Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Russia - Looking backwards.

Options
  • 17-08-2008 11:21am
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the recent war in Georgia, and Russian Remarks about the US Planned Missile Defence system.

Is Russia Looking for another cold war.

Russia Testing Uk Radar defences.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Thought I'd post this here from the Conspiracy forum,

Kursk - A sub in troubled waters

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3601018731467852276

interestin docco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

With the recent war in Georgia, and Russian Remarks about the US Planned Missile Defence system.

Is Russia Looking for another cold war.

I think, for once, that Russia is not the belligerant here. She is being forced into a corner due to America developing her completely ineffectual missile shield. However despite the fact that the missile shield can never defend the USA against submarine launched nukes, for example, it does look as if she is sabre rattling. Basically you cannot have world peace when the only super power of note is invulnerable to all but conventional warfare.

Tbh the only reason that we never had a Third World War (and there were some pretty close calls) was because of MAD. However America is now trying to negate her vulnerability to this while exhorting Russia's satrapies to declare independence further weakening the Kremlin.

Now while I couldn't support Russia's actions in Georgia I can totally understand them. Russia needs to flex her might to ensure that other peoples flirting with independence remember that no matter how decayed her armed forces might be she still deludes herself that she's a super power. They have definitely proved that America's assurances of support are so much hot air and because of this their incursion must be looked at as a success.

Also, quite frankly, if Poland, the UK, et al agree to have radar bases established on their territories to help America defend herself from ICBM attack they cannot really complain when Russia targets them. They must be considered legitimate targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Yep basically agree with you Dinter as regards the U.S. missile defence system.Russia actually offered to the americans use of a early warning centre in Azerbaijan but the U.S. declined.They may offer the excuse that there are only a limited number of intercepter missiles being placed but after the infastructure is in place the numbers can be rapidly increased.Combine this with anti missile sites in Alaska and I am glad the Russian federation is placing missiles in Kalingrad as it at least keeps the MAD scenario in place with although depressing keeps people acting cautiously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

She is being forced into a corner due to America developing her completely ineffectual missile shield.

<snip>

Basically you cannot have world peace when the only super power of note is invulnerable to all but conventional warfare/

Well, I guess it's fortunate then that the missile shield is completely ineffectual.

It's a matter of degree. The Russians need not be concerned by the missile shield given that it can't stop a Russian attack. It's only effective against smaller attacks, and to that extent, it's generally a lot more uncontroversial. Even the Japanese have the capability of shooting down the odd ballistic missile before re-entry, but the Chinese aren't going ape over it as they know it really is only effective against North Korea.
    However despite the fact that the missile shield can never defend the USA against submarine launched nukes, for example, it does look as if she is sabre rattling.

So if emplacing an ineffective system is sabre rattling against Russia, what does placing very effective systems against Poland/Baltic countries constitute?
    Also, quite frankly, if Poland, the UK, et al agree to have radar bases established on their territories to help America defend herself from ICBM attack they cannot really complain when Russia targets them

With interceptors located in Poland, they protect Europe from attack, not the US. You will note that the Western US is protected by systems in Alaska and California, not Hawaii and Japan.

The Gabala offer was a bit more complex.
    http://www.caucaz.com/home_eng/breve_contenu.php?id=325

NTM

The last I heard the Russian president was stating that changes to the project might please Moscow rather than the complete abandonment.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7731864.stm
    Still it will be interesting to see what happens under the Obama administration.Also thanks for the link Manic Moran the website has some
    interesting articles.

• Advertisement

just started a thread in the main forum about the real lord of war Victor Bout
    does anyone think he worked for the russian govt? I mean Putin is ex KGB and he was supplying helicopter gunships FFs - he had 6 billion of assets frozen

I reckon Russia is up to no good

Personally I think he didn't work for the Russian Government but he definately had contacts inside it and in particular in the intelligence services.Also he accumulated large amounts of his aircraft in the early
    90's when large tracts of the former east bloc were extremlly corrrupt and
    desperate for cash.Merchant Of Death by Douglas Farah and Stephen Braun is an interesting read if your interested in reading more blindjustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fantom

Look lads just take it easy.
    Don't be following those media. Open your eyes. Time is changed
    Ur better visit Russia sometimes and do somethink like this. Ur will never get it in States

http://gototheedge.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/the-video/

Well, I guess it's fortunate then that the missile shield is completely ineffectual.

It's a matter of degree. The Russians need not be concerned by the missile shield given that it can't stop a Russian attack. It's only effective against smaller attacks, and to that extent, it's generally a lot more uncontroversial. Even the Japanese have the capability of shooting down the odd ballistic missile before re-entry, but the Chinese aren't going ape over it as they know it really is only effective against North Korea.

So if emplacing an ineffective system is sabre rattling against Russia, what does placing very effective systems against Poland/Baltic countries constitute?

With interceptors located in Poland, they protect Europe from attack, not the US. You will note that the Western US is protected by systems in Alaska and California, not Hawaii and Japan.

The Gabala offer was a bit more complex.
    http://www.caucaz.com/home_eng/breve_contenu.php?id=325

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fantom

Fantom wrote: »
    Look lads just take it easy.
    Don't be following those media. Open your eyes. Time is changed
    Ur better visit Russia sometimes and do somethink like this. Ur will never get it in States

http://gototheedge.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/the-video/

This information is open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u03GNcL4NFA

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

Build Missile Defense System Arround Russia - Check
    Get all former Russian Conferation States into Nato - Check
    Force Russian forces to defend Russians Civilians in Georgia - Check

You can't blame the Russians for been a bit on edge there been encirlced, Imagine if someone did all that to America. Canada & Mexico in the Warsaw Pact for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement