Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment - Stage 4 - The Medical

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭inspector71

The medical info said to wear clothes appropriate for a medical examination when you go to the med, I take it tracksuit bottoms/shorts and a t-shirt would be grand ?
    Has anyone ever wore a suit to one?
    quite worried about not getting my regular doctor to fill out my MHQ, has anyone else had similar problems!
    At first I was complaining about how little notice I was given, but it seems like the days are dragging towards it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

I wore tracksuit bottoms and t shirt. Cant imagine anyone turning up in a suit, its not a formal meeting or anything.

Its just you and a nurse in a room doing some tests and talking about your past, shes not going to be impressed by your clothes and let you in the police so dont wear a suit thinking it will impress people :D

I took my MHQ to Gp and he signed it and ticked all the boxes there and then, free of charge as well. I have had him as my doc since i was born though so he knows me. Some of them will ask for £20 to sign the forms :confused:

I'm gonna see if i can get a cancellation for my regular GP I think, I've got the stand in guy to fall back on, but my actual GP I've known so long he recalls me peeing on him when i was a baby :o:o:o.

Just calculated my BMI and it was 27.5!! :D

Yeah it can help speed things up if you have a good doctor.

I worried about the BMI thing as well cause I was pretty heavy but when she measured me on the day it worked out to be 25.5 and I had worked it out to be 28.5. They measure you with shoes on so make sure you stand up every inch you can, and dont eat much before it, and make sure you get to the ****ter in the morning... every little helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

I'm gonna see if i can get a cancellation for my regular GP I think, I've got the stand in guy to fall back on, but my actual GP I've known so long he recalls me peeing on him when i was a baby :o:o:o.

Just calculated my BMI and it was 27.5!! :D

Dont worry about it as long as your body fat isn't to bad it should be fine. My BMI is 31 but my bodyfat is around 10% and I don't think i can change that unless i grow a bit taller or strave myself until I get a nedical date.

• Advertisement

owen1976 wrote: »
    Dont worry about it as long as your body fat isn't to bad it should be fine. My BMI is 31 but my bodyfat is around 10% and I don't think i can change that unless i grow a bit taller or strave myself until I get a nedical date.

If your BMI is less than 30 though they don't test your body fat, is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭owen1976

If your BMI is less than 30 though they don't test your body fat, is that right?

Yeah thats right. Don't worry to much, your BMI is under 30 at the min. So as long as you don't go to chip heaven between now and your medical you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭smyff

if they take a hair sample n your head hair is really short do they take a hair sample elsewhere. like from your legs or something?

smyff wrote: »
    if they take a hair sample n your head hair is really short do they take a hair sample elsewhere. like from your legs or something?

To answer your question :
    Hate to spoil the fun MGH of the thought of the good old 'slap heads' getting the short and curlys plucked. I looked at the sheet that i think came with the vetting forms (maybe it was AC pass letter) and it says pubic hair would not be used:D:D

They say a "sample" means- and I quote;

(a) a sample of hair, other than pubic, complete with roots;
    (b) saliva; or
    (c) a swab taken from the mouth

So good news for all you baldies:)

According to my medical pack -
    "a collection of samples such as urine, hair, blood and saliva"

Anyone have trouble peeing on demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

owen1976 wrote: »

10% body fat is very good. Don't try and change that.

• Advertisement

yeah 10% body fat at BMI of 31, you must be complete rock solid muscle man! :cool:

There's a section in the medical health questionnaire where your asked to "Please list how many days you have been absent from work, school or college etc, in the last three years due to sickness. For each period of absense please also indicate the dates and the reason:"

I don't really know what to do here, I've had 3 jobs in this period of time and i have no idea when i was off sick. I worked in a really really boring office for a years work experience when i was at uni, and i hated it and was 'sick' quite often!

I can't remember the last time i was off for anything more than a day, or when i was off with anything more serious than a dose of the skitters and i DEFINATELY cant remember when any of these are!

I'm sure plenty of you have seen this section before, anyone got any advice? It would be MUCH appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

i just put down anything big. had an operation on my wrist a few years ago and that was it. was off for a month.
    pretty hard to remember every single day you have ever been sick in three years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

There's a section in the medical health questionnaire where your asked to "Please list how many days you have been absent from work, school or college etc, in the last three years due to sickness. For each period of absense please also indicate the dates and the reason:"

I don't really know what to do here, I've had 3 jobs in this period of time and i have no idea when i was off sick. I worked in a really really boring office for a years work experience when i was at uni, and i hated it and was 'sick' quite often!

I can't remember the last time i was off for anything more than a day, or when i was off with anything more serious than a dose of the skitters and i DEFINATELY cant remember when any of these are!

I'm sure plenty of you have seen this section before, anyone got any advice? It would be MUCH appreciated.

i wouldnt worry to much inspector, i think it means if you were of for any prolonged periods for example personal reasons, stress etc! if you were of for just a day or two here and then,it wouldnt be worth writing down,i could be wrong tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

I must be some kind of anorak. I've got a list of any dates I've been off. I need to get out more.

dont see the point in making a problem where there isnt one. Think its long peroids of illness they are looking for, everyone has a bit of sickness now and again

ive been working since i was 17 and only taken 1 weeks holiday which was for my 18th. 1 sick day, cause i had the ****s due to too much buckfast :S

btw, when is the actual start date for the medical to start? and when would it be due to end?

last campaign I think they started last november, and were still going at the end of may, maybe even into June.

hmmmmm so that means that its likely it wont be for around a month then cheif?

• Advertisement

Someone on here has got a medical date within the next two weeks sometime, so they have started by looks of it. Depending on if you have got vetting forms yet and how high up the merit order you are, and background, it could be anytime in the next six months.

The earlier you recieve vetting the sooner you will get a medical I believe.

cool. theres so many things on this forum that its hard to understand!!! just means i can improve my stats (fitness i dunno where i get stats from, too much games haha) and then ill be ready if i get into the whole thing :)

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jonboy22

Hey ppl, how's it goin? i had this all typed out b4 and then my computer froze ahhhhh!! so listen this may sound a bit strange but jus bear with me lol, i thought of this when a mate came back from amsterdam. Its kind of a hypothetical situation really.

So say, for example, i pass the initial selection tests and pass the assessment centre so the next part i face is the medical/fitness test yeah, but i'm goin to amsterdam in a few weeks and say when i'm there i consume a drug e.g. weed or whatever u want to call it which is completely legal in that country. Now i come back home to N.Ire, take the medical test, get a positive reading, does that mean i fail? even though i've not done anythin illegal? and even have proof that i've recently been to amsterdam.

Bit of a mind-boggler eh? lol

Jon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

jonboy22 wrote: »
    Hey ppl, how's it goin? i had this all typed out b4 and then my computer froze ahhhhh!! so listen this may sound a bit strange but jus bear with me lol, i thought of this when a mate came back from amsterdam. Its kind of a hypothetical situation really.

So say, for example, i pass the initial selection tests and pass the assessment centre so the next part i face is the medical/fitness test yeah, but i'm goin to amsterdam in a few weeks and say when i'm there i consume a drug e.g. weed or whatever u want to call it which is completely legal in that country. Now i come back home to N.Ire, take the medical test, get a positive reading, does that mean i fail? even though i've not done anythin illegal? and even have proof that i've recently been to amsterdam.

Bit of a mind-boggler eh? lol

Jon

I love these. Yes you will fail. If you're question isn't 'hypothetical' then don't continue to the medical if selected. A drug test using hair samples will show not only show what drugs have been consumed, but approximately when it/they were consumed and to what extent. Now, my thughts are; the PSNI website may say that you will be rejected in this campaign but may re-apply. But, I would imagine your rejection criteria will be not meeting the medical standards due to drug use/abuse. This will surely then be a huge neon sign at your next medical. Again, only my thoughts on that last point.

If you're point really is 'hypothetical' (;)) then just because you consumed the drug in a country where the laws allow it, this does not make you immune laws in this country. For example, In a hypothetical situation; if I worked in Saudi Arabia and earned the right to hold dual nationality, would I be allowed to stone my British/Irish wife to death for adultery in that country and not be expected to be extradited to the UK/Ireland for trial by her family for murder?

Then again, Saudi Nationals committed attrocities on 9/11 and the only flight to leave the USA that day was bound for Saudi Arabia with Saudi Royals on board. I watch the X Files. I know these things :D

Johnboy you old kidder... :D:D

Seriously, think about it logically. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jonboy22

Ok, point taken on board :D

So what about passive smoking of the stuff because i really don't want to fail the medical :( A few of my friends are wanting me to go to amsterdam and i know what some of them will be doin :rolleyes: (should i arrest them when they come back? lol) but if i was to be with them in these 'smoking cafes', would i still fail the med test? as i am probably still consuming the stuff via passive smoking? :confused:

Also, 1 more thing, u c the hair sample, is it taken from ur head or hairs on ur arm etc?

P.S i know this all sounds strange and seedy but i'm not into any of tht carry-on but i cant help it if sum ppl i know are.

Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Heres a thought - dont go to Amsterdam just before a police medical.
    I know thats a really out there train of thought.....

Have you even got a medical date yet anyway?:confused:
    jonboy22 wrote: »
    Ok, point taken on board :D

So what about passive smoking of the stuff because i really don't want to fail the medical :( A few of my friends are wanting me to go to amsterdam and i know what some of them will be doin :rolleyes: (should i arrest them when they come back? lol) but if i was to be with them in these 'smoking cafes', would i still fail the med test? as i am probably still consuming the stuff via passive smoking? :confused:

Also, 1 more thing, u c the hair sample, is it taken from ur head or hairs on ur arm etc?

P.S i know this all sounds strange and seedy but i'm not into any of tht carry-on but i cant help it if sum ppl i know are.

Jon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Jonboy
    Only a guess here but i would say if you tested positive, even due to passive smoking, it would still be a fail. The reason being you put your self in a situation were drugs were being used.

If joining the PSNI is a real dream like it is for everyone else here i would reconsider going on the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bullslinebacker

Guys and gals,

I just thought i would let y'all know that in C13 i failed my medical on three different areas, appealed, and will now be starting on the 12th October at hotel Garnerville. Should anyone have any questions on the medical appeals process i am more than happy to pass on my (limited) knowledge. Hopefully none of you will fail anyways!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

Guys and gals,

I just thought i would let y'all know that in C13 i failed my medical on three different areas, appealed, and will now be starting on the 12th October at hotel Garnerville. Should anyone have any questions on the medical appeals process i am more than happy to pass on my (limited) knowledge. Hopefully none of you will fail anyways!!!!:D

Was excessive facial hair one of them????!!!
    I have a shocking 'tache myself:D

Advertisement