Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free CAD software

• 01-04-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've got a project due and need to produce some CAD drawings for it- not too fancy, just a pictorial representation of few objects etc etc. I'm aware that my college (TCD) can/will supply licensed software for students, but I could be working on 5+ different computers every week so ideally I'd like to find a free CAD program. I tried searching my self, but I was lost amongst the plethora of trial versions available for every kind of CAD project under the sun. So does anybody have a personal favourite they would care to recommend?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

C.D. wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've got a project due and need to produce some CAD drawings for it- not too fancy, just a pictorial representation of few objects etc etc. I'm aware that my college (TCD) can/will supply licensed software for students, but I could be working on 5+ different computers every week so ideally I'd like to find a free CAD program. I tried searching my self, but I was lost amongst the plethora of trial versions available for every kind of CAD project under the sun. So does anybody have a personal favourite they would care to recommend?

Thanks,

The red brick building has CAD installed on all the computers up there. They are free alot of the time as well.

I dont know any free cad packages out there so the red brick building is probably a good start

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

student i cant afford to drop a few grand on a computer programme. Worth a shot if your conscience wont bother you!

Thats why your college provides you with the software

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

kearnsr wrote: »
    The red brick building has CAD installed on all the computers up there. They are free alot of the time as well.

I dont know any free cad packages out there so the red brick building is probably a good start

Yeah so do all the computers in the Parsons building! Unfortunately I'm a little strange in that I find I am most productive post 12PM! I usually end up working on my laptop or on a PC in an abandoned office (employer) so you see I need something I can install/uninstall at at will! It does not have to be full blown CAD, I just need to be able to do basic drawings. Looks like I'm gonna very handy in Fireworks :D

Thanks for the replies though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

isnt there a decent freeware or trial of solidworks? would that work?

Yeah so do all the computers in the Parsons building! Unfortunately I'm a little strange in that I find I am most productive post 12PM! I usually end up working on my laptop or on a PC in an abandoned office (employer) so you see I need something I can install/uninstall at at will! It does not have to be full blown CAD, I just need to be able to do basic drawings. Looks like I'm gonna very handy in Fireworks :D

There was a link in one of the boards banners that had a link to free AutoCad Software that I just remembered about. I think I followed the link but it didnt bring me anywhere fast so I gave up.

Check the banners

or the AutoCad website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would you use Fireworks when you can get a CAD Freeware or at least a technical illustration package of Magazine cover CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It does not have to be full blown CAD, I just need to be able to do basic drawings. Looks like I'm gonna very handy in Fireworks :D

Google SketchUp?

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Conor108 wrote: »

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

Absolutely perfect. Thanks guys!

I have been using it for the last 2 hours or so- and I have to say I'm impressed, it is very very intuitive and easy to use, and the option to export as png,jpg etc.. fantastic!

Again, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

The best by far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Take a look at Progecad 2008 Smart!. It is based on Intellicad and if you can use Autocad, you can use Progecad will little effort.

It is also free for non commercial use. As you are a student, that covers you!

http://www.progecad.com/compra/index.asp?left=progecad2008smart&lang=eng

MJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

there is actually a student version of autoCAD available.
    We had a project to do in first year engineering (TCD) las year.

Its available here: http://students2.autodesk.com/?lbon=1
    :D

Advertisement