Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 - Cashel to Cullahill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I agree with many of the posts here.

Our motorway network is much better planned then britain's. It will ultimately offer a wide choice of high-quality routes between all the major towns and cities.

The only problem is that there will be 'under-used' stretches. But you can't just build a chunk of motorway, stop and then build another chunk five miles down just because you think it'll get used more. That makes no sense. Routes have to be consistent, and having partially finished motorway routes isn't what I'd call consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ah but the reservation for the M50 to Naas section of the M7 still exists. If the Naas dual-carriagaway gets overloaded we can build that bit of the M7.
    No chance. SDCC will not be caught dead building that road anywhere near their 'eco-town' (Clonburris) which is where it would need to go. The NRA I believe are also opposed to adding J8 to the M50 as one of the primary congestion causes is weaving at junctions and this stretch is one of the heaviest already.

The decision was made to upgrade the N7 rather than build the M7 offline along that reservation.

As mentioned elsewhere, the thing to do is widen the M7 from Naas North to the M9 diverge and leave the M7 at that. They need to try to remove non-dublin bound traffic from the M50 and to do this the N33/N51/N52/N80 need looking at for upgrade to 2+2.

Having said that, comparing the N7 from the M50 to Naas South to either the M1 or M6 in England is a bit OTT. Dublin has direct links fanning out in a much more balanced way than London mostly due to pure luck-Dublin is nicely positioned midway along the east coast.

I drove Dublin-Belfast for the second time in a week today and I'll tell you, that northern bit, even the A1 dual carriageway sections is very tiring and irritating-constantly watching out for vehicles popping out from behind signs for everything from fireworks to mobile homes-compared to the cluuter free joy of the M1 (both of them!).

The evil A1 needs to be sorted out.

Getting back on topic...

Err... umm... the Cullahill-Cashel stretch is coming along nicely. Should be ready very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

murphaph wrote: »
    No chance. SDCC will not be caught dead building that road anywhere near their 'eco-town' (Clonburris) which is where it would need to go. The NRA I believe are also opposed to adding J8 to the M50 as one of the primary congestion causes is weaving at junctions and this stretch is one of the heaviest already.

The decision was made to upgrade the N7 rather than build the M7 offline along that reservation.

Oh well. Maybe a 2+2 road along the reservation with a terminal junction at the R113 would do the trick?
    As mentioned elsewhere, the thing to do is widen the M7 from Naas North to the M9 diverge and leave the M7 at that. They need to try to remove non-dublin bound traffic from the M50 and to do this the N33/N51/N52/N80 need looking at for upgrade to 2+2.

One of my pet projects! Motorway would be even better. I've attached a rough map of my suggested route.

I vote to call it the M1916! :cool:

Oh well. Maybe a 2+2 road along the reservation with a terminal junction at the R113 would do the trick?

One of my pet projects! Motorway would be even better. I've attached a rough map of my suggested route.

The route needs to be closer to Dublin to get the AADT to justify the MASSIVE expense that road would incur. But good idea, we certainly need a route like that to take pressure off the M50.

But NOT before the other road projects in the T21 plan are delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Putting it closer to Dublin would defeat the purpose of the road - to provide a clear run for long-distance traffic to bypass Dublin. If it was closer to Dublin it would end up as just another commuter route.

Look at the towns that would be connected by the route: Dundalk, Drogheda, Navan, Mullingar, Tullamore, Portlaoise, Carlow, Enniscorthy.

Aside from Enniscorthy all of these towns are substantial and growing centres with a combined total population of 120,000 currently and a projected population of closer to 250,000 by 2050.

Combined with the smaller centres along the route and the long-distance traffic which will use it, there should be enough traffic to justify its existence.

Of course it shouldn't even be begun before Transport 21 is completed. As another poster has said we should at least mark out the routes of roads that'll be needed in the future and buy up the land now while it's dropped in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

lads with is going off the topic of the m8! please just updates on the m8 the board is getting mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

I see that the M8 (toll) Fermoy bypass, after a two year delay, is finally on google maps.:D
    Although its still labelled as N8 it is highlighted in blue.

I cant wate to see what that map will look like on the 24th (That's this day next week!!!:D:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Finally. That whole part of the country seems to be very slow getting updates. The N6 Kilbeggan-Athlone sections and N11 Gorey Bypass both appeared immediately on Google Maps. Still no sign of the N8 Cashel-Mitchelstown HQDC on Gmaps though. And the Cashel-Cahir section has been opened for months.
    I cant wate to see what that map will look like on the 24th (That's this day next week!!!)

There'll probably be a river linking Cork and Dublin knowing Google Maps and some of their stupid inaccuracies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hugely inaccurate still? ;)

It had the Kilbeggan->Athlone scheme in before it opened. It had the Carlow bypass in before it opened. It still hasn't got the Parkwest Distributor (three? four? years old) or the second (2 years) or 3rd (months) stages of the outer ring road...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i think it would need to b closer to dublin aswell... maybe nearer to naas...

I see that the M8 (toll) Fermoy bypass, after a two year delay, is finally on google maps.:D
    Although its still labelled as N8 it is highlighted in blue.

I cant wate to see what that map will look like on the 24th (That's this day next week!!!:D:D:D)

It'll look exactly the same for the next 300 years and THEN they'll change the lines to thaat lovely blue colour...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I drove Dublin-Belfast for the second time in a week today and I'll tell you, that northern bit, even the A1 dual carriageway sections is very tiring and irritating-constantly watching out for vehicles popping out from behind signs for everything from fireworks to mobile homes-compared to the cluuter free joy of the M1 (both of them!).

Admittedly, those signs rarely last long. Last trip up I saw the Roads Service cutting down for sale signs along the A1! This is why there's trucks parked in every adjacent hilly field covered in ads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

On the infrastructure forum, someone has posted that this scheme will open on December 5th - a good time to have it open by, what with Christmas rushes, etc.

I had been hoping, in vain it now seems, for a late October/November opening. Much of the southbound carriageway is being lined at the moment (if it hasn't already been), while the northbound carriageway is receiving its final coat of asphalt between Cashel and Turnpike. At least two overbridges are yet to be finished, and there's a bit of tidying to be done yet, as well as signing.

Rapid progress is now being made. It seems as though the builders are making a bust at it now.

The tie in with the Cashel Bypass is all but complete: both carriageways are in the process of being lined and have cats eyes put down. So, we should see the unsightly sandbags and cones being removed from the northern end of the Cashel Bypass very soon.

The scheme is lined (pretty much) up as far the Horse and Jockey/Thurles junction (Exit 6). From here to the next junction is not lined, nor has the final coat of asphalt been applied. That is being done next week.

From Junction 5 (Two-mile-borris) to Junction 4 (Urlingford) the scheme is complete, except for the actual Junction 4 itself. Rapid progress is being made here, however. From there the scheme is finished right up to the Laois border, where a temporary slip road and roundabout have been placed.

I think they're really determined to have this done in time for Christmas, when there will be a lot of traffic on the route.

The classic sign that a new road is reaching completion is when they start erecting signposts. When they start doing that, the opening is usually only two or three weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

correct me if I'm missing any bits but when this bit is done does that mean the only non dual carriageway stretch left between Dublin and Cork will be the bit between Portlaoise and just south of Abbeyleix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

MYOB wrote: »
    By British standards, perhaps. Our network is better planned then theirs - less funnelling of traffic in to overladen backbones, which requires more length of road. Plus our strange population densities requires high capacity roads through rural areas to link our cities.

England has the highest population density in Europe, I don't think it's fair to compare it to Ireland.

trellheim wrote: »
    correct me if I'm missing any bits but when this bit is done does that mean the only non dual carriageway stretch left between Dublin and Cork will be the bit between Portlaoise and just south of Abbeyleix ?

There's a small bit between Mitchelstown and Fermoy to be done yet, but I think they're building that as well at the moment.

There's a small bit between Mitchelstown and Fermoy to be done yet, but I think they're building that as well at the moment.

Hello ... great big thread on it below this one lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

England has the highest population density in Europe, I don't think it's fair to compare it to Ireland.

Netherlands has a far higher population density.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Netherlands has a far higher population density.
    Actually they are almost the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Actually they are almost the same.

Netherlands: 395 per sq Km
    UK: 246 per sq Km.

Stay on topic lads! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Netherlands: 395 per sq Km
    UK: 246 per sq Km.

He said "England", not the UK.

England: 388.7 per sq km.

Now accept your mistake and move on.

To bring this back on topic...

Would you say the Cashel-Cullahill stretch will be a nicer drive than, say, Cashel-Mitchelstown?

Yup, I was referring to England specifically. I think it was in the news a few weeks ago that they had overtaken the Netherlands. (that was big news here)

BluntGuy wrote: »
    To bring this back on topic...

Would you say the Cashel-Cullahill stretch will be a nicer drive than, say, Cashel-Mitchelstown?

I think so. It's straighter, and it goes through some pretty diverse landscapes such as pasture, bogland, and woodland. There are some very impressive rocky areas too where the contractors had to blast down deep just north of Cashel and close to Johnstown.

I'm very disappointed with the landscaping and verge maintenance on the Cashel to Mitchelstown stretch.

Furet wrote: »
    I think so. It's straighter, and it goes through some pretty diverse landscapes such as pasture, bogland, and woodland. There are some very impressive rocky areas too where the contractors had to blast down deep just north of Cashel and close to Johnstown.

I'm very disappointed with the landscaping and verge maintenance on the Cashel to Mitchelstown stretch.

I agree.

There's not much to see on the Cashel-Mitchelstown stretch, especially between junctions 11 and 12. The road is cut so deeply into the ground in parts, so you don't get any nice views of the countryside.

I'm hoping that Cashel-Cullahill won't be as dissappointing in that regard.

• Advertisement

that was always the nicest bit on the old n8, along the galtees

Advertisement