Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kevpants wrote: »
    I do 3 week cycles of Bench Max Effort lifts. 3 weeks flat, 3 Incline, 3 Close grip. The fact I hate the incline makes me think I need to do it and in fairness I feel like a coiled spring when I get back to the ME Flat Bench after it.

The principle is after 3 weeks doing 1RM's on a lift you stop progressing and need to change it. Same with the 3 week squat/ deadlift cycle.

Cool, and at least you feel the carry over to the flat bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Sunday 5/10/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    110kg x 3 x 10 (sets x reps)

Hypers:
    10kg plate behind head

Incline Sit Ups:
    Holding 15kg plate outstretched infront

Ok so a short but intense sesh here. I arrived at the gym at 6.15pm thinking it was open until 8pm, not so, it closes at 7 on a Sunday.

This was pukalicious by the end.

Wednesday 8/10/08 ME Upper

Incline Bench:
    65kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    75kg x 1 x 4
    85kg x 1 x 3
    95kg x 1 x 2
    105kg x 1 x 1
    115kg x 1 x 1
    125 kg x 1 x miss
    110kg x 2 x 2
    100kg x 1 x 3

Weighted Dips:
    25kg

Chins:

HS Bench:
    70kg paused at the bottom

Went to the gym starving. I'd eaten like a sparrow all day and I'm so pissed at myself. My stomach was actually rumbling in there. I felt so weak on the bench, the whole thing was just crap and it was all my own fault. Did my best Joe Kinnear impression after that 125kg miss.

Never again will that happen, I really took my eye off the ball. Went home and scoffed a double serving of Mrs Pants cottage pie (that's not a euphemism by the way :P) and a litre and a half of milk. Been eating like a machine today and I'm gonna tear myself a new one deadlifting tonight.

At least I don't have to Incline bench again for 6 weeks.

Thursday 09/10/08 ME Lower

Deadlift:

110 x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    130 x 1 x 4
    150 x 1 x 3
    160 x 1 x 2
    180 x 1 x 1
    190 x 1 x 1
    210 x 1 x 1 PR!!
    190 x 3 x 1

RDL's:
    105kg

Hypers:
    10kg behind head

Ab Pulldowns:
    97.5kg

My reaction to the Deadlifts:

As happy as I was with the DL's I was fuming last night. Some skinny little pissant made a derrogatory comment about my wife as she was walking past in the upstairs section of TF last night. He thought she was gone past but she actually stopped just behind him and overheard. He said it to his mate.

My wife wouldn't point them out to me no matter how much I begged. She was scared I was gonna make a scene. All I was gonna say was to keep his comments to himself as you don't know who it'll get back to, half of the drug dealing community in West Dublin is in there. What if she'd been their wife? He' be waking up in a ditch in 4 different plastic bags.

What is it with blokes? Why do they have to exhibit the alpha male chest beating in gyms to make themselves feel like big men. I don't mind when it happens to me in there but my wife was in tears over it. I totally understand women not wanting to go to gyms ya know that. Fúckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭daveywavey08

Well done on the deadlift Kev, you're making some nice progress. Soon, you'll be a monster!

• Advertisement

Hey Kev what did taht c*nt say about your wife??

Thanks Dave. I'm not gonna repeat it cos she reads these forums and I think she'd prefer to forget about it but it was just your standard issue throwaway comment to make his balls feel big.

I aksed her what he was doing up there.... fúckin Pec Dec. How typical is that?

Apolgies to Hanley, Malteaser and Degsy I was probably a little curt when I was chatting with ye but I was a bit thrown by what happened and in a rush to drop her home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Man that's a fcuking disgrace. Malt's got it too in there before as I'm sure she'd tell you. There's a lot of absolute fcuking cnuts in there who deserve a good smack.

'Grats on the deadlift. It's really starting to climb!

Yeah they do. But what can you do. I'm just sorry I didn't get the chance to give him a bit of a fright is all. They don't like their intimidation being challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hey Kev, just saw this now...Congrats on the new deadlift PB... :) Bet you were delighted with yourself, 210kg is an awesome number.

Apolgies to Hanley, Malteaser and Degsy I was probably a little curt when I was chatting with ye but I was a bit thrown by what happened and in a rush to drop her home.

Would ya go away out of that, no need to apologize. It's completely understandable, like Hanley said a few comments have been thrown my way too in the gym and it's not a nice feeling. Funny enough, I wouldn't tell Ham who said it either until much later on coz I didn't want for there to be a big scene! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I've never seen guys acting the dick towards women in the gym before. I guess I've been lucky in the places I've trained.

Friday 10/10/08 RE Upper

Close Grip Bench:
    75kg

Chins:

HS Rows:
    80kg

Tate Presses:
    15kg

Tricep Pushdowns:
    Straight bar 37.5kg

And he went unto the valley and spoke of the pump. And they rejoiced for they saw that it was good.

Sunday 12/10/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    115kg

A little lie down...

HS Leg Press:
    170kg

Hypers (45 degree stand)
    10kg behind head:

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    97.5kg

Tuesday 14/10/08 ME Upper

Flat Bench:
    70kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    80kg x 1 x 4
    90kg x 1 x 3
    100kg x 1 x 2
    110kg x 1 x 1
    125kg x 1 x 1
    135kg x 1 x 1 PR
    130kg x 3 x 1

Chins:

Seated DB Power Cleans:
    15kg

Tate Presses:
    20kg
    x 3 + miss

Woohoo. After my shocking 3 weeks on the incline bench I thought I'd hit a plateau but 135kg sits nicely with me. If I can manage 140kg by Xmas I think I'll deserve and extra slice of that trifle stuff you only get at that time of year.

Hanely and Degsy up again today. With the boards community and few others who've I've gotten chatting with up there there's a nice little group now and I have to say I'm liking the atmosphere. Even if it is speckled with díckheads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭ Tristian Swift Steward

Wanna export a few of the sound lads to TF Malahide Rd. and take some of our surplus of dickheads? :P

Nice lifting Kev, I have to imagine if you're getting three solid reps of 130kg and a 1RM of 135kg then you have 140kg in you in ten weeks?! Fair play dude.

Nice lifting Kev, I have to imagine if you're getting three solid reps of 130kg and a 1RM of 135kg then you have 140kg in you in ten weeks?! Fair play dude.

Thanks Rob. Just to clarify that wasn't a 3 rep set of 130 it was 3 singles. So 1 rep per set.

The reasoning behind it is that I try to load up my Nervous System as much as I can on each lift for the last few sets of this bench workout.

Once I've lifted 135, which is my absolute max, I'm fairly tanked so I bring it back to a number I'm confident I could still get a rep out of. If I'd struggled on the second lift of 130 I might have done a single on 127.5kg to finish with.

So long as the weight is making me strain to rep once and I'm constantly pushing as hard as I can I should get stronger under heavy weight.

The theory then is that next week I'll have adjusted to dealing with 135kg and I'll be able to push myself that little bit to get 137.5kg out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭ Tristian Swift Steward

All makes sense to me mate! Didn't actually notice it was 3 singles but still have to believe you've definitely got 140kg x1 x1 in there by Christmas. Out of interest, how long of a rest did you take between the 135 and then how much between the three 130s?

The rest period is as much as I need. 3/4/5 mins. I'm not looking to build any kind of recovery speed with MAx Effort stuff it's just strength so I wait until I'm fully ready. This should mean I'm utilising all of the available strength I have left rather than suffering from fatigue from the previous set.

I try to keep the recovery for the assistance stuff (DB power cleans, tate's etc) to around a minute though.

Thursday 16/10/08 ME Lower

Squat
    90kg x 1 x 5 (sets x reps)
    100kg x 1 x 4
    110kg x 1 x 3
    130kg x 1 x 2
    150kg x 1 x 1
    160kg x 1 x 1
    170kg x 1 x 1 PR oooooooh depth?
    160kg x 2 x 1
    155kg x 1 x 1

RDL's
    110kg

Hypers 180degree stand
    15kg behind head

Standing Ab Pulldowns
    97.5kg

Slightly annoyed I didn't go deeper on 170kg but happy none the less. Didn't bottom out like I usually do but think it was just below parralel.

My feeling of invincibility was slightly ruffled spotting Hanley's set after my workout. As per his log he took my 1RM and repped it 12 times! Absolutely incredible squatting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You're getting awfully strong man. Seriously. You musta made some huge gains in the last 6-12 months????

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    You're getting awfully strong man. Seriously. You musta made some huge gains in the last 6-12 months????

Yeah 5 months ago I was:

Bench 110
    Squat 135
    Pull 150

Now:

Bench 135
    Squat 170
    Pull 210

Smack in the face for those who say Westside and drugs are inseperable.

I reckon the bench is good because I always trained it somewhat and, thinking it was all I needed to do, really worked my chest to get it up so I had a strong chest as a base. Now that I'm building my back and tri's the bench is coming up. I think I'm just bringing previously weak muscles (like lower back in the squat) up to speed and my lifts are going up as a result.

Very good progress dude, are you planning on competing at some stage?

Yeah. In the new year I'll have a look at things and see about competing in a raw event. Would be a great experience and once I pop my cherry I'm sure I'll be hooked. Not thinking about it at the moment just looking at my goals and that's what drives me on.

I've hit all of my Xmas goals I set in June now but I really want my numbers to be as big as possible by then so I'm pushing hard.

Next is 250 Deadlift, 150 bench and 200 Squat. Dunno why my deadlift is coming out as the fastest improver but I'm gonna set myself a tough target on it. I've seriously short legs for my height which I think helps (32" and I'm just a fraction under 6 ft, my 5"5' wife has the same length legs :eek:). I dunno about the timescales for them. I just try and add 2.5kg wherever possible right now.

Sorting out your lower back must carry over to the dead, as would improved squatting generally? Those goals are well within your reach man, good luck with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

5 months ago I was:

Bench 110
    Squat 135
    Pull 150

Now:

Bench 135
    Squat 170
    Pull 210

Wow, nice going there. Pretty productive 5 months - congrats!

Sorting out your lower back must carry over to the dead, as would improved squatting generally? Those goals are well within your reach man, good luck with it.

Yeah the lower back work helps alot with both the squat and dead. I don't train specifically for the deadlift, the squats and squat assistance work brings it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Hanely and Degsy up again today. With the boards community and few others who've I've gotten chatting with up there there's a nice little group now and I have to say I'm liking the atmosphere. Even if it is speckled with díckheads :)

I definitely agree with you there Kev, there's a great atmosphere in the place when there's a few around that you know.

I heard your benching from the other day looked mega strong, Hanley mentioned something about how you were properly pausing on each of your reps which is very impressive so kudos to you!!

Also well done on your squat PR!! :) (how many PRs is that now in the last week?? I've lost count...:pac:)

Coming along nicely baby

Friday 17/10/08 RE Upper

Incline Bench
    72.5kg
    x 9 Elbow pain!

Chins:
    More elbow pain

Wide Parralel grip pulldowns:
    75kg

Close grip seated high row:
    90kg

Didn't warm up as thoroughly as I usually do and got this aching pain on the insides of my elbows. Felt almost like a tight bicep or forearm that was causing it. Strange it happened in both of them. It also seriously reduced my grip strength, I couldn't squeeze very tight.

I may have had a stroke...

• Advertisement

Saturday 18/10/08 RE Lower

Squat:
    70kg x 7 (warm up set)
    110kg x 20

Good mornings:
    70kg

Bodyweight 180 degree frame hypers:

Standing Ab Pulldowns:
    97.5kg

Tried the 20 rep squats that have been discussed here quite often. Wasn't too bad with 110kg. I'll go for 115kg for my RE day this week and see how they feel.

Advertisement