Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

• 03-11-2008 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a crisp November morning, with the sun shining and little wind. A perfect morning to start a new challenge, so today I embark on the Boards AC Aware 10K challenge.

This time last week, I was running up O'Connell Street, in hot pursuit of a pink fairy, a viking and a pint of Guinness. Now, all that's left of the marathon is a medal, a t-shirt, some mild shin pain, and the unanswered question of how much quicker I could have run on the day, had I really pushed myself.

I ran my last 10k race three weeks before the marathon, in the lovely Donadea forest, in a time of 43:07, at the peak of my marathon fitness, (having completed Longford marathon 5 weeks previously), so I'm hoping that 10k specific training (speed-work), will allow me to shave off some vital seconds.

Having spent the last 6-7 months in marathon training (for two marathons), I must confess to being a little nervous about embarking on a dedicated 10k program. What I enjoy about running is getting out there and doing big mileage, with friends or on my own, so the idea of training for 30-40 minute sections isn't terribly appealing (yet).

I had been planning to do the Connemara half again this year, in training for the Edinburgh marathon in May (and because it's such a nice course), but a friend has asked me to consider doing the Full Connemara marathon with him, which would mean kicking off that training in early December. So my greatest risk is not falling off the training band-wagon, but instead falling back into long distance training once more. This would also mean completing three marathons next year (potentially four), where I had only planned on completing two.

Anyway, marathons are for tomorrow, and 10k training is for today. So, out into that crisp sunshine, for 3 miles at aerobic pace. Wish me luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You don't need luck! Just atke it nice and easy and you'll really enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Nice of you to join us krusty and welcome. I'll look forward to reading this log, as I do all the other logs as they help keep me motivated, best of luck with your 10k training.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, went out and completed my 3 miles, albeit, a little too fast.
    Overall pace was 4:33/km (where planned race pace is around 4:10/km). I have been plagued with poor self-discipline. Next time I will leave the music at home, so I can focus more on what I'm doing. I reckon easy runs should be 5:00/km and Aerobic runs around 4:40/km.

On the other hand, it felt great to get out (I love my post-breakfast runs :eek:). Football tonight, but will take it handy. First game in 8+ weeks. Rest day tomorrow, so will do some weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Went out yesterday for my first run in a couple of months. Did six miles in 45 mins which was too far too fast. The hangover didn't help but I find it hard to get suited up, cycle to my starting point, do my stretches and not do a decent run. Anyhoo, I've ordered a Garmin 405 to put some discipline on my training. Nothing tonight as the calfs are a bit sore.

Looking forward to getting a BAC t-shirt/singlet to advertise my new favourite club out there.

Covered another 4 miles on the astro pitch and I now have the usual aches and pains associated with playing footie. Arrived at the pitch too late to warm-up properly, which doesn't help. I genuinely feel worse after completing a 90 minute football match (friendly game, teams selected on the day) than I do after running a marathon. At least when you run a marathon you know where to expect the aches and pains.

When I play football, I discover muscles that I previously didn't know existed. Lower back (jumping), groin (turning) shins (stopping), and hands (who knows?!).

Forerunner view of my football (we were only playing two thirds of the pitch, but I'm obviously not spending enough time on the wings. :D)

footie.jpg

Training-wise, it's a day off today, so I fully intend to take advantage of it. Will ice my shin, as it's slightly swollen after yesterdays activity.

• Advertisement

Anyhoo, I've ordered a Garmin 405 to put some discipline on my training. Nothing tonight as the calfs are a bit sore.

Looking forward to getting a BAC t-shirt/singlet to advertise my new favourite club out there.
    Unfortunately, my 405 doesn't really give me discipline! It's just something else to ignore when I want to run faster! My problem is that I can head out the door (I don't have to travel very far) for an easy run, stretch, jog for the first 100 metres, pick up speed until I'm going way too fast, and then change my mind and do a fast run. The problem is that I know it comes at a cost, when doing a formal training program, as I wont be as prepared as I should be for the speed-work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I found that myself, buyt getting better and more controled, if i find i'm starting to run too fast on an easy run i slow down to almost a walk to break it up and start again, I find it works for me.
    When you walk out the door think to yourself "What is the aim of this session" that also works for me and keeps focus on your training plan.

Shin was still a little sore, from Marathon / footie, so have re-jigged the schedule to take another day of rest today. So will do 5 miles easy tomorrow, and 4 miles aerobic on Friday. Instead, I did the Hal Higdon (Higdon for President!) strength exercises and followed a few other poster's examples and donated blood, which was as painless as ever (and a great way to lose a pound or two, in 15 minutes <joke>).

Also, I reckon the results on the Dublin City Marathon are pretty final at this stage, so I took a look at my overall placing. Finished in the top 10.1%, so just outside my (non-serious) target. I also was only the second person home with my surname, having been beaten by 2 mins and 12 seconds. I knew I shouldn't have stopped for that nature break.. Should've just gone in my shorts, like all the real athletes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hee Hee your forerunner pic made me laugh:D

Bally8 wrote: »
    Hee Hee your forerunner pic made me laugh:D
    Can't wait to bring it skiing in January!

• Advertisement

Did 4 miles with a friend at their pace (an easy 5:54/km), so decided to head back out and do another 2 miles afterwards, at 4:35/km. Lovely weather. Really enjoyed it... Back to running.. Happy days...

HH's strength training this morning, followed by 4 miles at 'aerobic pace'.
    Actual pace was 4:38/km, with some of it running into a nasty wind.

So I'm back up to date with the BAC sub 45 min. 10k training plan.

Easy 10 miles planned for Sunday, (so a little more than scheduled (4 Easy miles)), but I really enjoy my long runs, so I might skip Monday's 4 mile Aerobic run, and stick to the footie. Realistically, I'll probably do both. I've a lot of time on my hands these days, and am only really satisfied after doing a decent workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Hey Krusty,

firstly, fair play to you, you've had a great running year so far. You say you did Donadea 10k in 43.XX, what are you hoping for the Aware 10k? The reason I ask, is that you've about 5 weeks training left, you'd be looking at closer to 40mins I'd imagine? Best of luck.

Thanks donothoponpop. 4 weeks training left, as of today..
    The plan is to run sub 42 mins, so 41 mins and change. I'd love to aim for sub 40, but I reckon 4/5 weeks training (post-marathon) is probably not enough.

I've also signed up for Connemara marathon, which is more of a support-a-friend race, and then am hoping to get a Boston qualification time (3:15) in Edinburgh at the end of May. Then on to Berlin in September. The marathons (ok, I've only done two) is really where I see myself (get most enjoyment out of the training/racing/accomplishment), but I reckon it's good to break the cycle every once in a while.

I also did two IMRAs last year, and am hoping to do a lot more next year. Great fun!

10 Miles today, over the hills of Carrigologan. Ran with a friend, which was great, as it kept my pace to an easy 5:44/km. Average heart rate at the end was 136, which is huge progress for me, from hilly routes a few months back.

The weather was appalling, but that just added to the overall experience. I think when you can enjoy running in bad weather, it really helps with the training motivation. Great to see other runners up around the hills too, which was a first, as these hills are normally reserved for me, and the braver dog-walkers.

So, training week #1 completed. A total of 23 miles (plus another 4 on the football pitch). Feeling good, except for my left shin, which serves as a pretty constant reminder of two recent marathons. Think it's time to go see the physio, but have a feeling they'll just recommend a couple of weeks rest, which will put a premature end to any 10k plans.

4.5 miles this morning @4:48/km and HR @145bpm (76%).

Anyone have any guidelines on calculating Aerobic pace (apart from somewhere between Lactic threshold and recovery pace)? I found this page which suggests (in pace/mile):

Brisk Pace: 10k race pace + 1 min (or 5k race pace + 1 min, 15 sec).
    Base Pace: 10k race pace + 1 1/2 min (or 5k race pace + 1 min, 45 sec).
    Easy pace: 10k race pace + 2 min (or 5k race pace + 2 min, 15 sec).

However, this would put me at 8:30/mile for base pace (instead of today's 7:44). Anyone any thoughts?

Football later...

Football last night for around 90 mins.. A few pints afterwards, so was feeling lazy this morning, but still managed an hour of strength training, followed by an easy 3 miles. Quite a few aches and pains now (that I associate with the football). So finally did an easy run at easy pace, but only because that's all my body would allow me. 5:22/km.

Supposed to be a rest day, but the draw of the sunshine was too great. Went for a hike/run with a buddy from Crone Wood to Roundwood (12 miles). Muscles and aches feel a little better.

2 Miles at planned race pace tomorrow, but will wait to see how I feel. Also doing 4.5 miles at easy pace with another buddy tomorrow. So might swap them around and do the easy run tomorrow, and PRP on Friday.

5 Miles with a buddy this evening, at a very easy pace (average HR 120).
    Going to push it tomorrow, and do a couple of miles at planned race pace. Don't really know what to expect in terms of HR/effort, as it's the fastest I will have run, for a mile or more, since....well....ever.... So it should be my 1 mile personal best!

Thankfully, shin pain is almost a mere memory, so just hoping that tomorrow's session won't bring it all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

4.5 miles this morning @4:48/km and HR @145bpm (76%).

Anyone have any guidelines on calculating Aerobic pace (apart from somewhere between Lactic threshold and recovery pace)? I found this page which suggests (in pace/mile):

Brisk Pace: 10k race pace + 1 min (or 5k race pace + 1 min, 15 sec).
    Base Pace: 10k race pace + 1 1/2 min (or 5k race pace + 1 min, 45 sec).
    Easy pace: 10k race pace + 2 min (or 5k race pace + 2 min, 15 sec).

However, this would put me at 8:30/mile for base pace (instead of today's 7:44). Anyone any thoughts?..

These seem pretty accurate to me, although I guess the +1min or whatever is very dependent on the level you're running at (i.e. +1 1/2 min is a big difference if your 10k pace is around the 6:15 mark, but not so much of a difference if you're around the 8:00 mark). The source you've given is a pretty reliable one - jim2 is a very prolific poster on the RunnersWorld (US) website, and certainly knows his stuff.

I find base pace is always a little on the conservative side.

An alternative source is McMillan calculator which will provide indicative paces for recovery, long and easy runs...as well as various stamina and speed sessions.

• Advertisement

Thanks Peckham. Do you think McMillan's 'Steady-state run' would be the equivalent of a typical aerobic workout?

Strength training, followed by 3.5 Miles, with 2 x Planned Race Pace.

Mile 1 - Warmup - 8:22 - HR 140
    Mile 2 - 2 x PRP - 6:30 - HR 159
    Mile 3 - 2 x PRP - 6:21 - HR 169
    Mile 3.5 - Warm-down

Phew, was wrecked after the second mile, so obviously went too fast. Target time for the 10k is 41 minutes and change (having previously managed a 43 minute 10k), which is an average pace of 6:35/mile. But at this early stage, it looks like it may be a bridge too far. I'll keep going, and try to manage my pace better, and re-evaluate every week. I don't want to burn out half way through the race.

It has been a moderately heavy mileage week so far (31 miles, not including Sunday's 10 mile hill run), and no rest day, so it's probably taking its toll. Going for a hike tomorrow (no running), so will probably skip Sunday's 5 easy miles and take it as a rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Peckham

Thanks Peckham. Do you think McMillan's 'Steady-state run' would be the equivalent of a typical aerobic workout?

Personally I'd run a little slower that his "Steady State run" for a bog-standard getting-in-the-miles type run. For those type of runs I'd generally run at the faster end of his "Easy run" pace. Steady state run would be a tough enough session (i.e. just faster than marathon pace)

Saturday: 5 mile hike from Lough Bray (spelling?) up towards Kippure and back along the road. No running, but the trail was far too boggy for running anyway.

Sunday: 2 Hours Xbox. :)

Monday: 1 Hour HH strength training, followed by 5 Mile horrendous hill run. I have a love/hate relationship with this hill:
    QuarryRoad.jpg
    It's very painful going up, but always a triumphant Rocky moment when you reach the top (after you manage to avoid the compulsion to vomit). Managed a couple of miles at race pace (albeit, hill assisted (but into the wind!)). Toital time: 37mins 50. Football later..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Sunday: 2 Hours Xbox. :)

Did you hydrate yourself properly for this session ;)

BTW, you did 3'22 for the DM so I'll bet you'll hit 41'+ for the 10k. Your times in general for running seem to be similar to mine, only a tad quicker! This is why I know you'll do it!

MCOS wrote: »
    Did you hydrate yourself properly for this session ;)

BTW, you did 3'22 for the DM so I'll bet you'll hit 41'+ for the 10k. Your times in general for running seem to be similar to mine, only a tad quicker! This is why I know you'll do it!
    I took a number of breaks for beer and crisps. :) Last week I covered around 70kms, expended 5,500 calories and a couple of weights sessions, so some indulgence is allowed!

Thanks for the comments. Pressure is definitely on now. I did a couple of miles today at race pace, but struggled to maintain the speed, but I'm hoping a couple more weeks of training with speed-work, and more xbox will reap dividends. How's your 10k time MCOS?

Oh, and covered another 6km on the football pitch. I imagine all of the stop start sprinting of football must be advantageous for improving speed. Kind of like 85 mins of fartleks.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Nice blog Krusty ;)

We must go for a run before this 10k aware as I reckon we'll cross the line together going by the time you want to do.

We can work through the race together if you want. Not sure it'll disrupt your rhythm thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Never run a 10k race so no official time to go by. I have a 7 mile loop at home though and there is a road sign smack on the 10k point on the loop. Best time through that mark is 41'45"

• Advertisement

keith123 wrote: »
    Nice blog Krusty ;)

We must go for a run before this 10k aware as I reckon we'll cross the line together going by the time you want to do.

We can work through the race together if you want. Not sure it'll disrupt your rhythm thou.
    Hi Keith123, after that disastrous half-marathon in the park, I'm not sure that it's such a good idea. :)
    I prefer to see you about 200 metres before the finish line, as it'll give me the impetus for one last push. :D
    But seriously, give me a shout, and we'll go for a run..

Advertisement