Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Living Irishman ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Why are people naming so many non-Irish or dead people in a list of greatest living Irishmen?

Anyway...
    When it comes to putting Ireland on the map nobody comes close to U2 and particularly Bono. He has to be the greatest living Irishman/person.

Whoever classed Tommy Tiernan as a 'greatest living Irishman' wants their head examined!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Fintan O'Tool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Scotty # wrote: »
    Why are people naming so many non-Irish or dead people in a list of greatest living Irishmen?

Anyway...
    When it comes to putting Ireland on the map nobody comes close to U2 and particularly Bono. He has to be the greatest living Irishman/person.

Whoever classed Tommy Tiernan as a 'greatest living Irishman' wants their head examined!

Bono ?... that guy who cant hold a candle to phil ?? meh, might aswell name the idea stealing bob.

Kids need their heads examined... i know taste is a hard thing to obtain but the effort is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Shítsu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Jackie Healy-Rae.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kas1970

Maybe not the greatest all things considered but I'm kind of amazed no mention of George Ivan Morrison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gorgeous_george

"Paddy the Irishman", the original butt of all jokes!

haha awh no has to be:
    1. Aidan O'Brien!!!
    2. Bob Geldof.
    3. David McWilliams! (come on you know you like it when he gets all excited about economics!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

living

bono
    gay byrne
    john hume

dead
    john lennon (hes irish to me)
    mick collins
    bobby sands

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

donal og ya belter

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Charlie Haughey
    Bertie Ahern
    Ivan Callelly:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Seán óg ó hAilpín

Hector

FaceKicker

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

The man who puts the fig into the fig rolls....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Bertie Ahearn

Seanie Fitzpatrick

David Drumm

oh wait s**t.... its 2010:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Mr Brian Cowen for his anti recession spiel
    03-07-2008, 22:20

Oh DEAR!!!!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

John Hume if you believe the ''irelands greatest'' show result ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

living

bono
    gay byrne
    john hume

dead
    john lennon (hes irish to me)
    mick collins
    bobby sands
    gay byrne ?Hes the most annoying condecending gombeen ireland ever produced,bonos an egomaniac,des bishop isint funny and isint irish,surley we can do better than state the totally obvious,how about roy keane who captained one of the biggest clubs in the world for 10 years, or padraig the duck harrington who won three majors,

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

ha ha roy keane for turning his yellow back on his country

AnneFrank wrote: »
    gay byrne ?Hes the most annoying condecending gombeen ireland ever produced,bonos an egomaniac,des bishop isint funny and isint irish,surley we can do better than state the totally obvious,how about roy keane who captained one of the biggest clubs in the world for 10 years, or padraig the duck harrington who won three majors,

Harrington who didnt hit a shot straight for 2 years after winning the last of those majors???

ha ha roy keane for turning his yellow back on his country

he was sent home actually and is still the best player this country ever produced,who would you pick ?Robbie Keane ?

Harrington who didnt hit a shot straight for 2 years after winning the last of those majors???

that doesn't take away from the fact he won three majors though does it

• Advertisement

AnneFrank wrote: »
    that doesn't take away from the fact he won three majors though does it

I suppose not!

How about sonia o'sullivan??? One of the most successful irish athletes ever . . .

I suppose not!

How about sonia o'sullivan??? One of the most successful irish athletes ever . . .

yeah good call she'd be on the list alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Ill probably get booed off the boards for saying this, but Gerry Ryan was one helluva great irishman..
    Eloquent, passionate, intelligent and a pleasure to listen to every morning.
    for me he was the real 'voice' of Ireland.

boooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!He's dead so hardly the greatest living irishman !!!and i certainly have a very differant opinion of him than you do !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... How about sonia o'sullivan??? . . .

Im sure Sonia, her parents and other family members, her partner and their children will be thrilled sh!t!ess at her nomination as our "Greatest Living Irishman ?" :eek:

mathepac wrote: »
    Im sure Sonia, her parents and other family members, her partner and their children will be thrilled sh!t!ess at her nomination as our "Greatest Living Irishman ?" :eek:

ha ha i like it !!!How could we ever forget the big D !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

Michelle Smith love her

mathepac wrote: »

Irishperson then . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Irishperson then . . .
    or Irish woman even, but that would be a different thread altogether then Dougal

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 74 ✭✭acoc100

You should pick people that made an impact on Ireland to improve it greatly, the best ones of those are :

1. Eamonn De Valera ( Considered Irish )
    2. Michael Collins
    3. Sean Lemass

Don't pontificate who people should pick.

It is a individuals choice who resonates with them personally the most.

Advertisement