Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running for Fitness/Weight loss

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

5 miles 8:35/mile - probably just 2 more 5 miler this week before the big day. Just trying to keep the legs as fresh as possible.

5 miles 8:45/mile, last run tomorrow.

Said I'd move over here for a bit...

Ok so last entry bar one final and hopefully successful one on Monday!

Last run before Monday - weather was waaay too bad to go out in and didn't want to risk anything. slipping etc.

5k on the threadmill plus 200m of strides (just to practice my finishing kick :D). Have massage booked for tomorrow evening after work and thats about it.

Got one piece of bad news - the hotel I'm staying in have temp closed down their pool, jacuzzi, sauna facilities which screws up any post race routine I had planned. :rolleyes:

I feel I've given it about 85% of what I'm capable of and I know where the gaps are in my training, but I can't change that now

Just checked own speadsheet and I'm after completing 39 weeks of training, Monday morning wil be the start of my 40th week. Since the 1st of Feb I've ran 812 miles and averaged 20 per week, peaking at 40+. I'm on my 3rd pair of runners, have amassed more running gear than most sports shops stock, my kit bag contains enough stuff that I could survive survive for days without anything else. I've lost 3stone in weight, been abused by drivers, returned the compliment, been chased by dogs, fcuked a dog over a gate by the scruff of its neck (after the 3rd chase), had auld codgers leaning over gates cheering me on of a sunday morning, frighten the sh1t out of unsuspecting pedestrians when I passed, met complete strangers and ran with them. Despite all that Monday is still a trip into the unknown, BUT I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

ike wrote: »

1 I'm after completing 39 weeks of training, Monday morning wil be the start of my 40th week. Since the 1st of Feb I've ran 812 miles and averaged 20 per week, peaking at 40+.

2 I've lost 3stone in weight,

3 fcuked a dog over a gate

1 - great consistency, brilliant.

2 - fantastic, reap the benefits on Monday

3 - :eek: beds are more romantic :pac:

• Advertisement

LOL :D:D:D- Cheers...

Well she was a bitch plus I still had 6 miles to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great log Ike , and the dog thing also. Though I tend to scare the sxite out of them when I sprint after them if they snap at my heals.

Best luck on Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I had a dog follow me for about 1/2 a mile on monday, the owner wasnt too happy that i didnt stop runing when the dog followed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stipes212

best of luck on monday

OK here goes – the last nine months have been geared towards my first marathon. At the start of training I wanted to run a sub 4 but I predicted my time at around 3:52. My initial strategy was to run around 8:45-50/mile. But the more I though about it I reckoned I was going to get tired if I ran at 8:30 or 8:50, so I said I’d reel off as many 8:30’s as I could and hopefully settle into a rhythm and have it in the bank so to speak.

My plan for nutrition was to take a High5 Gel at miles 5, 10, 15, 20 & 23 and I stick to this plan.

Basically over the first 19 I averaged 8:28, nothing exceptional was tiring but still full of running.

Then at the bottom of the UCD flyover I though disaster had struck out of nowhere I got a cramp in right hamstring and had to pull over to stretch and bang on it for about 30 sec. I genuinely though my race was over at that stage and was fit to cry all I could think about how well it have went so far for this to happen, It seems to sort it self out and I carried on pushing to keep the same pace. About a mile later on the Merrion road my left hamstring got cramp. I though some one was taking the piss I mean 3 miles to go and this happens, took about a minute to try and sort them out and just motored on, the next 3 miles were close or bang on 9:00miles couldn’t get back on 8:30 pace. At this stage I was not stopping and had no intention of walking. Just to prove someone was talking the piss around the 25mile somewhere on Fenian St or a bit further in my right calf cramped!! All I needed was cramp in my left calf and I had the full set! I had to stop and throw the leg up on a bonnet of a Volvo and stretch it out again! At this stage I was so pumped up from hearing and seeing the crowd, I gave 2 fingers to the pain and lengthened my stride got back on 8:30 with a mile to go.

Going round college green I was totally pumped was shouting at the crowd to get them going and they responded (what a feeling – magic pure exhilaration), spotted my wife and kids big shout out from both of us and then I legged it averaged 7:13 over the last quarter mile. Lance Armstrong was so right when he said pain is temporary. It was all I kept thinking about over the last few miles if I let the pain get to me, my first marathon will be gone forever, but the aches will go in a few days. Turned onto merrion square and seen 3:47:45 on the clock (I think) sprinted to beat 3:48:00 I was clocked at 3:48:09 and chip rounded down to 3:47:00 extremely happy it didn’t hit me for about a few minutes after the finish, got a bit emotional. Only for the cramps I would have gone sub 3:45 not bothered about that tho.

It was really great to see the crowds at the main junctions and everywhere really. I made a conscious effort to shout c’mon and punch the air when I passed a large crown and I always got a great response and in turn a great lift. You can never overestimate the effect a cheering crowd or the person on their own, willing you on can have. In my eyes they were as much heroes as the runners, so fair play one and all. I was walking back to the hotel and stopped for about 20mins to cheer on some of the runners making their way in and hopefully give someone a lift.

Had a nice few pints with the some of the boardsie later on it was great to meet them all and share the stories, so cheers guys

Getting back into running has been more than about fitness/weight loss, its thought me how to get mentally stronger, dig deeper, go beyond limits and do what we were designed to do.

This will be my last entry in this log, I will hopefully start another one soon with whatever I’m aiming for. I’m no longer “Running for fitness/weight loss” I’m now Running.

Thanks

Ike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Congrat Ike, great stuff. I'll be looking forward to your new log mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff ike
    and a pleasure to meet you afterwards and on journey home
    look forward to reading your new goal whatever it may be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ICX

Congrads Ike that a very good time indeed, this has been a fantastic log and I looked forward to reading it. All the best for your future goals..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

great going Ike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Cualaman

Ike,
    I have just read your complete log and i have to say its inspirational stuff.
    Well done and what a story.
    I now feel i can give this a real go. I ran the 1995DM and have done nothing since but i think now i will aim to complete the 2009DM.
    I am sadly now heading for 16 stone and i will be 44 shortly but after reading what you have acheived this year i am determined to give it a go.
    Thanks for sharing your journey and i hope you start a new log soon.
    Keep it up

Cheers

Cualaman

Up the Dubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

im so far off running its unreal . too over weight at the moment

but i spent 30 mins reading over your log ike

just wanna say , fair play to you and your killing ur old times , and great weight loss

keep it up man

best of luck

Advertisement