Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT mega slow last couple of days!! Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Didn't BT buy IOL?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

Jumpy wrote: »
    Guys, I am getting the same speedtest.net results as the rest of you, however a download from heanet gets me 620kB/s

same,i believe the problem is related to either "handshakes" or upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

speedtest.net tells me that i'm getting between 3000kb and 5000kb down with pings of 160ms+ but even loading a web page last night was painfully slow. Eventually turned off the laptop and used my phone's browser as it was quicker. thats a 1st for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

I emailed them and called a number of times, anyone getting any feedback from BT?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Tim131

I got upgraded from 7.6MB to 24Mb (my router is syncing at 22MB)

But this is what I'm getting from speedtest:

320584798.png

Was better off on the 7.6MB methinks. Was gettin faster speeds than that. But my pings have decreased a lot.

I rang technical support today asking what the story was, and the lad there told me, it was a nationwide problem (he blamed eircom :p) and they're trying to sort it out, he say's his IT manager is going mad, and BT and Eircom are having serious meetings about the matter, and are trying to solve the problem, and are sorry for any inconveniece caused.

And get this, I tell him, I download a file from heanet and was getting about 200kb/s and he says thats good! I said, yeah it's fecking brilliant if you're paying for 2MB, but I'm paying for an option 3 premium pacakge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

320626289.png

On BT Premium package about 100metres from the exchange in Dolphin's Barn. It's not just the speed which is totally unpredictable - I never know when the connection will disappear and You Tube and streaming in general is a joke. This is on a fixed desktop pc.

I use a laptop sometimes down in Kildare on a Eircom 2Mbs line. The connection never drops. Surfing is a delight and the streaming is perfect. Mind you they haven't been upgraded yet so they may have problems then. But it's maddening ... makes me think of Smart.

I find the people at BT tech support to be well mannered, but the problem is still there and I've just got the standard suggestions from them. When I was first upgraded it was great apart from You Tube which seems to defeat BT completely from what I've read here. Then the general upgrades started and here I am. I thought that these unbundled lines were supposed to be free of the mayhem caused by the all round upgrades. They certainly aren't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

Sar! wrote: »
    On BT in Portmarnock for almost 4 years and am the same as everyone here - its mega slow especially in the evenings. Never had a problem up until this whole line upgrade was mentioned about 6-8 weeks back then the service got really awful.

Havent been upgraded yet, have constantly been on to BT who havent sorted it out and am seriously considering switching altogether especially now they cant even tell me when the line WILL be upgraded. The service right now for 3mb on BT is totally abysmal and am still paying for the highest package??!!

(We are most definitely not being throttled as are nowhere near our cap and our line can potentially take speeds of up to 15mb so its should not be a problem to upgrade to 8mb...)

What speeds are you getting?

Are you using an ADSL 2+ modem? Should be written under the router. It is if you are using the BT router.

Do you know what your line stats are such as down stream speed?

I think that the majority of exchanges have been upgraded.

You can check if yours has here

http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Alot of people here seem to be getting mixed up with kilobit and kilobyte.

Speedtest shows kb/s when you download at home it defaults to kB/s So when speedtest shows you can download at 3000-5000kb/s that is not what you will get in kB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Elem wrote: »
    I emailed them and called a number of times, anyone getting any feedback from BT?

They've never returned my emails.

The last time I called the twat on the other end of the line insisted that he would not escalate the issue until I 'reset my modem', because this was most likely affecting the speed.

The fact that (at the time) the speed problems were all at peak times was inconsequential to him.

I hate BT. But the only alternative is those thieving clowns at Eircom.

Oh, how NTL & Smart hath forsaken our quiet corner of Dublin. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

It's been a month now that I've had really slow speeds at the time when I most want to use my broadband.

I've phoned them time and time again and I've never got a straight answer.

Is there any point waiting any longer for this to be resolved?

I really don't want to go back to Eircom but I'd rather deal with that shower of (insert your favorite swear word here) then have speeds on a par with dial up :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Profiler wrote: »
    It's been a month now that I've had really slow speeds at the time when I most want to use my broadband.

I've phoned them time and time again and I've never got a straight answer.

Is there any point waiting any longer for this to be resolved?

I really don't want to go back to Eircom but I'd rather deal with that shower of (insert your favorite swear word here) then have speeds on a par with dial up :(
    BT is aware of an intermittent performance issue affecting some of our Consumer Broadband customers at peak times. We apologise if you have already provided any of the information in this email. We need you to run the following tests between the hours of 6pm and 9pm and reply back with the results. This will give us valuable information about the problem while it is happening. We will then have all the information on your connection and setup in one place. This will allow us to log the fault immediately. Thank you for your help and patience in this matter.

No point going back to Eircom as this is where the problem is, the lines are been overloaded and can't handle the upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anybody been on to the papers about this.

reckon a bit of bad publicity works wonders for getting things done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

irishgeo wrote: »
    anybody been on to the papers about this.

reckon a bit of bad publicity works wonders for getting things done.
    I sent off an email to TV3 news about it, a few more sent to them won't hurt:

news@tv3.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Tonight has been the worst so far. Half an hour to download a 3 meg file from Gmail. .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I just tested that 78.x and 194.x
    78.x - 3 mins to load a page, wouldnt even run the speedtest.
    194.x - 2 sec page load, speedtest at 6mb

Their 78. routing is ****ed.
    Surely they should be aware of this by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Got a response from Comreg and they said they are escalating my case with BT. They did say that while they cant enforce Bt to increase speeds they can make sure they deal with my complaint which at the moment they arent. (same as above where they arent answering/returning calls or emails...)

I still have no idea how they cant step in here when BT actually mucked up most peoples current services (which never before had any problems) and when they also falsely advertised about everyone getting new speeds...total joke really.

Im pretty sure now that BT couldnt care less who stays with them as a customer but as above I am also pretty sure theyll care when this whole story goes to the papers/press - TV3, RTE, Irish Times, Newstalk, Silicon Republic the lot...

TO PEOPLE HAVING TROUBLE.

go to www.whatismyip.com (or if you are technically minded and can identify your public IP another way) and I am willing to bet your IP starts with 78.
    If you call tech support mention this!
    They probably already know in second and third line, but the 1st line tech (phone support) may not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

yeah. 78. for me

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

aktelmiele wrote: »

What speeds are you getting?
    Fluctuates but when we have an IP in the 213 range its around 2mb, usable but poor on steaming etc...when we are on any of the 78 IPs we practically cant use the net at all.

Are you using an ADSL 2+ modem? Should be written under the router. It is if you are using the BT router.
    Not using a BT router but its a brand new Belkin ADSL 2+ thanks to ESAT recommending we buy a new one...(fat lot of good that's done...)

Do you know what your line stats are such as down stream speed?
    Downstream is 3072 signifying no upgrade.

I think that the majority of exchanges have been upgraded.
    I think they havent cos ours still says:
    Your line will be upgraded on the weekend of the 9th August

You can check if yours has here
    http://www.btireland.ie/cgi-bin/upgrade_time
    Have constantly checked it and this has never changed...they lie :(

...oh and 21.51pm today disconnected for no reason - restarted router and now on a 78 IP again...what are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

very slow 3mb here,
    also starts with 78.

tell what to tech guy>?

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    TO PEOPLE HAVING TROUBLE.

go to www.whatismyip.com (or if you are technically minded and can identify your public IP another way) and I am willing to bet your IP starts with 78.
    If you call tech support mention this!
    They probably already know in second and third line, but the 1st line tech (phone support) may not.

Yeah, 78.

What does that mean? ie. when tech support give the inevitable bull**** answer, at least I'll be able to scoff.

It means that the problems they are having are on the range marked as "ESAT BT" which begin with a 78.
    The range marked as "Ireland On-line" (194.) seems to have little or no issues.

Tell them this is not your end and MANY people are having the same issues.

It has nothing to do with;

Your router
    Your PC
    Your firmware version on the modem
    Your wireless (well... some of you might have a problem, but its most likely them)

they know 78's are the problem, everyone seems to have complained about it. I know i specifically said it to them that 78's were the problem this morning when i spoke to them, and said they should take it out of the list of available ip ranges. tech just went silent....

phill106 wrote: »
    they know 78's are the problem, everyone seems to have complained about it. I know i specifically said it to them that 78's were the problem this morning when i spoke to them, and said they should take it out of the list of available ip ranges. tech just went silent....

Why do we always end up with one in the 78 range? Is it geographical?

I dont know enough about their config to know if the 78 is assigned to specific locations. I am just re-stating what has been said earlier in the thread.
    Renewing and hoping for a 194 every time the modem is started is not really a viable workaround. I am sure that they are trying to fix it, but a little bit of pressure sometimes speeds things up.

quad_red wrote: »
    Why do we always end up with one in the 78 range? Is it geographical?

doesnt seem to be, as i had one, then got rid of it when i restarted modem. What is likely though is that as there is a finite amount of them, and once people get on a "good" one they cease restarting their modem, could be less and less good ip ranges available, with more and more crappy 78s available, as the techsavvy try to avoid them (now that we seem to know they are crap)

Just restarted (plugged in and out :o ) the modem four times.

Every time got the exact same 78 i.p address.

Anyway, sent BT an email (again) and logged a fault on the website (again). I presume the tech support line isn't open till tomorrow.

Then I'll have the pleasure to talking to a wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

parlico has bing very slow to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

xbox36016 wrote: »
    parlico has bing very slow to

What has Mr. Crosby got to do with this? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

quad_red wrote: »
    Just restarted (plugged in and out :o ) the modem four times.

Every time got the exact same 78 i.p address.

Anyway, sent BT an email (again) and logged a fault on the website (again). I presume the tech support line isn't open till tomorrow.

Then I'll have the pleasure to talking to a wall.
    How long did you disconnect it for?
    I find that if I leave it off for over 30secs I get a new IP.

Boo

Advertisement