Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Kidna stole the thread from the old one.

Right, to get tha ball rolling with this one, i must ask...

Are there plans to open this sooner than the Ballinasloe-Galway section? Surely they would because its a shorter road?

According to the NRA site this road is scheduled for Q4 2009. The Galway-Ballinasloe section is scheduled for Q2 2010. Of course given that it's a toll road, they might get it opened ahead of schedule so as to collect extra toll revenue. The 30year contract includes contrustion, so faster they can get it built the more money they'll make over the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Without a doubt it'll open first. At least a year earlier i'd say.

Some of the bridges are already in place and others are well advanced, I think that we are still a few months away from the disruptive phase when the N6 at the Elan junction gets diverted onto the slip roads while the road is re-aligned.

edit: cough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's 2 schemes building the M6 to Balinasloe. one from Athlone and one from Ballybrit. which one do ye mean?

There's 2 schemes building the M6 to Balinasloe. one from Athlone and one from Ballybrit. which one do ye mean?

It's the Athlone - Ballinasloe section.

• Advertisement

There's one overbridge completed, with traffic using it, has been so since before race week. It's west of where the new road crosses the existing road.

at the crossover itself, there was scaffolding to put up the steel for the pilars/columns for the overbridge last weekend.

There was graded hardcore both sides of the N18, can't remember if there was any structure work being done,
    and at Aughrim the shape of the carriageways was looking obvious, but a lot of work to be done there.
    was it at Aughrim that some crusties tried to stop building through the battlefield and is that why the western scheme is behind?

There is a clear outline of the new N65/N66 from Loughrea at the New Inn roundabout, though I dunno how many people would go that way compared to the existing N6 routes to Galway or Bsloe if there's a turnpike both ways.

There is a clear outline of the new N65/N66 from Loughrea at the New Inn roundabout, though I dunno how many people would go that way compared to the existing N6 routes to Galway or Bsloe if there's a turnpike both ways.

I would imagine the reduced speed limits would "encourage" many to use the new road, also those going to Loughrea from Dublin will already be on the M6 and unless they know the area will be "signed" to stay on the M6.

Be interesting to see how it's signed alright. It would be different to Kilcock/Kinegad as Loughrea is a long way off the route from Attymon.
    Dunno about the speed limits though, the Rwhatever into and out of Loughrea( previous N6) is 100kmh from the roundabouts to the 60kmh limits. and the N65 will be 100kmh from Loughrea to the Portumna junction. 'twould be a hard sell for the N65/N66 to have a higher speed limit than the existing N6. the Old N8 got the limits raised from Fermoy to Watergrasshill recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

dubhthach wrote: »
    According to the NRA site this road is scheduled for Q4 2009. The Galway-Ballinasloe section is scheduled for Q2 2010.

You are correct about the date advertised by the NRA. However if you look at the contractors newsletter section of the NRA website http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/ContractorsNewsletters/file,15351,en.pdf it gives a completion/operation date of the 4th of Jan 2010, and unless they plan to work through Christmas/New Year really means open for pre Christmas traffic 09. The NRA must think people are stupid. It makes my skin crawl everytime the open a new piece of road and announce it is ahead of schedule. Very easy to be ahead of schedule when you add 6 months to a 30 month project. They should try delivering in the real world where 30 month projects have to be delivered in 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

rekrow wrote: »
    You are correct about the date advertised by the NRA. However if you look at the contractors newsletter section of the NRA website http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/ContractorsNewsletters/file,15351,en.pdf it gives a completion/operation date of the 4th of Jan 2010, and unless they plan to work through Christmas/New Year really means open for pre Christmas traffic 09. The NRA must think people are stupid. It makes my skin crawl everytime the open a new piece of road and announce it is ahead of schedule. Very easy to be ahead of schedule when you add 6 months to a 30 month project. They should try delivering in the real world where 30 month projects have to be delivered in 24.

Well it allows the NRA to get a pat on the head from the goverment and some minister type to prattle on bout how "fast infrastructure is been delivered". I wouldn't mind but the Road was supposed to be delivered by 2006, awh well. Still if it's open pre-Christmas 2009 that it be great. Especially for going down home over Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

In fairness to the NRA, they weren't given the money to allow for the completion of the major inter-urban routes by end 2006 as was the original completion date announced by the government.

Judging by rates of construction being reported here all these roads should be completed by the end of 2009 - only three years late! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rekrow

Just getting back to the original question as I understand it the question was which will open first Athlone-Ballinasloe. If I am correct it won't make any difference if the Athlone - Ballinasloe section finishes any sooner as there are no exits on this road other than the one at the Athlone end and the one that ties into the Ballinasloe - Galway road. Unless they do some sort of a partial opening the Galway side if the Athlone side finishes first it will just end up as a very long cul de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Will Ballinasloe be bypassed on the free road? If so, im gonna get onto the old road after Ballinasloe. Loughrea is as good as bypassed and there be so much less traffic on the old road anyway. No way would i pay a toll to goto Galway! Ok city but just no..

Will Ballinasloe be bypassed on the free road? If so, im gonna get onto the old road after Ballinasloe. Loughrea is as good as bypassed and there be so much less traffic on the old road anyway. No way would i pay a toll to goto Galway! Ok city but just no..

Yes, the toll plaza is being built west of the western link junction of the bypass.

rekrow wrote: »
    Just getting back to the original question as I understand it the question was which will open first Athlone-Ballinasloe. If I am correct it won't make any difference if the Athlone - Ballinasloe section finishes any sooner as there are no exits on this road other than the one at the Athlone end and the one that ties into the Ballinasloe - Galway road. Unless they do some sort of a partial opening the Galway side if the Athlone side finishes first it will just end up as a very long cul de sac.

There will be a partial opening of the Ballinasloe-Galway section to allow the Athlone-Ballinasloe stretch to open first.

This is the Eastern Interchange where the Athlone stretch terminates but it's part of the Galway contract along with the slip roads. You can see the link road going off in the distance to the existing N6. Both are well advanced and will/should be finished in time for the Athlone opening.

y1pgn-IvM6BcJNFMlAbhvfedF_TBp_ib4HpvyJerbh42Y6xYxuUERWjhyjhJ_BJf4ft

kaizersoze wrote: »
    There will be a partial opening of the Ballinasloe-Galway section to allow the Athlone-Ballinasloe stretch to open first.

This is the Eastern Interchange where the Athlone stretch terminates but it's part of the Galway contract along with the slip roads. You can see the link road going off in the distance to the existing N6. Both are well advanced and will/should be finished in time for the Athlone opening.

Do you mean the link to the existing N6 from the end of the Athlone Balinasloww or the balinasloe bypass section of the B/sloe Galway section?
    Or both?

Do you mean the link to the existing N6 from the end of the Athlone Balinasloww or the balinasloe bypass section of the B/sloe Galway section?
    Or both?

No, just the link from the end of the Athlone section to the existing N6 east of Ballinasloe.
    About a KM past the junction in the pic is where they're bridging the river Suck. That'll take a while.

y1pcL-aBU1Q4Xg2xMhSQ-m9-U4lCdIbIbn10IBR41N7zslrQLa4OgqFLC5AJBkkzptr

Hey whats the story with the roundabouts going up on the Monksland Exit. When is it due to happen? Seems to be nothing going on these days. Very little activity. They seem to have some bits of road laid out on the Westbound Exit, but doing this very slowly...

The current exit gets all the more dangerous because of teh mounds of gravel blocking ones view of traffic coming from the left of the stop sign.

There appears to be a lot of work in progress i.e. drainage, final layer of aggregate the bridge over the railway line etc.
    I suspect that they will do as much as possible, including the monksland roundabout and the westbound slips then wait until the remainder of the road system is nearly complete before switching traffic over to the new link.

The shorter the time ALL traffic uses the monksland junction the better, it'll be a real choker!

I have just noticed an increase in activity at this junction, extra VMS and barriers have appeared.

Looks like they are preparing to start work on improving the eastbound slips and the new roundabout to the north of the N6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Course the old road will probably become an R road and have an 80 km limit...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Solyad wrote: »
    Course the old road will probably become an R road and have an 80 km limit...

and the road from balinasloe to loughrea is brutal and is 80 in parts anyway

I was a bit quick off the mark the other week, but now work has started on the new roundabouts that will connect the new link road to the Tuam Rd & the old N6 at the western end of the Athlone bypass.

Expect peak time delays here in the coming weeks. :(

Work is progressing at the eastern end of thei road, they have started to dig up the old central reservation where it goes to single lane to make way for the new roundabout.

Need to slow down here now! Everyone has learned to ignore the warning signs, but now they are actually useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but piece in the local paper today saying the Athlone bypass is to be designated as a motorway, but may remain at 100 km/h.

Cant see it happening barring an upgrade of Roscommon exit. That can be a deathtrap at rush hour for merging/exiting traffic with not enough room to speed up/slow down

Being so close to the bridge, it would need a complete rebuild about 300m to the west to make it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Being so close to the bridge, it would need a complete rebuild about 300m to the west to make it safe.

I think a few miles at 100km/h is ok . the M1 , goes from 120km/h to 100km/h from the airport to M50 junction 1 and that does no one any harm

It could just be classed as an "urban motorway" like the M50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

100kmh motorway would be ideal for the Athlone bypass. It'd be daft to have two M6s with a Cumberland gap style DC in between. Slap on the restrictions, keep the speed limit at 100kmh. Same situation as you have now, but no **** like tractors floating around on there.

Advertisement