Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N17 Frank Fahey bypasses Claregalway - Again!!!

Options
  • 04-09-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭

This guy really is the pits.
    The new road from Oranmore to Tuam will be a reality by 2010, it was announced this week. The tender process will start in early 2009 and construction will start within two years.

The news was confirmed to Fianna Fáil TD and Chairman of the Joint Oireachtas Transport Committee Frank Fahey by the Chief Executive of the National Roads Authority, Fred Barry.

Mr Barry also informed Dep Fahey that the Oranmore to Tuam motorway now provides a definite timescale for the bypass of Claregalway.

The tender process for construction of a new road from Oranmore to Tuam through a Public Private Partnership mechanism will start in early 2009 with work on the road starting within two years.

The NRA will proceed immediately with the tendering process for the Oranmore to Tuam section, to include the Tuam bypass.

The Tuam to Claremorris section of the N17 is still in the planning section and will not be submitted to An Bord Pleanála until 2009, but the NRA will proceed with the road incorporating the Oranmore to Tuam and the Tuam bypass in any case and treat the two sections as separate contracts if necessary.

Dep Fahey said the introduction of the non-tolled PPP funding mechanism has resulted in a “definite starting date” from the NRA. “In effect this means that the process will be even faster that the Galway to Dublin roadway.”

The NRA believes the Oranmore to Tuam motorway will take 80 per cent of the traffic out of Claregalway, “significantly reducing the congestion in the village”.

The Claregalway inner relief road will also proceed through the planning stage but will be subject to the local funding contribution from Galway County Council.

Deputy Fahey said the confirmation on the Oranmore to Claremorris road is “good news not only for Galway but also for the people of the entire West and Midwest of Ireland” as it will result in a dual carriageway standard roadway from Claremorris to Limerick.

He was on local radio this morning, and in fairness, the presenter prefaced his appearance by asking how many times this announcement could be made. FF then stated that the Tender process will start in Jan. 2009 and will take 2 years (->2011). Then add at least 2 years for a construction phase and that takes us to 2013. That's 4½ years away:eek: That's NOT a "reality by 2010" as the report erroneously states.

He also said that he thinks that, because of the necessity to get funding from the local council, the inner relief road will probably not happen before the other road is built - i.e. that's dead.

Of course, the other question is, how does a "non-tolled PPP" work?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 eoinmadden

I can't believe I'm about to stick up for Frank Fahy...

In fairness, while a proper bypass of Claregalway is badly needed, the Oranmore - Tuam road will serve well as such a bypass.

The current plan that Galway County Council have for bypassing Claregalway is ridiculous because:
    a) It has no funding
    b) It will include 9 (nine) roundabouts
    c) In true Galway CoCo fashion it is not about bypassing Claregalway, but opening up more land for housing development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

eoinmadden wrote: »
    The current plan that Galway County Council have for bypassing Claregalway is ridiculous because:
    a) It has no funding
    b) It will include 9 (nine) roundabouts
    c) In true Galway CoCo fashion it is not about bypassing Claregalway, but opening up more land for housing development.

Is there any online documentation about this proposed "Inner relief road"?. I had a look at the roads & transport page on GalwayCoCo webpage but couldn't find any mention of it.

dubhthach wrote: »
    Is there any online documentation about this proposed "Inner relief road"?. I had a look at the roads & transport page on GalwayCoCo webpage but couldn't find any mention of it.

I haven't found any documentation on the Inner Relief Road.

Could it be the brown line on this map?

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/AdoptedPlans/ClaregalwayLocalAreaPlan/filestable/TheFile,6873,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

The new road from Oranmore to Tuam will be a reality by 2010, it was announced this week. The tender process will start in early 2009 and construction will start within two years.

Lets be clear - calling this road the "Oranmore-Tuam motorway" is a bare faced lie. It doen't go anywhere near Oranmore. The route goes from Tuam to Athenry. Not Oranmore, Claregalway, or Galway city. Athenry.

Claregalway will still need a dedicated bypass after this motorway is built, even though one road could conceivably do the lot. The M17 won't help like it should, because it effectively bypasses the Galway urban area entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bards

serfboard wrote: »
    Of course, the other question is, how does a "non-tolled PPP" work?

Govt pays developer a fixed price per year depending on certain criteria inc traffic volumes.

Advantage for Govt is that they have no up front costs and it comes out of the current expenditure account as opposed to the capital account

also refered to as a "Shadow Toll"

• Advertisement

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Lets be clear - calling this road the "Oranmore-Tuam motorway" is a bare faced lie. It doen't go anywhere near Oranmore. The route goes from Tuam to Athenry
    Good point. I hadn't realised that. I thought it was a separate road.

So what is the red line on this map?

That's a separate bypass of Claregalway, shown here in black -

GalwayRoads.jpg?t=1220545479

As you can see, the NRA's use of "Oranmore" for the M17/18 is misleading. To say the least. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Who made that diagram? Reason I'm asking is I havent heard of the N18 being built as M18, yet. Hoping it will be tho :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That Lying Sleeveen Frank Fahey has his very own megathread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055291863

sadly I must update it yet again :(. You will see that Frank just tells the slobbery 'journalists 'in Galway whatever he feels like and the dopes then regurgitate it uncritically.

• Advertisement

Who made that diagram? Reason I'm asking is I havent heard of the N18 being built as M18, yet. Hoping it will be tho :D

I just labelled it M18 for clarity. Right now its planned as HQDC, so likely to become M in due course. Its still a good few years off either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

So what is the red line on this map?

Interesting how it's been used to open up lots of extra land for development, which is fairly typical in this country. They obviously learnt their lesson from Loughrea and didn't try to zone the road route (and thus push up the price for NRA).

This one wont be NRA. The M17 will make the current N17 a regional road, no longer under the authority of the NRA. So Galway Co Co will have to pay for this I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The proposed M17 will be a white elephant, the vast majority of the traffic on the current N17 is local to Galway City and almost all the industrial areas are close to the existing N17, the M17 goes nowhere close to where it is needed most.When will people cop on and stop electing fools like Fahy who either don't care or more likely have their own hidden agenda.:mad:

Madeleine Flanagan the Claregalway Bypass Campaigner was quoted in the Tuam Herald today .

It's possible the clargalway bypass will be put back yet another 18 months becuase an EIS may be required

The article is here for the next few days

http://www.tuamherald.ie/pages/page1.pdf
    “The credibility of the Government is in question. Deputies Frank Fahey and Noel Grealish are not giving the same message nor the complete facts on the road situation.

As if the truth ever bothered those two Marion as you of all people should know :(
    Local elections are scheduled for summer 2009 and it’s clearly time that the beleaguered residents of Claregalway came together again to focus attention on the health and safety issues created by traffic in the area,” said Ms Flanagan.

Ye have enough votes out there for two seats on the council Madeleine , use them wisely and use them ruthlessly !

Another high profile protest or two would do ye no harm either. Make sure it is on friday or monday when Noel and Frank are in their constituency ..or should be.

It's amazing to see all the Towns that have been by-passed which have only a fraction of the traffic Claregalway has. Guess it's the difference between having effective Politicians and moronic ones.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

galwayrush wrote: »
    It's amazing to see all the Towns that have been by-passed which have only a fraction of the traffic Claregalway has. Guess it's the difference between having effective Politicians and moronic ones.:mad:

While that's true, in fairness it's a question of National priorities. The MIUs were first (hence bypassing towns like Carlow and taking 10,000 vehicles off the road :rolleyes:), supposedly then to be followed by the Atlantic Corridor. One part of the Corridor that was built was the Ennis bypass, and again, you couldn't argue with that, it was a terrible bottleneck.

The next parts, though, AFAIK, were to be prioritised based on road safety, hence Gort-Crusheen would take priority over Athenry-Tuam.

What is completely unacceptable though, is this drip-feed of falsehoods from Frankeen and the soon-to-be-FFer Noel Grealish.

Just to clarify a few bits here before people get into knots :D

This article is about the Claregalway relief road, what is termed as a 'local bypass' of Claregalway. It'll have about 9 roundabouts and will skirt the edges of the town. Of course it'll need an EIS, so it will be delayed for 18 months more.

The article is NOT about the M17 Athenry to Tuam motorway, which serves as a long distance route and goes nowhere near Claregalway. Recent rumours suggest this may be built in tandem with the N17 Tuam bypass.

The best solution for Claregalway would be a roundabout at Loughgeorge with a dual carriageway from there to Galway running at the back of Hughes, with an access road /flyover joining the Oranmore road to it.

galwayrush wrote: »
    The best solution for Claregalway would be a roundabout at Loughgeorge with a dual carriageway from there to Galway

True but a docking point with the bypass is a tad tricky although it could be done around the area of the An Post depot on the Tuam Road . It would have to come down a narrow channel between Parkmore on the Hill and the Roadstone Quarry . The best bet is to come right in the back of Parkmore East Estate .

Anyway Brian Cowen himself will make the next announcement on Claregalway , move over Frank and STFU willya .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055377225

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mayoimafriad

Claregalway will just have to wait for its bypass! its not the only village/town in ireland to suffer from traffic congestion.

Claregalway will just have to wait for its bypass! its not the only village/town in ireland to suffer from traffic congestion.

Go on ya panicky Fianna Fáil dredge up old thread that Frank tells you and comment like a newb ya !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Yes but its one of very few that have a high volume of AADT going through it. Its not about the village, its the amount of traffic it generates. Adare is another that has a high level at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

N20,N21,N17 imo needs attention

i think Adare and Claregalway needs to be bypassed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

mysterious wrote: »
    i think Adare needs to be bypassed now.

With the blue swerving route on the northern N20 section. I cant wait for that. It going to be a long time before we see the likes of Abbeyfeale, Newcastle west and Templeglantine being bypassed. Somewhere in the next 20 years would seem realistic.

Advertisement