Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future Fimware Updates You'd Like to See

• 29-08-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

I thought it'd be interesting to have a wishlist thread for the PS3 and see what people hope for and expect with their PS3. The purpose of this thread is things you'd like to have added to the machine. Try and lay out your idea's clearly so if someone wants to have a quick look at the thread it's all neat and tidy.

1 - Better media management. I had a thread on the PS3 as a media centre and while it's potentially a great machine for this purpose it's OS really lets it down. The XMB as it stands is not geared towards browsing long lists of video's and music. This really really annoys me and needs to be sorted out. Sony need to have a look at XMBC and see how it should be handled.

2 - Internet Radio. The PSP has one so I don't see any reason that there shouldn't be one on the PS3. Sony want it to become the centre of your digital entertainment, then include this in a future firmware release.

3 - Better codec support. Isn't the reason this is crap because of some issue with microsoft? Regardless of the reason the PS3 like the PSP is hit and miss when it comes to video support. It may or may not playback your video's.

4 - Better content on PSN. Let's be honest about it, the PSN is pretty crap. It's had a great redesign but the lack of anything worthwhile to download means I don't visit it that often. When are we supposed to be getting downloadable movies?

5 - Screensavers. Why oh why doesn't the PS3 have a screensaver? I know it has Folding@Home but that's an application rather than a screensaver. It's a basic thing, every PC in the world has this feature. Why not give us the option to cycle through our pictures rather than just dulling the image on screen after a few minutes.

They are the main things I'd like to see addressed, in particular the XMB's handling of large amounts of video and music- it's simply crap at the moment.

What are yours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bassbomber

id love some free downloadable games not just demos ya know and y can ps1 games b played on the ps3 ???? just the psp WTF!! lol also i dont use my cred card COZ I AINT GOT ONE!!!!! i hate using em y can we have a thing where u go to game and buy a card worth 10 euro or something and then punch that in to the psn if ya wanna buy stuff the wii has it and world of war craft did it y cant ps3??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

bassbomber wrote: »
    y can ps1 games b played on the ps3 ???? just the psp WTF!!

From what I can gather, you believe you can't play PS1 titles on the PS3, but that you can on the PSP. You are half right. They can be played on both.
    lol also i dont use my cred card COZ I AINT GOT ONE!!!!! i hate using em y can we have a thing where u go to game and buy a card worth 10 euro or something and then punch that in to the psn if ya wanna buy stuff the wii has it and world of war craft did it y cant ps3??

There are PSN vouchers you can buy, they just aren't available here yet. I don't know any specifics but I have heard they will be available soon, hopefully before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

next update: 3 words. ps2 backwards compatibility! (itll never happen tho :mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bassbomber

Otacon wrote: »
    From what I can gather, you believe you can't play PS1 titles on the PS3, but that you can on the PSP. You are half right. They can be played on both.

sorry CANT my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

2 - Internet Radio. The PSP has one so I don't see any reason that there shouldn't be one on the PS3. Sony want it to become the centre of your digital entertainment, then include this in a future firmware release.

That would be heavenly if they did that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

[/B]

You'll be getting this in early 2009, which is pretty cool. As for actual internet radio, I'd be very surprised if it's not already on the cards.

Seen the video for that on the PSN but will it be free on there also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

sorry CANT my mistake

yes, but you CAN play ps1 games on the ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Helix wrote: »

is it not only 60gb versions that can?

All PS3's can play PS1 games. Only the 60GB versions can play some PS2 games.

• Advertisement

is it not only 60gb versions that can?

no, thats ps2 games

ps1 games work on any version of the ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I'd like to see that in-game pause and back to XMB feature work for dvd/bluray playback

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

aaf wrote: »
    I'd like to see that in-game pause and back to XMB feature work for dvd/bluray playback

^this, i'd also like the to tweak in game XMB to be smoother, they said it was going to be as smooth as non-game XMB but it's substantially slower.

also a screen saver would be great for us with plasma's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Browser upgrade
    PS1 game installing (if this can be done please do tell)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Being able to use NTFS on external harddrives so you can copy files over 4gb to the PS3 harddrive!

And adding a better file structure so you can add subfolders and manage your media better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

as previously said by op the lack of codecs is a real pain, why oh why?
    Sick of using external software to convert to ps3 format...same for my music files....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Internet radio. Simple and handy addition

Screensaver: due to having a plasma, I'd prefer this option to a dulled image

Home made games available on the store (with the ability for people to make them). A bit like those Net Yaroze games that were available for the PS1 (used to be able to get the full homemade games on the OPSM back in the day)

Better codec support.

for the people asking for screen savers, why not just turn off your telly?

why turn off the telly when answering the door, phone, making a cuppa or pouring a beer

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, it wouldn't be that difficult to be implemented.

And, I personally wouldn't bother turning off the TV if away making coffee or having dinner in the kitchen for 10 mins.

What I do at the moment, is just change the TV to the satellite input instead, so there's TV station running instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Shanegggg

Moving the clock up a bit so you can actually see the time when playing a game (when you press the ps button) instead of it being blocked by the controllers battery status!

MKV support would be nice!! :D

Storing information of owned games so that updates would be downloaded automatically in the back ground when available.

Be able to play music in every game not just the new ones.

No more installs!! Hard drive (60GB) is nearly full already!

Shanegggg wrote: »

No more installs!! Hard drive (60GB) is nearly full already!

I would love the option to install my PS1 games, to remove loading times.
    Playing FF9 again and bloody thing is doing my head in with all the loads.

(unless installing would do nothing for this, in which case forget that)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

byte wrote: »
    Well, it wouldn't be that difficult to be implemented.

And, I personally wouldn't bother turning off the TV if away making coffee or having dinner in the kitchen for 10 mins.

What I do at the moment, is just change the TV to the satellite input instead, so there's TV station running instead.

thats more effort than turning off the tele. but anyway i would like to see an in game private chat so i could talk to my friends while we are playing different games. its a bit stupid having a private chat function that doesn't work if you want to do anything other than chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Michael-O'Neill

he means the downloaded ps1 titles not the discs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

In addition to many of the features already mentioned (More codecs supported FTW!) I'd like to see a feature to back up PS1 and PS2 saved games on the hard disk to removable media.
    he means the downloaded ps1 titles not the discs

Not so, you can play PS1 discs on any PS3, not just PS1 titles downloaded from the PSN.

Advertisement