Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[US] DollHouse [** Spoilers **] (Renewed!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Eliza looks "teh sex" in that.. yummy! :eek:

But after seeing the trailer, does it remind anyone else slightly of 'My Own Worst Enemy'? The new drama starring Christian Slater, currently airing on NBC.

Still, very much looking forward to this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'm also really looking forward to this to put it midly Joss is fairly good at TV shows so I hope this gets a good one, Nice to see Fred from angel with a bit of work,

Wait for the Cameos from Mal and other members from Firefly/Buffyverse.

Hope its good cant wait the ad yet cause in work and big brother is watching :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

basquille wrote: »
    does it remind anyone else slightly of 'My Own Worst Enemy'?

Yep, very much in fact, the core idea seems similar, though "Dollhouse" seems to deal more with a team, rather than focusing on one agent (though the trailer was all about Eliza...).

Still, I'm very much looking forward to this and hope it lasts, rather than go the way of Firefly (sniff...). I'm quite enjoying "My Own Worst Enemy" but apparently it is tanking in the ratings and could be canned soon - so that could be bad news for "Dollhouse", if it initially seems similar to the US audience (maybe they should include some kind of dancing contest in the pilot to boost ratings... :P).

I thought that Dollhouse had already been cancelled? Or was that J.J Abrahm's new show?

Neither have been cancelled.. JJ Abram's new show is 'Fringe' and in no real fear of cancellation I'd imagine.

Dollhouse was pushed back to January.. as it was originally going to air in September. Maybe that's where you're getting confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm really looking forward to this too.

Is the woman in the trailer that says "Nothing is as it seems to be", the same as the one who played the evil watcher in buffy (trying to get some glove).

I thought that Dollhouse had already been cancelled? Or was that J.J Abrahm's new show?

Both Fringe and Dollhouse had shut down production for scripts to be reworked/improved on...

Fringe returns this Wednesday in the US and has already been given a full season (22?) pickup by the network. I'm hoping Dollhouse will fare as well too but it is a Joss Whedon show on FOX...

Oh God.. Fox has given it the infamous "Friday Night Death Slot!" :(

Other Sci-fi shows cancelled in Fox’s Friday Death Slot:
    The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (1993)
    MANTIS (1994)
    Strange Luck (1995)
    Sliders (1996)
    Millennium (1996)
    The Visitor (1997)
    Harsh Realm (1999)
    Freakylinks (2000)
    Dark Angel (2000)
    The Lone Gunmen (2001)
    John Doe (2003)
    Firefly (2003)

It will have it's premiere on Friday the 13th of February 2009... any more bad omens?! :D

Yep, just noticed the other thread - damn you, FOX! I'd say the show doesn't have a chance in hell now. Not only is it in the Friday night death-slot, it has Terminator: SCC as its' lead-in, which even though I enjoy as a show, has performed pretty poorly ratings-wise (and is probably being moved to Fridays so it can be killed off along with "Dollhouse")...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Both Sliders and Millennium got a good few seasons under their belts before they ended, so maybe it isnt all bad. Still, it might take just one more of his shows to be cancelled before Joss finally learns his lesson of associating with Fox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Just a thought I had but surely the "friday night death slot" shouldn't really apply anymore like it did in the late 90's early 00's since alot of people in the states not how TEVO (American sky plus don't know spelling).

I could be wrong now, Anyway i'm looking forward to it! as for the rest of the stuff on fox I wouldn't wash my balls with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

TIVO is more common, but doesn't really count for much, ziedth. Like Sky+, you can skip past the ads. They are more interested in live ad revenue, which (if people use TIVO) they aren't going to make much from.

The ratings are also still calculated using the retarded Nielsen system, which only represents a small amount of the population (which is fascinated by dumb reality shows it seems) and does not take into account TiVo, any other sort of DVR, online streaming like Hulu, Amazon and digital downloads from iTunes, etc. And because of the way ratings are calculated, Friday night is still a death slot.

Mr E wrote: »
    TIVO is more common, but doesn't really count for much, ziedth. Like Sky+, you can skip past the ads. They are more interested in live ad revenue, which (if people use TIVO) they aren't going to make much from.

I see I didn't think of it like that, I stand corrected and the system seems to be deeply flawed.

it really is a Pity cause JW deserves a good run for one of his shows like he had with Buffy but didn't really have with Angel/Firefly.

Angel had a good 5 year run.
    Firefly was screwed, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Whedon announced he was planning to shoot a significant number of Dollhouse webisodes — one for every regular episode produced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

Both Sliders and Millennium got a good few seasons under their belts before they ended, so maybe it isnt all bad. Still, it might take just one more of his shows to be cancelled before Joss finally learns his lesson of associating with Fox.

sliders thrived in that slot didn't it?

when it switched channels it went to hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

part of me kinda wants this show to fail so he might make a sequel or prequel to Serenity/Firely in some form i.e. film, book or comic, tv series etc

JP Liz wrote: »
    part of me kinda wants this show to fail so he might make a sequel or prequel to Serenity/Firely in some form i.e. film, book or comic, tv series etc

As much as I loved Firefly, that's not gonna happen so I hope Dollhouse is a runaway success and Joss Whedon gets to tell the whole story he has in mind, regardless how many seasons it takes him...

FOX managed to partially restore my faith in the fact that maybe they do give a crap about this show (and T:SCC), with an awesome Grindhouse-style ad - check it out here:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/02/04/fantastic-dollhouse-terminator-promo-video/

But I still wouldn't hold my breath about the show lasting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

oh very tarantino -ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Ah right, seemed interested in this. Joss Whedon wrote it? blech :confused:

Starting next Friday. Not long to wait now....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Next Friday here, or in the States?

Has a network over here picked it up yet?

States, Earthhorse. No idea if anyone over here has picked it up yet. I think it'll need to get some traction over there first before anyone over this side pays any money for it.

I was referring to Six Degrees previously

Some goddamn woeful reviews so far..! :(

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40111
    Entertainment Weekly gives it an “B-minus” and says:

… Dushku's acting is dexterous and beguiling. Given the artfully vague hints of an intriguingly desperate past for Echo, as well as Whedon's track record, we ought to cut the show some slack. Let's see if Whedon can bring this doll to greater life. …

USA Today gives it two and a half stars (out of four) and says:

… an empty-vessel premise that probably couldn't support a series even were it more adroitly cast … The result is a show that his most devoted fans will debate and embrace, and a mass audience just won't get. … We love you, Joss, but please, build something else.

Time Magazine says:

… If it weren't for Whedon's pedigree, I'm not sure I'd be dying to see a second episode. …

The Los Angeles Times says:

… beyond disappointing. Overcrowded with plotlines, high-tech gimmicks and ambition yet empty of emotional connection and purpose, "Dollhouse" tries so hard to be so many things it winds up being nothing much at all. …

The Chicago Tribune says:

… is "Dollhouse" worth watching? Though Whedon fans no doubt want the answer to be a slam-dunk "yes," I can only, at this point, supply a more tentative "Yes, but …" …

The Washington Post says:

… a pretentious and risible jumble … Slices of mumbo don't come much more jumbo than this … it's enough to make one long for the days when TV dramas were criticized for being too pat, too predictable, too much like one another. Whedon, who directed the pilot, certainly dressed it up stylishly, but I'll take simple coherence over fancy-pants trappings any day. …

The San Francisco Chronicle says:

… a major disappointment. … judging from two additional episodes - one a step forward, the other a step back to the underwhelming quality of the pilot - it could be that Whedon has invested too much hope in his muse, Eliza Dushku, the star of "Dollhouse." It could also be that the premise is too flawed for anyone to elevate.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says:

… isn't awful, but neither is it remarkably good. It's a passable hour of entertainment that shows potential to improve but flails and confuses (and occasionally bores) from the start. …

The Salt Lake Tribune says:

… The kidnapping story is standard criminal fare, and we are given little to no information about Echo's background, which might give viewers a reason to latch on to her character. … I'll watch a few more episodes, but I'm afraid it won't be any more watchable than one of "Star Trek's" worst episodes ever.

The Newark Star Ledger says:

… The idea seems too complicated by half … it looks like a slate that keeps getting half-wiped as Whedon struggles to decide what to draw. …

The Boston Globe says:

… doesn't stand up to the broad interpretations it invites. … Ultimately, you'll want to think about "Dollhouse" more than you'll want to think about watching "Dollhouse." …

Variety says:

Joss Whedon's cult following is no secret, but he seems assured of attracting the faithful and little else with "Dollhouse" -- a series that exhibits a kitchen-sink mentality, throwing in a half-dozen assorted plot threads that intertwine to create confusion. … attempting to unravel this convoluted package suggests that by the time "Dollhouse" finds itself, there won't be anybody but hard-core Whedon worshippers left to play with. …

The Hollywood Reporter says:

… it's easy to see the high aspiration and grand potential of the series but far more difficult to develop any sort of attachment to either the conceit or its enchanting young star and co-producer, Eliza Dushku. … Although Whedon infuses "Dollhouse" with an impressively detailed story line and social structure as well as nifty production values, the show lacks something for viewers to grab onto. Having a personality-shifting protagonist makes for a rooting challenge and, at its core, a disappointingly soulless exercise. On the other hand, Whedon knows how to build a story like few others, and Dushku is an uncommonly talented performer who breathes vibrant life into the ever-evolving blank canvas scheme. So this could definitely turn into something special over time, if the Friday night ratings can justify the patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Hmmm. I read a few of them then stopped. People are gonna round on me for saying this but...first few episodes of Firefly sucked. Maybe it'll take him a while to find his feet but I'm confident Joss will pull off another show worth watching.

Ouch.

(I'm still going to watch it).

• Advertisement

TBH, I don't care what self-important TV critics have to say, I can make up my own mind. Most of the reviews seem to say something along the lines of "oh, it's complicated and too many plot lines"... Sheesh, why don't they go watch "Dancing with the Z-list" or some other f*cking reality crap then... or "According to Jim"...

Advertisement