Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ebay Car Buying - Help Needed Please

• 20-11-2008 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am relatively inexperienced with buying through Ebay and have not bought anything for more than three figures before hence this thread....

I found a car in the Uk in a trade advert which is up for auction, the auction finishes today.
    The car ideally suits what I'm looking for and I've done plenty of research
    into the seller via ebay and the car and everything seems to be above board.

I put in a bid a few days ago which has since been surpassed.

I am just wondering what is the best method in trying to win the auction?

I have a budget and so far the auction is below it by almost a grand or so.

Should I hope for the best and try and leave it as late as possible to win the auction or should I just match any other bids in the meantime (I'm currently losing) and hope it doesn't go above what I'm willing to pay?

I've heard of things like 'sniper programmes' whereby someone can download software which helps them to be the last bidder.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

The way I do it..

Make an early bid to make sure that i can bid - some auctions are UK only bidders.

Then wait until the last 5 minutes and start watching the auction intently.

Have 1 window open with my maximum bid + about £23.13 or something - I've won auctions by 1p before. Have this window on the "confirm bid screen" so all you have to do is make that final click.

Then refresh the auction every 30seconds or so to see how it's doing. In the last 10 seconds, press that button and pray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

commited wrote: »
    The way I do it..

Make an early bid to make sure that i can bid - some auctions are UK only bidders.

Have 1 window open with my maximum bid + about £23.13 or something - I've won auctions by 1p before. Have this window on the "confirm bid screen" so all you have to do is make that final click.

Then refresh the auction every 30seconds or so to see how it's doing. In the last 10 seconds, press that button and pray.

Thank you.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there are plenty of services out there that will do all this for you, trying to do it manually yourself is not the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

copacetic wrote: »
    there are plenty of services out there that will do all this for you, trying to do it manually yourself is not the way to go.

Do you have any details on these services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

AudiChris wrote: »
    Oh thanks, did not know about this
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Actually I think manually is the way to go.
    Most of these services involve either downloading an application, or giving your ebay login details to a 3rd party website.
    Useful if you're busy with work or something & can't be infront of a PC when the auction ends.

Just a few hours left, I wonder would it be madness to go up by
    a few hundred with about ten minutes to go or am i giving the competition
    too much time to react?

I was thinking by jumping that much, (which is about half of what I'm willing to jump again after that to my full budget) that it might be enough to scare off the other potential buyer who is currently winning the auction.

Any other tips appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

All the action is in the last minute or two. 10 minutes is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

why not use the bid by proxy option where
    you put in the max amount that you are
    willing to go and then ebay bids on your behalf.
    this also stops you from getting caught up in
    the frenzy of the last minutes of an auction
    when you can end up spending more than
    you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

commited wrote: »
    The way I do it..

I'd second this, but maybe give it 20 seconds rather than 10. Also, make sure you're logged in to eBay.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

dardevle wrote: »
    you wanted.

That's the way I do it anyhow. If you don't know how much something is worth to you then don't get involved in auctions.

dardevle wrote: »
    you wanted.

Does this mean that you can only lose if your rival bidder does not better
    the max you're willing to pay?

How do I access that option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

With 10 secs to go - put in your highest bid . This worked for me

Barr wrote: »

I'll try!

Knowing my luck my internet will time out, there'll be a power cut / surge
    or my pc will go up on fire at that precise moment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I tend to use the maximum bid method aswell. I have one window open watching the auction, and another with my maximum bid entered, and the 'confirm bid' button ready to press. Decide your maximum bid and stick to it though..

Also, it might be worth giving the seller a call (might be a bit late now), if you haven't already, just to confirm things like, are they happy to sell to an overseas buyer, and see if there's anything wrong with the car that's not listed. Often they can email more pics on request also..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭Barr

oddone wrote: »
    I'll try!

Knowing my luck my internet will time out, there'll be a power cut / surge
    or my pc will go up on fire at that precise moment! :D

Just practice it a few times when the bid is very low , Its gives a great rush when you win in the last 10 seconds .I think their referred to as ebay snipers :)

Just practice it a few times when the bid is very low , Its gives a great rush when you win in the last 10 seconds .I think their referred to as ebay snipers :)

It all ends quite soon. As it stands I'm 'losing' but waiting to pounce lol.

When it comes down to the last few minutes should
    I stick my maximum (total budget) in the ''your maximum bid:"
    box or just keep topping up the rival bids (if any).

If I enter my total in the max bid does that mean it will automatically
    take that as my final bid and I will pay that amount even if say I only
    a lesser amount to win?

It all ends quite soon. As it stands I'm 'losing' but waiting to pounce lol.

When it comes down to the last few minutes should
    I stick my maximum (total budget) in the ''your maximum bid:"
    box or just keep topping up the rival bids (if any).

If I enter my total in the max bid does that mean it will automatically
    take that as my final bid and I will pay that amount even if say I only
    a lesser amount to win?
    Put your maximum figure in, ebay will automatically bid for you up to that figure. You need to do it late enough that nobody else will have time to bid again, ie 15-20 seconds before the end. As I said before, though, make sure you're logged in - you do not want to be asked for your username & password with 10 seconds to go. F5 is your friend.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

As long as you don't have dial up!:D

• Advertisement

Scottie99 wrote: »
    As long as you don't have dial up!:D

I'm not lying when I say it came down to quite literally the last 5 to ten seconds it can't have been much more and it was tit-for-tat.

But I won!!! :D

Only thing is I paid a little more than I wanted to but it's still ridiculously
    good value and a lovely machine.

Not sure I want it now, though...

Just kidding. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'm not lying when I say it came down to quite literally the last 5 to ten seconds it can't have been much more and it was tit-for-tat.

Lets see what you bid for? (link)

Congrats! Don't forget to HPI it - call them and tell them you want an RAC check; it's the same thing and it only costs £5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Did you go to view the car and take it for a test drive before the auction ended?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Did you go to view the car and take it for a test drive before the auction ended?

Nope but I will be. ^ And thanks for all the replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

what kinda car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've been using auctionsniper for several years and the only time I ever lose an ebay auction is if the bidding goes past my maximum bid. It's never let me down in last minute bidding within my budget and I've won every time. :)

some people might call it cheating, but I wouldn't want to be going up against someone and lose because they were using the service. it's been going for several years now so if it was against ebay's t&c they'd have stopped it by now.

basically you sign up with them, give them your ebay account user/pass details and put in the auction number and your maximum bid and it'll put in your bid in the last second of the auction so you pretty much can't lose.

it's not 100% free but you get a few free snipes before they ask you for money (you can pay via paypal) and as well as being very cheap, if you refer a few mates and they sign up they give you some free snipes, so everybody wins.

you can sign up for free and get a couple of free goes to see how you like it and there's no obligation to give them any money if you decide not to keep using it.

if you decide you want to sign up for it, feel free to get me a few free snipes by adding me as your referrer (ebay username: thatbigfella) and I'll be very grateful, but if you don't want to then don't feel obliged I don't want to seem like I'm pimping it. :)

Advertisement