Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Referendum - English as the first language of Republic of Ireland

• 06-12-2008 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

1. The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.
    2. The English language is recognised as a second official language.
    This referendum asks the people of the Boards Republic if they wish to demote the Irish language and promote the English language as the first national language of the Republic. Please vote sensibly.

Which lingo? 425 votes

YES - Change the consitution - English is the first national language of Ireland
    0% 0 votes
    NO - Do not change the constitution - Irish is the first national language of Ireland
    40% 173 votes
    NEITHER - Post your answer below.
    59% 252 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,525 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

¿Qué pasa?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I hope Tir na nÓg or whatever they call themselves still have those stupid "collins, pearse and plunkett would be spinning in their graves" posters lying around. They actually might have some relevance to this referendum unlike the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Do máithair Op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I would say keep the status quo and keep both Languages official. I would put emphasis on stopping the waste where everything is translated into Irish and speaking it is a licence to get into a lazy comfy state public job. It should however be kept as a requirement for all TD's, Gardai and important position within the state, however your average pencil pusher does not need it.

• I'll get the popcorn! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

why bother? a referendum costs millions and in practice won't change anything. we're in a freaking recession.

but if ya really want to achieve something, ban irish. that way every 10 year old toe rag will make it their business to learn it themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

/me clears the blast radius.

This won't end well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Do máithair Op?

An bhfuil do mháithair ar fáil faoi láthair? :)

towel401 wrote: »
    why bother? a referendum costs millions and in practice won't change anything. we're in a freaking recession.

Fáilte go Internet - this is mostly free. So.. there is actually no charge to hold a referendum here. :eek:

Fáilte go Internet - this is mostly free. So.. there is actually no charge to hold a referendum here. :eek:

idirlíon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I don't don't know what a tracker thingy is in gaelic:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Remember you will have to keep voting until we get the result we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Something's wrong with my display - everything's gone gibberish. If a hefty tap doesn't sort it, I'll have to re-install Windows. :eek:

javaboy wrote: »
    idirlíon :)

Ah! Maith an fear. :)

Jaysus though, I expect a bit of a spa-ZAM over this "Referendum" for the next post or 80.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I don't don't know what a tracker thingy is in gaelic:rolleyes:

http://www.irishdictionary.ie/home

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Where's this constitution of the boards republic? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Suimiúil!

tenner bets that this turns into a hideous debate- as ususal!

Looks like most of you are wanting an English only Republic. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Irish Constitution is amazing as a document in that it is as relevent today as it was in 1937 with only 27 amendments since. Testament to the people who drafted it.

As regards the language issue; it's largely irrelevant which language takes precedence and the only situation I can think of where there is conflict is regards the age limit of the President. Its really 36 and not 35 as if there is conflict between the Irish and English texts of the Bunreacht, the Irish will always take precedence.

Tbh OP I'll give you an AH response here; I don't think most people give a fuck.

• Advertisement

• Looks like most of you are wanting an English only Republic. :(

Not at all, just how often do you actually hear/use Irish in the "wild".

cson wrote: »
    Tbh OP I'll give you an AH response here; I don't think most people give a fuck.

Fíor, a mhac, ach tá mé ag déanamh rud éigin faoi sin.

The Irish Constitution is amazing as a document in that it is as relevent today as it was in 1937 with only 27 amendments since. Testament to the people who drafted it.

And what, that's supposed to be good is it? If I made 27 mistakes on a test, I'd be failed.

And it's still not finished! Plus it's getting in the way of the NWO's plans for world domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I don't really care either way, doubt it would make any difference to my life though, apart from the very likely situation of pro Gaelgie hippy folk flooding our streets with annoying protests and the like.

Bullsh!t, that's testament to nothing other than there's been 27 amendments. The amount of problems in the constitution are legion, its nowhere near a complete document, nor should we be celebrating Dev and his beloved Bishop for drafting such a conservative, backward stepping piece of literature, designed with the sole purpose of giving himself (Dev) as much power as possible in his then current position as Taoiseach!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Fíor, a mhac, ach tá mé ag déanamh rud éigin faoi sin.
    Did you get a grant from Eamonn O'Cuiv for that? Because I'm pretty sure there's one available and a job for life in one of his translation gulags.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

javaboy wrote: »
    And what, that's supposed to be good is it? If I made 27 mistakes on a test, I'd be failed.

And it's still not finished! Plus it's getting in the way of the NWO's plans for world domination.

The Constitution is a test now is it? I'll happily take you to Politics and debate the merits of it with you. :)

Otherwise, seeing as this is AH;

http://bifsniff.com/wp-content/files/2007/02/mail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

What's the point of running this referendum. If the vote is No you'll just keep running it until you get the yes vote.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

That our constitution is amended once every 2.6 years is a source of pride to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

in reality its the first language in principle we should keep irish as the first language

Advertisement