah the underage gigs would be a good idea, pity almost all underage gigs in Dublin are crap emo bands no one's ever heard of. I hate being all nervous going to gigs in case I don't get in, if they could just give wristbands to people over 18 so they could show them to get drink it would solve the problem easily enough.

I hate being all nervous going to gigs in case I don't get in, if they could just give wristbands to people over 18 so they could show them to get drink it would solve the problem easily enough.

Apparently its more to do with insurance, but id say retaining their lisence is an issue too)

The hardcore scene here is pretty decent (that said bands seem to be dropping like flies) and the have all agers most months, check out Demented Promotions if you're into that.

Hardcore eh? Sounds a bit too hardcore for me. I like commercial bands, who unfortunately like to play licensed venues :(

Hardcore eh? Sounds a bit too hardcore for me.

Nothin gets you pumped like a little Walls of Jericho in the morning:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hardcore eh? Sounds a bit too hardcore for me. I like commercial bands, who unfortunately like to play licensed venues :(

same:(

if only they played more all age gigs.same with comedy nights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ye can all come round to my house

come on now, into the van...

Advertisement