Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

that was always the nicest bit on the old n8, along the galtees

I'm just after driving Cashel to Mitchelstown and, for the first time, the sky was blue and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. And do you know what? The countryside seemed beautiful. The Galtees on one side; the Knockmealdowns on the other. I think the reason Cashel to Mitchelstown looks so bleak is because there have been very few clear bright days since it opened. That said, the landscaping is still very bad and the weediness of the verges deplorable.

Good youtube clip here showing how quickly asphalt can be applied: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tPwloIeNtM&feature=related

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

England has the highest population density in Europe, I don't think it's fair to compare it to Ireland.

And its nearly all in a few select areas, with massive areas of nothingness in between, joined by two motorway corridors which are horrifically overloaded (M6/M40/42 and M1).

The blue signage is now being erected along the route. Between Exits 7 and 6 the scheme is largely complete (still a bit of landscaping to do though -- I hope!!). Between Exits 6 and 5 however, there's still a bit of surfacing to be done. I note too that the Transport 21 website says the scheme will open in Q4 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Good to see the authorities are no longer in denial about this...

When they started erecting signage on Cashel-Mitchelstown, the opening was only 3 weeks away. Perhaps we'll see a late November opening, but December 5th seems like the safest wager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

MYOB wrote: »
    And its nearly all in a few select areas, with massive areas of nothingness in between, joined by two motorway corridors which are horrifically overloaded (M6/M40/42 and M1).

And?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And?

Your original point was trying to claim we can't compare our system to theirs - when, realistically, we can. They may have a far higher population density but its extremely spread out and their idea of having two motorway corridors + spurs has failed woefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Good to see the authorities are no longer in denial about this...

When they started erecting signage on Cashel-Mitchelstown, the opening was only 3 weeks away. Perhaps we'll see a late November opening, but December 5th seems like the safest wager.

if that is the same for the next bit of the m8 that would be savage!

Your original point was trying to claim we can't compare our system to theirs - when, realistically, we can. They may have a far higher population density but its extremely spread out and their idea of having two motorway corridors + spurs has failed woefully.

But Ireland doesn't have multiple massive urban conglomerate areas, we only have one. And it's nowhere near as big as the big three urban areas in England.

Scale them all down and we're not that different. We're also not building 3 or 4 lane roads with the associated far higher land take; nor do we have a train network anything like Englands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

what is the point comparing with England? might as well compare with Germany or China while you're at it. England is most certainly not "empty apart from the urban areas" - its heavily populated everywhere between London and Yorkshire, by our standards.

If you must compare with the Brits, then Scotland would be a much better gauge - centralised, hilly, same population, same area, etc.

Scale them all down and we're not that different.

That's a big ask.

We're a completely different country in terms of population distribution.

The irony is that England built a motorway network in a style that would suit Ireland, while Ireland is building a motorway network in a style that would have suited England.

Incompetence on both sides of the Irish Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

That's a big ask.

We're a completely different country in terms of population distribution.

The irony is that England built a motorway network in a style that would suit Ireland, while Ireland is building a motorway network in a style that would have suited England.

Incompetence on both sides of the Irish Sea.

I would have said that scaled down, France would be a much better example.

Cities well distributed with seperate inter urbans linking them all.

Ireland is completely the wrong shape to be able to have just one or two main corridors to serve all the cities.

D.L.R. wrote: »
    what is the point comparing with England? might as well compare with Germany or China while you're at it. England is most certainly not "empty apart from the urban areas" - its heavily populated everywhere between London and Yorkshire, by our standards.

Scotland would be a much better gauge - centralised, hilly, same population, same area, etc. I wonder how our network stacks up to theirs?

In Scotland there are a few motorways, most of them centered on Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling. The main motorways are the M8 and the M9 (which actually connect at a free-flow junction) and the M74/A74(M) linking Glasgow to the Border.

In terms of linear distance, our networks are very similar in length... at the moment.

When our network is complete, it will be much more expansive and much greater in length than the Scottish network. It will also be a lot more logical, Scotland's motorway network is somewhat disjoined and patchy, with many spur motorways such as the M80 and the M898 and gaps (the two M8s don't link up).

However, arguably, we're the same in places as the M4 and M7 don't link with the M50 and the M18 doesn't connect with the M7 etc.

Scotland also has a sub-WS2 grade road from its capital to the border using the signed "THE SOUTH, LONDON" route...

I just rang the RoadbridgeSisk offices. The road will open on Monday, 8 December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Furet wrote: »
    I just rang the RoadbridgeSisk offices. The road will open on Monday, 8 December.

Well, Santa is coming early and in the process, we'll have about 50 miles of continuous M8 from Cullahill to Mitchelstown by Christmas. That's on top of the 35 miles of M6 from Kinnegead to Athlone we now have since the summer. Although incomplete, we'll now have 6 proper motorways (30 miles of more) - the following are approximate distances:

1) M01... 50 miles ex former M1 south of M50 jct;
    2) M04... 29 miles (+4 miles with reclassification);
    3) M06... 35 miles;
    4) M07... 35 miles;
    5) M08... 50 miles;
    6) M50... 30 miles inc DPT and M11 (OK, I'm cheating!).

Future motorways of 30 miles or more include:

7) M03... 2009 (est);
    8) M09... 2010 (latest);
    9) M11... 2012 (if we're lucky!);
    10) M18... 2015 (if we're lucky!).

Again, the above does not refer to total completions, but refers to when continuous motorways stretching for 30 miles of more are realised!

I hope Arklow to Rathnew scheme commences by 2010!

Regards!

thats great news hope they stay by their word!

It's good news in the fact that we now have a confirmed opening date...

But I would've liked to have seen it open slightly sooner, ah well...

In more good news, this thread is finally back on topic! :D

Well, Santa is coming early and in the process, we'll have about 50 miles of continuous M8 from Cullahill to Mitchelstown by Christmas. That's on top of the 35 miles of M6 from Kinnegead to Athlone we now have since the summer. Although incomplete, we'll now have 6 proper motorways (30 miles of more) - the following are approximate distances:

3) M06... 35 miles;
    4) M07... 35 miles;
    5) M08... 50 miles;

7) M03... 2009 (est);
    8) M09... 2010 (latest);

Again, the above does not refer to total completions, but refers to when continuous motorways stretching for 30 miles of more are realised!

Regards!

Well the M6, M7, M8 and M9 will be the longest motorways in Ireland, each over 100 km in length (the M7 may even reach 200 km if they eventually re-designate the bit after Naas and the Limerick tunnel).

The M20, M1 and M18 will be next, followed by err... the rest of them.

If they were ever to construct a full M25 from Rosslare to Cork, that would be very long (by our standards anyway) too...

Anyway, once this opens, the M8 will be the longest motorway in Ireland!

• Advertisement

great to sse our motorways are on time and ahead of time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

3) M06... 35 miles;
    4) M07... 35 miles;
    5) M08... 50 miles;

7) M03... 2009 (est);
    8) M09... 2010 (latest);

Regards!

Ironic for someone calling themselves "Irish and Proud" to be using a means of measurement not accepted in Ireland:D:D:D
    Are you sure you're not a plastic paddy? In the Republic of Ireland we use kilometers unless you work for Iarnrod Eireann!
    So that would be
    11 km - dundalk
    9.4 km north of dundalk
    29 km Kilbeggan to Athlone
    39.5km Cullahil to Cashel
    40km Cashel to Micthelstown
    8km M50
    5.6km port tunnel
    22.9 Km Gorey bypass
    13.65km Rathnew/Ashford
    etc, etc

Where are people getting 40km for Cashel-Mitchelstown?

As far as I know the Cashel-Mitchelstown scheme is 37 km, the Cashel bypass is 6.7 km and the Cashel-Cullahill stretch is 41 km.

The Fermoy bypass is 18 km long and Watergrasshill - Dunkettle is roughly 15 km long.

As for Mitchelstown-Fermoy, I've seen 16km, 18km and 22 km?!! Which one is correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

In the Republic of Ireland we use kilometers unless you work for Iarnrod Eireann!

What are these "kilometer" things you speak of?

Because there's no such thing as "kilometers" in this country.

Oh, and it's Iarnród Éireann as opposed to "Iarnrod Eireann" too.

E92 wrote: »
    What are these "kilometer" things you speak of?

Because there's no such thing as "kilometers" in this country.

Oh, and it's Iarnród Éireann as opposed to "Iarnrod Eireann" too.

I think "kilometer" is the American spelling...

Anyway, I have a feeling I'll drag this further off-topic if I continue, I better shut up... :D

To bring it back on topic (or nearly anyway), how long will the Mitchelstown-Fermoy section be? I've seen 16, 18 and 22 km. Anybody else got another possible length? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Where are people getting 40km for Cashel-Mitchelstown?

As far as I know the Cashel-Mitchelstown scheme is 37 km, the Cashel bypass is 6.7 km and the Cashel-Cullahill stretch is 41 km.
    I was using the NRA as my source

I was using the NRA as my source

Well that kinda explains it...

Nope. As far as I know, the stretch is 37km -

12km from Cashel - Cahir, 25km from Cahir - Carrigine.

The NRA's website must be including part of the Cashel bypass or Fermoy-Mitchlestown scheme. Either way, it doesn't really matter, but it would be nice for them to actually know how long the stretches of road they're building are.

That extra 3km includes the 2+1 N24 Bypass of Cahir.

That extra 3km includes the 2+1 N24 Bypass of Cahir.

Okay. I understand now.

But surely that should be listed as a seperate link-road. It says MAINLINE LENGTH: 40km. The mainline of the M8 in that section is only 37 km...

Oh... I don't even know what I'm complaining about anymore! The bloody road's been built already, I should just shut up! :D

• Advertisement

I would have said that scaled down, France would be a much better example.

Cities well distributed with seperate inter urbans linking them all.

Ireland is completely the wrong shape to be able to have just one or two main corridors to serve all the cities.

You could have many smaller corridors instead. Or a couple of major corridors supplemented by smaller corridors.

But we've chosen to have many major corridors. A system is being built that is much to large for an island country of four million.

Advertisement