Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - Waterford motorway construction updates

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This should turn into a good thread.

The M9 is a road I know very little about. How many schemes are currently underway, and how long (in kilometers) is each one? How much of the M9 is open as motorway as of now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

The M9 near the Grannagh Interchange is progressing well, with the viaduct being constructed at a good pace.

The M9, upon completion, will be 116.5 km in length, making it the 4th longest motorway in the country at the end of 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Furet wrote: »
    How many schemes are currently underway, and how long (in kilometers) is each one? How much of the M9 is open as motorway as of now?

M9 sections

Kilcullen spur from M7 - 6km - open 1993(?)
    Kilcullen-Carlow - 28km (2010)
    Carlow Bypass - 19km - open 2008
    Carlow-Knocktopher - 40km (2010)
    Knocktopher-Waterford - 24km (2009)

total - open 25km, construction 92km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Kilcullen spur from M7 - 6km - open 1993(?)

Not far off. It was 1994.

This isn't specifically about the M9 motorway, but here is just some information I uploaded to Wikipedia the other day.

After getting my calculator out, I figured out how much motorway we'd have in Ireland by 2015. (This does not factor in the possibility of an M10 and M18).

Motorway Lengths 2015 (Ireland)

M50 - 45 km (28 mi) (Dublin Ring Road)
    M25 - 23 km (14 mi) (Waterford Bypass)
    M20 - 90 km (56 mi) (Cork-Limerick)
    M17 - 25.5 km (15 mi) (Galway-Tuam)
    M11 - 8 km (5 mi) (M50 Extension)
    M9 - 116.5 km (73 mi) (Dublin - Waterford - via M7)
    M8 - 155 km (96 mi) (Dublin - Cork - via M7)
    M7 - 175 km (109 mi) (Dublin - Limerick)
    M6 - 144 km (90 mi) (Dublin - Galway - via M4)
    M4 - 55 km (34 mi) (Dublin - North West)
    M3 - 47 km (29 mi) (Dublin - Kells)
    M1 - 80 km (50 mi) (Dublin - Belfast)

964 km of motorway in Ireland by 2015/602 miles of motorway in Ireland by 2015

If you factor in a possible M10 and M18 that increases to about 990 km.

I'm not sure about the M11, somebody may have to correct me on that, but the rest I'm very sure about.

Hope that helps somebody! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

On the Knocktopher to Powerstown stretch the southern section of this route is more progressed. Most of the stuctures are started. I would think the weather has slowed earth moving. There are two decent bridges, the one at Powerstown over the Barrow and one at Kells over the Kings river. Not much done on either of these yet. Kilkenny is quite lucky as it gets a special interchange IMO - a freeflow trumpet see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interchange_(road))

This junction is currently a huge building site (50 acres) (Like a quarry as it is all rock) that doesnt really resemble a road. This is also the main site office for this project. It resembles a small village with all the facilities. See the pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/30294381@N02/sets/72157607162609456/

My views are my own.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

BluntGuy wrote: »
    The M9 near the Grannagh Interchange is progressing well, with the viaduct being constructed at a good pace.

The M9, upon completion, will be 116.5 km in length, making it the 4th longest motorway in the country at the end of 2010.

I am presuming this is including Powerstown-Waterford, which currently is not actually classified as a motorway. The motorway reclassification SI as published only reclassifies the N9 as motorway to the southern end of the Carlow bypass. Hopefully we will see the rest reclassified at a future date though.

It does.

I was a bit confused why this section was left out of the 24 of September reclassification so I rang the designers in the Tramore Roads Design Office and they said that there are objections on this section. I think that it will be in time it will be reclassified too.

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

johnbk wrote: »
    On the Knocktopher to Powerstown stretch the southern section of this route is more progressed. Most of the stuctures are started. I would think the weather has slowed earth moving. There are two decent bridges, the one at Powerstown over the Barrow and one at Kells over the Kings river. Not much done on either of these yet. Kilkenny is quite lucky as it gets a special interchange IMO - a freeflow trumpet see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interchange_(road))

This junction is currently a huge building site (50 acres) (Like a quarry as it is all rock) that doesnt really resemble a road. This is also the main site office for this project. It resembles a small village with all the facilities. See the pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/30294381@N02/sets/72157607162609456/

Great shots John. Keep them coming. I must say, the road-building has really brought out the kid in me. I think if I were younger it'd probably have prompted me to do civil engineering in university.

icdg wrote: »
    I am presuming this is including Powerstown-Waterford, which currently is not actually classified as a motorway. The motorway reclassification SI as published only reclassifies the N9 as motorway to the southern end of the Carlow bypass. Hopefully we will see the rest reclassified at a future date though.

I'm sure it will be.

It would be an unwise decision not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Will be very interesting to see how the N10 link road is designated-a freeflow trumpet to the M9 means there's no escape route once you pass the last roundabout on the N10 heading towards the motorway, which means the stretch of single carriageway N10 will require motorway restrictions.

murphaph wrote: »
    Will be very interesting to see how the N10 link road is designated-a freeflow trumpet to the M9 means there's no escape route once you pass the last roundabout on the N10 heading towards the motorway, which means the stretch of single carriageway N10 will require motorway restrictions.

Well we'll end up with the situation we used to have at the M6/M4 interchange, where it's signed 'M10' in one direction and 'N10' in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any pics of Knocktopher-Waterford section? Is next to open. One very impressive flyover over the existing N9 north of Mullinavat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

Here is the plan layout of the actual Junction

http://n9-n10kilcullen-waterford.ie/eiswp/chapters/Figure4-131_Dunbell_Junction_eis_wp.pdf

It does.

I was a bit confused why this section was left out of the 24 of September reclassification so I rang the designers in the Tramore Roads Design Office and they said that there are objections on this section. I think that it will be in time it will be reclassified too.

Who would be bothered objecting to this? :rolleyes:. Except perhaps the toll operators on the M8 who fear traffic may divert onto the M9. All I can think of anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

mfitzy wrote: »
    Who would be bothered objecting to this? :rolleyes:. Except perhaps the toll operators on the M8 who fear traffic may divert onto the M9. All I can think of anyhow.

One name springs to mind "Brendan McCann" of the Green Party:mad:

Has anybody any pics of any other sections?

No pics, but if anybody's wondering about the actual number of exits, and where they'll lead then here's a clear scheme layout...

(Make sure to zoom in)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Well we'll end up with the situation we used to have at the M6/M4 interchange, where it's signed 'M10' in one direction and 'N10' in the other.

While it has been done before, it's not really valid. If it can only be reached from a motorway, it's motorway.

More pictures of the M9. What do you think of the roundabout end to the M9?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30294381@N02/sets/72157607393465577/

My views are my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

An absolutely shameful, idiotic and disgraceful piece of short-sightness. The whole N25/N9/N24 junction should be freeflow and will have to be revisited in 10 years for a big, expensive, disruptive upgrade.

Those fools.

As usual we've gone for the option that's ultimately going to be the most expensive. There should a least be a freeflow system for M9-M25 movements. This is ridiculous...

Incidently, as the "creator", if you will, of the M9 wikipedia page, do you mind if I use some of your pictures to brighten up the page?

Use any picture you want. I live in the M9 vicinity so its easy for me to take pictures.

My views are my own.

I have seen the picture of the layout many times but wasnt sure if they would have a slip off the M9 bypassing the roundabout and linking up to the new Granny junction.
    http://www.upthedeise.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/normal_bypass2.jpg
    Anyway, this picture looks very accurate to how the finished junction will be. Now as well as the Limerick traffic and the Dublin taffic meeting at Granny we now have the Rosslare and Cork traffic too. I dont know much about traffic modeling but I think there could be delays at this roundabout the day it opens?

My views are my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

More pictures of the M9. What do you think of the roundabout end to the M9?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30294381@N02/sets/72157607393465577/

Nice pics man!!! :)

About the roundabout - they should have done the Mooncoin by-pass as motorway (I believe that's the plan for the first 3 miles of it anyway!) and have the M9 joining through a trumpet interchange instead of the roundabout - forget about linking in the old N24 then - there's no need!

Regards! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

An absolutely shameful, idiotic and disgraceful piece of short-sightness. The whole N25/N9/N24 junction should be freeflow and will have to be revisited in 10 years for a big, expensive, disruptive upgrade.

The M9/N24 definitely should have been freeflow - the roundabout looks pretty generous in diameter, but it still isn't the correct thing to do IMO.

Regards!

The dual-roundabout setup is one of the laziest 'solutions' to a traffic-management problem I've ever seen.

Some innovation would not have gone amiss on this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

If they've built a very large roundabout with plenty of space between the carriageways of the approach roads then that could mean that they've left room for flyovers in the future, which would be an easy upgrade when/if needed.

If they've built a very large roundabout with plenty of space between the carriageways of the approach roads then that could mean that they've left room for flyovers in the future, which would be an easy upgrade when/if needed.

I suppose that's true.

But I would've at least liked to see an M9 > M25 slip so that drivers can at least avoid the first roundabout. That would've at least taken away the potential for bottlenecks from the M9 onto the N24 link roundabout.

It's too early to judge whether their choice of setup. It all depends on how busy the N25/M25 (whatever it is) bypass route is. But I imagine it'll remove at least 15,000 vehicles from Waterford at peak times.

• Advertisement

Anybody know of approx and opening date/ month or such like? I know the signs say Spring 09.
    Seems to be quite slow in my opinion in their progress since the beginning of this year. Whether that is weather related or not I don't know. Much of the road seems to be laid at this stage but major work remains (to my eyes) particularly around the junctions at Mullinavat & Knocktopher...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement