Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Lansdowne Road

• 15-09-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Not sure if it really qualifies as infrastructure but theres a good article and pictures of the emerging Lansdowne Road Stadium in todays Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0915/1221257218317.html

Looks like the development is proceeding at a pace. Should be a great atmosphere in the compact stadium for the big games. Always think Croke Park is just too big and needs a full house to generate any atmosphere. (and it looks like its only 3/4 finished with the uncovered Hill 16 end.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

It looks like it will only be 3/4s of a stadium as well.

At least with this one the roof will go all the way around, including the missing 1/4, so it doesn't look so unfinished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Yes. The GAA need to sort out that missing chunk of Croker...

Lansdowne is already starting to look great btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

BluntGuy wrote: »

nothing wrong with that missing chunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

nothing wrong with that missing chunk

There's nothing *wrong*, but the stadium would look a lot nicer if is was complete the whole way 'round.

I'm sure one day in the future they'll get round to doing it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

There's nothing *wrong*, but the stadium would look a lot nicer if is was complete the whole way 'round.

I'm sure one day in the future they'll get round to doing it...

while i agree it would look nicer if it was completed in a bowl structure , you would loose the heart of the place - hill 16 in the summer is a great place to be - ok i don't really stand there anymore and there are some right scummers in there - but the noise and colour from it is second to none

anyways it was only re vamped 3 years ago and the fact that the railway line runs right behind it as is and then houses beyond that mean it will prob never happen.

also whats with landsdowne and the on tier section behind one of the goals - am i right in saying that the pitch has been shifted 90 degrees so the one tier section would have previously been a 2 tier in the old landsowne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

while i agree it would look nicer if it was completed in a bowl structure , you would loose the heart of the place - hill 16 in the summer is a great place to be - ok i don't really stand there anymore and there are some right scummers in there - but the noise and colour from it is second to none

anyways it was only re vamped 3 years ago and the fact that the railway line runs right behind it as is and then houses beyond that mean it will prob never happen.

also whats with landsdowne and the on tier section behind one of the goals - am i right in saying that the pitch has been shifted 90 degrees so the one tier section would have previously been a 2 tier in the old landsowne ?

No, the pitch has shifted 10 degrees maybe, not even. And its slightly further from the train line. Same basic layout though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

No No No please don't fill in the "chunk". Leave the chunk as a terrace and keep Croker distinguishable from every other stadium in the world. 82 or 83,000 is enough capacity and a bit of wind always keeps things interesting.

Landsdowne looks good like the crowd will be right on the pitch. Pity ther didn't keep wanderers club house though. Nothing wrong with a bit of idiosyncracy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I went on the tour of it recently and they confirmed that it will never happen due to these reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    Pity they didn't keep wanderers club house though. Nothing wrong with a bit of idiosyncracy.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so. I always thought it was quirky but cool to have a house in either end of the stand in Lansdowne Road. Ditto with Corballis house in the airport which has recently been demolished.

I recognise that they had to go - it's just a pity that they did.

Still, you can always tune into Rugbai Gold on TG4 if you want to see them again, and bring a tear to your eye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

serfboard wrote: »
    Ditto with Corballis house in the airport which has recently been demolished.
    Christmas always begun with a spin through the airport to look at the Christmas lights, and Corballis always looked amazing.

Progress :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

went by it the other day on the dart, looks impressive. about time we got a good stadium for soccer and rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

anyone know where plans or layout can be viewed, i do check out www.lrsdc.ie regulary, to see the pictures, and have a idea in my head from the artists impression, but curious (more out of interest) on the actual plans, ie layout drawings, the surounding etc,

did try and opening some of the documents on the above site but a software conflict wouldn't let me or find the right programe to view them

Here is the planning application.

All the plans and elevations along with tons of correspondence can be found on the 'Documents' tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

Finally there are some new pics up on the stadium website. It's coming along nicely.

http://www.lrsdc.ie/gallery/photocategory.asp?PCID=34&NCID=68

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

why are they leaving one end like croke park in the pictures? they have 3/4 nearly done but one end is not even started, do they have to buy some houses at that end or something?

Just look at the artist impressions. That end needs the least work. Due to the way the stadium has been designed it can never (without huge disruption) be expanded even if they were to buy up the houses behind - which they have no plans to do.

By the way new pictures have been uploaded for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The northern end is being left like Croke Park for the exact same reason Croke Park is like that- if it was higher, then the houses behind it would be in shadow all the time. If you look at the last arial photo, you can see the shadow of the southern end of the stadium goes about 2/3 of the way up where the pitch will be. When the roof goes on, the shadow will be longer.

I presume for construction the northern end is being left like that to allow access of large loads to the interior of the stadium, and will be built last, from the railway side towards the back pitch. the secnd last arial photo shows a lane/gap from the back pitch into where the northern terrace was.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Here is the planning application.

All the plans and elevations along with tons of correspondence can be found on the 'Documents' tab.

a new application was lodged with DCC last week for alterations to the stadium.

some minor changes i believe, including drop in levels in places and a revised facade detail.
    they have also aquired some land from the houses behind it to adjust the site layout.

i will route out a DCC ref number tomorrow.

New photos available here
    http://www.lrsdc.ie/gallery/photocategory.asp?PCID=34&NCID=0

It's progressing well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭cherrypicker555

Finally there are some new pics up on the stadium website. It's coming along nicely.

It may be smaller then Croke pk but in terms of modern design, all seating, roofing on all stands it will beats it hands down.

croke pk
    http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/ireland/dublin_croke_park1.jpg

Avia/Landsdown rd
    http://www.ricecollegewestport.ie/business/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/lansdowneroadnew4-1.jpg

How can you compare two stadiums which were designed nearly 20 years apart....modern design.... :rolleyes:

Bluetonic wrote: »
    How can you compare two stadiums which were designed nearly 20 years apart....modern design.... :rolleyes:

Even still its not exactly an imaginative design is it ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Even still its not exactly an imaginative design is it ?

There's always someone who has to rain on it. It's a fantastic design, all flowing lines and a grand scale.

spacetweek wrote: »
    There's always someone who has to rain on it. It's a fantastic design, all flowing lines and a grand scale.

Im not talking about Landsdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Did the site tour courtesy of the FAI a couple of weeks back (My dad may have accidentally given them the impression he was interested in 10-year premium tickets :P ) and got a few pics, will throw them up tomorrow.

Was told anyone can e-mail the FAI, and ask to go on the tour - they want hype for the stadium as much as they want to sell expensive tickets. 2 tours a day with 10 people or so on each one is a good bit of capacity. Word of warning to anyone who does - most of the folks on the tour were executive types in 3-piece suits. If you get on one, don't wear that if it can be avoided. Full hi-viz gear, safety boots, goggles and hard hats just don't work with them - although it was funny to watch :D

Intersting thing actually - the whole stadium will be block-booked. No general sale for anything - be it soccer, rugby, concerts - whatsoever. Cheapest premium level, 10-year seats are €7,000 in two installments by opening day + annual sub of €500 until at least 2019. Most expensive are €12k + €2k a year for 10 years. Needless to say, Dad nearly passed out when he saw that so safe to say I for one won't be going to any games any time soon :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Did the site tour courtesy of the FAI a couple of weeks back (My dad may have accidentally given them the impression he was interested in 10-year premium tickets :P ) and got a few pics, will throw them up tomorrow.

Was told anyone can e-mail the FAI, and ask to go on the tour - they want hype for the stadium as much as they want to sell expensive tickets. 2 tours a day with 10 people or so on each one is a good bit of capacity. Word of warning to anyone who does - most of the folks on the tour were executive types in 3-piece suits. If you get on one, don't wear that if it can be avoided. Full hi-viz gear, safety boots, goggles and hard hats just don't work with them - although it was funny to watch :D

Intersting thing actually - the whole stadium will be block-booked. No general sale for anything - be it soccer, rugby, concerts - whatsoever. Cheapest premium level, 10-year seats are €7,000 in two installments by opening day + annual sub of €500 until at least 2019. Most expensive are €12k + €2k a year for 10 years. Needless to say, Dad nearly passed out when he saw that so safe to say I for one won't be going to any games any time soon :pac:

jesus, thats abit harsh, i wish them well on selling them all, looks like the normal fan is forgotten here, i will be spending my money in england at premiership matches unfortunatley

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jesus, thats abit harsh, i wish them well on selling them all, looks like the normal fan is forgotten here, i will be spending my money in england at premiership matches unfortunatley

For Soccer at least, 29,000 odd of the seats that are general admission come straight off the FAI waiting list, 9,700 for premium, 1,000 for schoolboys, the rest to away supporters or back into GA.

Oh the above premium membership is 6 soccer matches p.a. only. You pay per ticket for the rest.

You can only sell premium tickets to other premium members, also.

• Advertisement

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Intersting thing actually - the whole stadium will be block-booked. No general sale for anything - be it soccer, rugby, concerts - whatsoever.
    Rubbish.

There will of course be general sale of non premium level seats for concerts.

Advertisement